8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

skycandy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Better late than never...work finally beginning on this. This should stand out especially west-bound on Dundas due to the kink in Dundas at the intersection. Should look interesting - laser-cut weathered steel with LED lighting from the inside.

Obelisk1.jpg

Obelisk2.jpg

Obelisk3.jpg

New parkette opening soon in Leslieville

NEWS NOV 25, 2019 BY JOANNA LAVOIE

Construction is now underway to build a new parkette with a 9.2-metre obelisk art structure in Leslieville at the northwest corner of Dundas Street East and Carlaw Avenue. The project is expected to completed by the end of the year.

JUST THE FACTS
- According to Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation, the new parkette will include a pedestrian passage, public seating, new lighting fixtures, and an obelisk structure which is currently nearing completion in the fabrication shop.

- Designed by internationally-acclaimed Toronto artist/designer Pierre Poussin, the Brick Obelisk will be made of laser-cut, weathered steel and will feature intricate patterns and etched with local maps from different times. The towering structure, which will be lit with LED lighting from the inside, will be the centrepiece of the new gathering space.
- the project is part of the ongoing Carlaw+Dundas Community Initiative passed by council in 2014 which includes a number of public realm improvements.

The obelisk artwork looks great. Now if only a development can fill in north of it to replace that warehouse type building.

While the southernmost leg of that building certainly is no beauty.........that complex contains a lot of really interesting small businesses.

The interior of the northern section is filled with exposed brick, wood and mechanicals in a fascinating maze-like interior; while the northerly leg of the complex is actually reasonably interesting in its exterior.

Overall, I would not want to see that complex go.

Though I freely admit, replacing the southern bit would be welcome.

The obelisk artwork looks great. Now if only a development can fill in north of it to replace that warehouse type building.
Even though it likely will go, I'd hate to see it go. I know the Councillor would like to see the southern flank of that warehouse be turned into a street-facing market, but the owners of the property weren't having it.

It would be a convenient support for more overhead wires. Because you can never have enough.

Back