I agree with many of the comments made here.

Height of towers and density is appropriate. Layout and details leave much to be desired.

Why are they breaking the streetwall along Yonge in such a significant way right near this important urban intersection? There should be a continuous (not broken) strip of retail along Yonge.

For that matter, why are they breaking the rectilinear grid with the orientation of any buildings here?

Aligning the park with the existing cul-de-sac of SFH across Duplex is just bizarre. I always hoped that cul-de-sac might someday be history, but even if that is a fantasy, why draw attention to it?

The park space makes more sense near the south of the site rather than the north, or in a north-south alignment to the west side of the site.

And I certainly agree with those who have pointed out how unfortunate it is that a new cul-de-sac was included. I also hoped for an increase, rather than what sounds like a maintenance, of office space.

The residential being rental is what I had hoped for, and is very much welcome here.

Last edited:
And I certainly agree with those who have pointed out how unfortunate it is that a new cul-de-sac was included.

Fool me twice, Oxford...

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.36.36 AM.png

645,834.63 square feet of office is a bit less than expected -- that seems to be pretty much just replacing what's there now.

Also, I think this part of the city needs more park space. It's also literally across the street from SFHs in typical Toronto fashion. I hope that the surrounding areas can at least be rezoned for missing middle zoning.

Agreed, I was hoping there would be more office space here vs just a replacement. I wonder what this means for Canadian Tire / TVO / ...

Agree with the general feeling here. Really a huge miss on the master plan. Nothing wrong with the density, and the amount of green space is a plus, but it makes me wonder what I'm missing about the economics or engineering of large towers. I'm a layman, so I have to wonder, are there reasons I'm unaware of that make it difficult to accommodate the most basic planning principles?

Agreed, I was hoping there would be more office space here vs just a replacement. I wonder what this means for Canadian Tire / TVO / ...

According to CT REIT's September 2020 Investor Presentation, Canadian Tire Corporation (CTC) has signed a conditional lease agreement for a new head office building to anchor the first phase of the redevelopment.

1606562240321.png

I like the park in the proposal and towers look good and the heights are good too, but too bad the city of Toronto is going to destroy the look of the building and decrease its height

I like the park in the proposal and towers look good and the heights are good too, but too bad the city of Toronto is going to destroy the look of the building and decrease its height

You are entitled to your preferences in respect of the park; though personally, I don't find a wind-swept, shady park a desirable thing. I love my parks, but this doesn't seem well thought out.

But on the office component; The City is the landowner here..........and the heights are the result of negotiating with the City; and lease revenue for the land paid to the City is dependent on what gets built............I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of reduced height/density here.

Though by the time critics here and in the area get done tearing into everyone who came up w/this, I do expect material changes.

But not likely to overall height/density.

I think putting a park at one of Toronto's most important urban intersections is bizarre and unnecessary, especially in such a shaded and windswept location. Why not deck over the TTC rail line to the south down to Davisville and put a park there?

^ I completely disagree. There should be more parks interspersed within high density zones otherwise you end up with just another concrete jungle.

I think putting a park at one of Toronto's most important urban intersections is bizarre and unnecessary, especially in such a shaded and windswept location. Why not deck over the TTC rail line to the south down to Davisville and put a park there?
^ I completely disagree. There should be more parks interspersed within high density zones otherwise you end up with just another concrete jungle.

A park as part of this proposal is entirely reasonable. That should not be at issue; this is a very good sized site; and the area is short of park space already.

The problem is the arrangement of the park space on the site.

Its situated within the site in such a way that it will receive very little sun light, making the experience of using the space less pleasant and limiting its potential for healthy vegetation.

It's also likely to have higher levels of wind; and the space as conceived, while large enough to have utility, will not, because of the awkward layout/shape.

The idea of decking over the subway for park space will almost certainly be pursued irrespective of this proposal, but is insufficient to meet the needs of this area.

However, that likely future project also dictates the good sense of situating any park at the south end of the site, such that it 'connects' to the future green space to the south.

This has the added benefit of granting it unimpeded southern sun, and a more hospitable environment.

At the same time, by shifting the park south, there is room to fill in the gap created by the park along the Yonge frontage which would serve to deaden the street.

Better to have quality retail instead. (with density overhead).

Last edited:

Back