8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Figured this was a good place to put the discussion about the city’s parks and rivers.

So I’ll start off by mentioning that I found like a dozen crawfish (or something) in the breach through Elbow Island Park moments ago. They can’t be indigenous to our waterways can they? The one in the centre of this photo was the largest, and was most definitely alive and well.

EE3872EC-E26C-45BD-8F4C-841867F645D5.jpeg

Crawfish are definitely not native to the Bow River watershed and should be reported to the provincial government alongside where you found them. They are very invasive and it's concerning you found as many as you did in the Elbow.

On the other hand, gumbo anyone?

Not wrong at all- they're native to northern Alberta but have been spreading throughout the province the last few decades according to the articles I've read. Hopefully they don't impact trout fisheries.

Thanks guys! Haha fair point. But I trust stuff out of the Elbow far more than I do from the Bow, that’s for sure. Maybe I’ll have a cookout.

Apparently Crawfish have been found in a tributary of the Bow just above Bow Lake, so look for these to be in Calgary in a few years. Wonder how this will affect trout in the Bow...

Apparently Crawfish have been found in a tributary of the Bow just above Bow Lake, so look for these to be in Calgary in a few years. Wonder how this will affect trout in the Bow...
Definitely already here. I was hanging out by the elbow a few weeks ago when a proud little girl came up to me with a crawfish in her hand that she had just plucked from the river, and asked if i wanted to pet her new friend "pinchy"

They’re very much already here. Hence my OP for this thread 😅

Back