News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

S

spmarshall

The last of the six photothreads that chronicle my roadtrip. My computer at home melted down at home yesterday (all my photos were at least saved to my other hard drive), so I may not post everything I planned.

The Chicago Architecure Foundation does an amazing job of promoting the city's historic and modern architecture. It has a exhibition space and a busy bookstore/giftshop on Michigan across from Millennium Park. The cruise, which was highly recommended, was well worth it (but I did not get the grad student as the CAF volunteer, but an older lady who had less tongue-in-cheek comments, but more than enough to say and was very good).

Cruise01.jpg

Cruise02.jpg

Cruise03.jpg

Cruise04.jpg

Cruise05.jpg

Cruise06.jpg

Cruise07.jpg

Cruise08.jpg

Cruise09.jpg

Cruise10.jpg

Cruise11.jpg

Cruise12.jpg

Cruise13.jpg

Cruise14.jpg

Also took the Green Line to Oak Park, a very charming inner suburb, the famous home of Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemingway. On the way, you pass through some very sketchy areas, all very visible from the L.

Unity Temple, one of Wright's most important early works. The "guided tour", which is more of a lecture about the building while sitting in the sanctuary and things pointed out, was well worth it. I never would have caught all the details otherwise.

OakPark01.jpg

OakPark3.jpg

OakPark4.jpg

OakPark5.jpg

OakPark6.jpg

Walking up Forest Avenue from Unity Temple to the house and studio, you pass by several FLW houses. My kudos to the good people of MapArt for making such a great map (which is now worn, having been well-loved and used) that pointed everything out to me.

OakPark8.jpg

OakPark9.jpg

OakPark10.jpg

OakPark11.jpg

FLW's own house is open to the public, but with the crowds and the price, I was alright to just enjoy the outside.

OakPark12.jpg

Oak Park's Main Street:

OakPark2.jpg

OakPark13.jpg

OakPark14.jpg

And Wrigleyville, which seemed like a active, busy area, but unless you were a rabid Cubs fan, there's not many businesses that cater to you for a good few blocks in any direction - its mostly sports bars, memorbilia shops, ticket sellers, etc. Though I dug the atmosphere (arrived just after a game, the day I drove into town), but no other home games that I could have attended.

Wrigley1.jpg

As I could see, they won that game.

Wrigley2.jpg

Wrigley3.jpg

Wrigley4.jpg

I just gotta say Sean a big thanks! Fantastic threads all around.

Indeed, anything highlighting the awesome Chicago skyline & streets deserves many kudos!

Good shots of Downtown Chicago such as the Wrigley Building and the Merchandise Mart as well as Frank Lloyd Wright's Oak Park. LI MIKE

Back