8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

marcus_a_j

Member Bio
Reaction score
Canada’s Mens National Soccer Team qualified for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar after beating Jamaica 4-0 at BMO Field. It’s the second time the mens team had qualified - first time since 1986.

I’m totally a bandwagon jumper since the final 8 CONCACAF qualifying began. I’ve always followed the team generally speaking but never got my hopes up about their chances to make the WC. Now I can’t miss a match, and they’ve all been exciting and entertaining to watch. They didn’t just squeeze into the WC but dominated. Canada will likely finish top of the octagon after qualifying wraps up later this week and I think that is what’s most impressive. Curious to see who the other countries will be in their WC group.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing to see the team's rise in recent years. Men's soccer (among other sports) has often taken a backseat to hockey in terms of national spotlight. But the level and amount of talent in soccer and basketball has really elevated in recent years.

From: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/15/world-cup-2022-power-rankings-final-32-qatar

I'm surprised they have us ranked that high - 16 out of 32. I recall we are in a pretty tough group, and so getting past the group stage is all I'm hoping for.

I just realized that this year's WC will be held in...December. Previously it was always a fun ritual to be able to enjoy games on raucous patios in beautiful summer weather. Talk about a let down. Combine that with it taking place during the holiday season in the stressful lead up to Christmas, and people aren't going to care. Moronic decision.

I just realized that this year's WC will be held in...December. Previously it was always a fun ritual to be able to enjoy games on raucous patios in beautiful summer weather. Talk about a let down. Combine that with it taking place during the holiday season in the stressful lead up to Christmas, and people aren't going to care. Moronic decision.
The average temperature in Qatar in June/July is 36C. In December it's 21C. If it's played in June/July, players are going to suffer heat exhaustion and ultimately affect the games.

The average temperature in Qatar in June/July is 36C. In December it's 21C. If it's played in June/July, players are going to suffer heat exhaustion and ultimately affect the games.
I know it's to benefit the players - the moronic decision was to host it there in the first place.

Every single person on earth should boycott the World Cup. Human rights are being violated.

Qatar official says homosexuality is 'damage in the mind' before World Cup kicks off​

Some Qatar hotels won't accept same-sex couples despite FIFA promises-report​

Why would they hold the World Cup in such a stone age country?

Homosexual behaviour is illegal in Qatar.

Dress code​

You should dress modestly when in public, including while driving. Women must cover their shoulders and avoid wearing short skirts. Both men and women are advised not to wear shorts or sleeveless tops, when going to government buildings, health care facilities or malls. If you do not dress modestly, you may be asked to leave or be denied entry to these locations.

Back