8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

67Cup

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, which buildings will most significantly affect the skyline of Toronto in 2013, in your opinion? The building does not have to be completed this year. Even an incomplete tower can change the appearance of the skyline. In my view, this would be a combination of height, design and location. For example, both the Shangri La and the Four Seasons affected the skyline more than the Trump tower in 2011, because the latter was mostly obscured from any distance by the towers of the CBD. For 2012, I think the clear candidate for skyline changer of the year was L Tower. Its height, slight separation from the CBD and eye catching design make it the clear winner. A photo of the skyline in January 2013 looks recognizably different from the same view in January 2012. That would be the determining factor for me.

My candidates:
1. Aura. To this point the building, though already massive, has not stood out from its neighbours such as ROCP, from any distance. You have to look for it in a panoramic photo. To this point, the skyline has been two islands, the CBD and the Bloor-Bay-Yorkdale cluster. The skyline is now becoming a ridge from the waterfront to north of Bloor Street. Aura will stand out by the end of the year as a central high point in that ridge.

2. Ice East. One of the most noticeable aspects of the Toronto Skyline will be the canyon entering the city eastbound along the Gardiner, as when travelling downtown from the Airport, for example. Ice West is not really enough taller than the Maple Leaf structures to make a big difference. But Ice East will definitely have an effect. This canyon effect will be amplified if and when the three buildings on Harbour St are constructed.

3. Westlake Village. I am less sure about this one since it is hard to find information about expected progress. But Toronto and area has a series of secondary skylines, downton Mississauga, the NYCC, even Yonge and Eglinton, in addition to the CBD and Bay-Bloor. The Etobicoke lake shore will likely become another one. At present, it is a series of separated towers but, at a guess, Westlake will make the area look like its own skyline.

What are your thoughts/

Last edited:
Which currently under construction building will change the skyline the most? It depends where you look at it from. Looking at the city from the islands or from the portlands, or Humber Bay (all the classic postcard shots) I would have to agree with you that Ice East will have a huge impact (until/if the megaprojects start construction). From my uptownish neighbourhood, however, I think 1 Bloor will have the biggest impact.
Looking at this photo I took yesterday, we can see the impact that the new Four Seasons has from Yonge and Eglinton... 1 Bloor will dominate this angle....until the block on the left side of the photo is redeveloped for E Condos.

EvKb1.jpg

I doubt that One Bloor will be high enough by the end of 2013 to show up from that angle.

I think it is true that 1 Bloor will have a huge impact, as you say. But will that happen in 2013? It will be a number of months before they even get to grade. How many stores high will it be by the end of the year? Enough to stand out from a distance?

I am a space cadet and didn't read the initial post thoroughly. Apologies

Aura will impact the skyline the most because it's the tallest building that's under construction by any measurement (excavation, site prep), the furthest along and is considerably taller than anything else near it.

In terms of contributing to the skyline's overall appeal, however, that nod goes to the much more beautiful L tower.

I've got to agree on Aura. I was exploring one day and had ended up at Woodbine and Danforth. Took a look west and there's Aura already obvious. I have yet to see the tower from the 427 or the 407 (where I can pick out 4 Seasons and Yonge-Eglinton) but I suspect it'll only be a short while before it'll be possible to see Aura prominently.

I would add that I look forward to what the Entertainment District and the West Don Lands look like at the end of the year. Both should be pretty changed over the course of this year.

Gotta agree on aura, it is the definitive winner of this year I think. Another unmentioned one is world on yonge. It is having a profound effect looking south down yonge from the 407.

Back