8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

mettle

Member Bio
Reaction score
was wondering if anyone knew what this was about...

South Linear Park Opening
Date: Monday July 9
Time: 2:30 pm
Location: at the northeast corner of Spadina Avenue and Lake Shore Boulevard

Please join Councillor Vaughan, Councillor McConnell, the Concord Adex team and City of Toronto staff for a ribbon cutting to open South Linear Park.

The celebration will include refreshments followed by a walk through the park and walkway to Yonge Street.

http://www.adamvaughan.ca/events.php?event=19

The Cityplace project includes not only the 8 acre park south of Parade, but a south linear park and a north linear park.

Strange.
That linear park is still a bunch of mud. I thought that the so-called Terry Fox Miracle Mile Park would have been designed and worked on at the same time as the 8 acre CityPlace Central Park. Right now there is nothing to really get excited about.

They haven't pulled down the useless wall and railing lining Lakeshore either. Seems strange that they wouldn't take that wall down and give the area under the Gardiner the same rock garden treatment they used around the ACC.

^Isn't Lakeshore a ramp at this point? (assuming they mean the new landscaped area in front of HVE

Strange.
That linear park is still a bunch of mud. I thought that the so-called Terry Fox Miracle Mile Park would have been designed and worked on at the same time as the 8 acre CityPlace Central Park. Right now there is nothing to really get excited about.

I thought that the Terry Fox Miracle Mile Park IS the 8 acre CityPlace Central Park. The park will have a zigzagging running loop within the park.

Hmmm, not sure.
The linear park would make more sense as being the Miracle Mile Park, but who knows? Calling an 8 acre square park, that clearly is not a mile long, a Miracle Mile Park just because it has a mile long squiggly path just seems silly to me. For that reason alone, you MUST be right. Nothing ever really makes sense.

You are right.... http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2006/20/c6017.html

^Isn't Lakeshore a ramp at this point? (assuming they mean the new landscaped area in front of HVE

At this point Lakeshore westbound is elevated to the same height as the Gardiner and a ramp down to Spadina exists in the middle. The wall though is a barrier to light making the underside of the Gardiner and Lakeshore that much more ominous.

Here's the Miracle Mile Park rendering from the Vancouver Sun back in April 2006:

citypl16bi.jpg

From City of Toronto News:

July 6, 2007
Media Advisory: South Linear Park and Walkway opens in the Railway Lands

The City of Toronto will officially open its newest park, in the Railway Lands on Monday. Join Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20 Trinity-Spadina), Councillor Pam McConnell (Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale), MPP Rosario Marchese (Trinity-Spadina), MP Olivia Chow (Trinity-Spadina), City of Toronto Parks, Forestry, and Recreation, and Community Planning staff, area residents and representatives from Concord Adex Developments Corporation for the official ribbon cutting to open South Linear Park and Walkway.

The South Linear Park and Walkway has been constructed by Concord Adex Developments Corporation, and was designed by Ferris + Associates Inc. The landscaped park has links to Spadina Ave., Bremner Blvd. and Rees St. and provides open space buffer between the Gardiner Expressway and Harbour View Estates section of the 19 tower CityPlace residential development. A walkway has been secured to extend the open space through the railway lands to Yonge St.

Date: Monday, July 9
Time: 2:30 p.m. - ribbon cutting and remarks, 3 p.m. tour of the park
Location: enter from Spadina Ave. (east side) between Lake Shore Blvd. and Bremner Blvd., event will be held at the tent (in the South Linear Park and Walkway)

Toronto is Canada’s largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.6 million people. It is the economic engine of Canada and one of the greenest and most creative cities in North America. In the past three years Toronto has won more than 50 awards for quality and innovation in delivering public services. Toronto’s government is dedicated to prosperity, opportunity and liveability for all its residents.

Media contacts:
Parks, Forestry and Recreation Media Hotline, 416-560-8726
Al Rezoski, Senior Planner, Community Planning, 416-392-0481
Rob Andrusevich, Senior Communications Advisor, 416-397-4149

AoD

i passed by the park this morning. it's fenced off. it doesn't look close to being finished.

there was a picture of the park in today's post...

south linear park makes its "debut"

I checked it out last night.
Basically, they just smoothed the dirt out, put down a really crappy asphalt pathway and lined it with one row of grass in either side of the walkway. There were 2 trees planted. The rest was already there from the backside of HVE, which itself is not yet finished.
There are a few roughed in lamp post bases, but no lamp posts.
They should have waited till the linear park was completed before having this opening. I dont get the point of opening it if it isnt finished, and if they are going to keep it fenced off.

Back