News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Should also create a Canadian Expansion Tollway thread as well!

Given how quiet this thread is, perhaps a simple highway thread is best. I don't see there's going to be much discussion on non-GTA roads, that would call for extra threads.
Let's discuss a branch of the Trans-Canada Highway passing through Toronto.

I suggest Highway 6 from Espanola to Hamilton (via Manitoulin Island and the Bruce Peninsula), then along Highway 403 to the QEW to the Gardiner to the DVP, then along the 401 to Highway 416 to join up with the rest of the Trans-Canada Highway.

I suggest Highway 6 from Espanola to Hamilton (via Manitoulin Island and the Bruce Peninsula), then along Highway 403 to the QEW to the Gardiner to the DVP, then along the 401 to Highway 416 to join up with the rest of the Trans-Canada Highway.
That include a 4 lane bridge from South Baymouth to Tobermory too!

you could shorten it by doing several spans between different islands in the area, but I believe they are all environmentally protected, and even then, the main span would need to be over 8km long.

To what end? A few signs? The province is responsible for highway infrastructure with the feds kicking in funding under a variety of projects. TCH already follows multiple routes through the province. The Gardiner and DVP are municipal roads BTW.

To what end? A few signs? The province is responsible for highway infrastructure with the feds kicking in funding under a variety of projects. TCH already follows multiple routes through the province. The Gardiner and DVP are municipal roads BTW.

Yeah. There's no need for the TCH to come anywhere near Toronto. In fact, I'd junk the Georgian Bay/Central Ontario route from Sudbury to Ottawa via Highways 69/400, 12, and 7. It's a strange anachronism that is barely signed as it is. Only Highway 17/417 should be signed in Southern Ontario. Halifax does just fine being left off the TCH as well.

In Northern Ontario, having two routes -- Highway 17 and Highway 11 -- as the TCH makes more sense. Highway 11 is the only alternative road to 17 in many sections, and most truckers prefer the longer Highway 11 route through Cochrane and Hearst than 17 through the Soo because it's a flatter, straighter, drier road. (And Highway 11 was competed before Highway 17 was.)

Last edited:
Yeah. There's no need for the TCH to come anywhere near Toronto. In fact, I'd junk the Georgian Bay/Central Ontario route from Sudbury to Ottawa via Highways 69/400, 12, and 7. It's a strange anachronism that is barely signed as it is. Only Highway 17/417 should be signed in Southern Ontario. Halifax does just fine being left off the TCH as well.

[Edit] The purpose of a national highway system is to connect cities, not avoid them. I'd get rid of the GB\CO routes too, but I'd replace it with a route through Toronto by via 400/401.

Better yet, why not implement a general national highway system and scrap the strictly transcontinental "Trans-Canada" Highway? That would make more sense. The TCH as-is has a lot of branches that piggyback over middle-of-nowhere roads that in themselves go nowhere, while important routes are not part of it.

Last edited:
There is a "National Highway System", which is different than the TCH.

If you look at the link, some municipal routes are also included (i.e. Highway 7 from 400 to MacMillan Yard (CNR rail year in Concord).

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/policy/NHS_2007.pdf
https://comt.ca/english/NHS-Report-English.pdf

NHS_2007.jpg

North-western Ontario looks so bare, compared with the other provinces. Only one roadway between Thunder Bay and Kenora.
Highway 11 is not included - but even if it were, NW Ontario would be pretty bare. Maybe the Ring of Fire highway will be added as a Northern Route.
If this was done 80 years ago, highway 105 to Red Lake may have been included for Gold mining.

Highway 11 is not included - but even if it were, NW Ontario would be pretty bare. Maybe the Ring of Fire highway will be added as a Northern Route.
If this was done 80 years ago, highway 105 to Red Lake may have been included for Gold mining.

The Ring of Fire road will be one way in, one way out. If it's by road the most likely route will go via Pickle Lake/Nibinamik/Webequie (with side roads to Neskantaga and Kasabonika).

If its by rail it'll go north from Nakina (Eabametoong, Marten Falls and others may be serviced via gravel roads starting at points along this rail line).

But one way in/one way out. Just like how Quebec services the Hydroelectric dams.

Back