8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
It looks like this site may change down the line. I wonder what the zoning is here. It's commercial use now and I really doubt the city would change that. I also would expect UofT might be quite interested in the land too.

Tower in the park design aside, I'd rather not see this move. The synergies of the location between patient care and research here are important.

From the CBC:

"A massive rent increase at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health's College Street facility could put the hospital's future on the street in jeopardy.

CAMH says it is locked in a dispute with the landowner, Brookfield Asset Management, over the rent hike.

City councillor Joe Cressy accuses Brookfield of "bully tactics" that could jeopardize the hospital's future on College Street.

"Brookfield … is trying to force out a mental health hospital to make way for condos," Cressy said."

From Councillor Joe Cressy:

"Recently, CAMH announced that a court-appointed appraiser ruled in their favour. They found that "fair market value" for the facility should be based on the existing institutional zoning, a position held by CAMH, the City of Toronto, and the surrounding community.

In his ruling, the appraiser assigned a fixed-rent for 20 years, starting in 2018, which will allow CAMH to remain."

Thank god. The idea that Brookfield could've driven CAMH out of this facility was honestly horrifying. I'm glad to see that CAMH no longer has to worry about such ridiculously predatory practices. Now if only we hadn't sold the property in the first place...

Bought by UofT: https://www.utoronto.ca/news/university-toronto-acquires-key-parcel-land

"The university is buying the property from a fund managed by Brookfield Asset Management, for $123-million. The site includes three buildings built in 1968 – a 15-storey tower that fronts on College Street and two buildings on Russell Street. There is also a house on College Street currently used for office space, and a parking garage."

Do we know if CAMH will stay here in any part beyond the opening of the next buildings at their Queen Street site, or will Queen Street take everything that's now here?

In the meantime, it's a major win for the U of T to get this land.

the stuff on the Queen Street site that is starting construction soon is exclusively replacement / expansion of the existing facilities. There is potential for additional development to accommodate the facilities here, but it is not in the next phase.

Do we know if CAMH will stay here in any part beyond the opening of the next buildings at their Queen Street site, or will Queen Street take everything that's now here?

In the meantime, it's a major win for the U of T to get this land.

It's for CAMH use until 2038 with an option to renew again to 2058.

Back