8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

ndido

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just got a job in Oakville, basically at the 403/QEW. I am 22 years old and do not want to live in a suburban area like Oakville or Mississauga. I would much rather live in the city where there is a lot more going on in terms of restaurants, bars, and social life.

I am wondering what the commute would be like to work everyday traveling by car. I assume I would be going against most of the traffic that commutes into Toronto each day. If anyone can shed some light on how long it would take me to commute from Toronto (say West of Bathurst) during normal commute hours that would be great.

Thanks in advance

I just got a job in Oakville, basically at the 403/QEW. I am 22 years old and do not want to live in a suburban area like Oakville or Mississauga. I would much rather live in the city where there is a lot more going on in terms of restaurants, bars, and social life.

I am wondering what the commute would be like to work everyday traveling by car. I assume I would be going against most of the traffic that commutes into Toronto each day. If anyone can shed some light on how long it would take me to commute from Toronto (say West of Bathurst) during normal commute hours that would be great.

Thanks in advance
It's not that bad. The Gardiner generally flows not too bad in the AM ... and if you were west of Bathurst you don't get on until Jameson (which avoids the worst congestion, and then if your 403/QEW, I assume you get off on Ford, which avoids the worst congestion on the QEW which starts at Ford, when the 403 joins it.

Even at the best of times it's a 30-km drive each direction though ... 20 minutes in the middle of the night; I'd guess it would be about 35 minutes in rush-hour, if there are no accidents.

The home trip would be worst, as Gardiner is often slow around the Humber, and the QEW through Mississauga is slower. Maybe 45-50 minutes? Partially depends how far you are from the highway at each end.

GO Transit might be an option, if your not far from the Exhibition GO Station ... though they have this nasty habit of not stopping the early-morning trains there. You can check Transit Options in Google Maps as TTC, GO, and Mississauga Transit is all there; Oakville Transit isn't yet though ...

Commuting outbound isn't as bad as commuting inbound but it's not the piece of cake some people present it as, either. There really is no such thing as "going against traffic" any more.

I've been doing a similar commute on-and-off for a few years and there's been days when it really saps me. Some people are better at handling it, though -- to me, commuting in a car just feels like wasted time.

Are you living in the city now? I guess just drive it and see if you mind it or not. I just got a job in Aurora and I'm in the same dilemma.

Are you living in the city now? I guess just drive it and see if you mind it or not. I just got a job in Aurora and I'm in the same dilemma.

What's the drive like for you ?

I've done a similar drive in the past. Here's what I found:
No matter how early you leave, the DVP is generally bad around Eglinton -> (in the worst cases) 401 - usually earlier. And it's generally smooth sailing everywhere else.

Anyway I do something similar but no where near as bad. I live at Yonge and Eglinton and commute to Hi-way 7 and Warden. I take the TTC/YRT everyday. I love it! Takes me an 1:15 usually.

I personally hate driving so if you could get on a GO - train to oakvile that'd be great.

I would add like mentioned above the reverse commute doesn't exist anymore. Though at times one direction is probably 50% better then another. But I wouldn't rely on this, it'll probably change slowly overtime where both directions are just as bad (or good).

I don't live in Toronto currently. I'm 2.5 hours away so getting there to test out the drive would be a bit of a hassle.

Right now I'm looking at living in Liberty Village. It's right off the Gardiner so I figured it'll make things a bit easier. Also seems like a good spot for a young professional like myself.

Commuting outbound isn't as bad as commuting inbound but it's not the piece of cake some people present it as, either. There really is no such thing as "going against traffic" any more.
Actually there is. Outbound is much, much better than inbound along the Gardner in the morning rush hour, although it does depend on the time of day. At 7 am inbound on the Gardner sucks royally, but outbound flows cleanly. (Caveat: I don't go as far as Oakville.)

The return traffic is probably another story though.

For local traffic within Toronto, going against traffic also does work. For example, going up Mount Pleasant in the morning rush hour is a breeze, and going south on Mount Pleasant in the evening rush hour is also a breeze. In the opposite directions at both times, it's often a parking lot.

Actually there is. Outbound is much, much better than inbound along the Gardner in the morning rush hour, although it does depend on the time of day. At 7 am inbound on the Gardner sucks royally, but outbound flows cleanly. (Caveat: I don't go as far as Oakville.)

The return traffic is probably another story though.

For local traffic within Toronto, going against traffic also does work. For example, going up Mount Pleasant in the morning rush hour is a breeze, and going south on Mount Pleasant in the evening rush hour is also a breeze. In the opposite directions at both times, it's often a parking lot.

It depends on the route, some aren't great in either direction at any time. But yes there are examples. Parts of the don valley parkway are bad in both directions, particularly around Eglinton -> 401.

You might consider a combination of bicycle and GO Train. From the GO Transit website:

When can I take a bicycle onto a GO Train?

You may take a bicycle on any GO Train on a Saturday, Sunday, or statutory holiday.

On weekdays, due to rush-hour crowding, you may not take them on trains scheduled to arrive at Union Station between 6:30 and 9:30 a.m. or that leave Union Station between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Bicycles are also prohibited inside Union Station during those times.

Bicycles are permitted on all other trains, including weekday off-peak, and those travelling opposite to peak direction.

For example, you may bring your bicycle on trains travelling away from Union Station in the morning peak period as long as you do not board at Union Station. Similarly, you can bring your bicycle on trains travelling towards Union Station in the afternoon peak period as long as you get off the train before it arrives at Union.

Can I bring an electric bicycle onto a GO Train?

Power-assisted electric bicycles (e-bikes) that display a manufacturer’s label and meet federal motor vehicle safety regulations are permitted on GO Trains. Electric bicycles are subject to the same rules as conventional bicycles, as outlined above.

Parts of the don valley parkway are bad in both directions, particularly around Eglinton -> 401.
I used to find DVP northbound was still fine at 7 AM; and it clears by 10 AM; yet the opposite direction was still congested ... though at those times, I just took Don Mills instead. Busy, certainly - but it was rare to miss a light because there was too much traffic.

If you live near the Mimico or Long Branch stations, you will be able to use the bicycle or e-bike regularly to your destination in Oakville. The Exhibition station is bypassed sometimes on some runs. Check the GO schedule before deciding if you want to do so.

ndido, have you checked out Google maps traffic? It shows not only live traffic, but also typical traffic conditions at any time of the day. It definitely mirrors my experiences on the QEW around Oakville and what people are saying here. I have friends and family in the Hamilton and Niagara area so I drive that stretch fairly often.

What's the drive like for you ?

I've done a similar drive in the past. Here's what I found:
No matter how early you leave, the DVP is generally bad around Eglinton -> (in the worst cases) 401 - usually earlier. And it's generally smooth sailing everywhere else.
I haven't actually started yet. Like the OP I don't live in the city. I'll be moving somewhere north of the 401, the question is how far. It would be nice to have subway access but I might end up in the 905.

ndido, have you checked out Google maps traffic? It shows not only live traffic, but also typical traffic conditions at any time of the day. It definitely mirrors my experiences on the QEW around Oakville and what people are saying here. I have friends and family in the Hamilton and Niagara area so I drive that stretch fairly often.

I haven't actually started yet. Like the OP I don't live in the city. I'll be moving somewhere north of the 401, the question is how far. It would be nice to have subway access but I might end up in the 905.

Where do you work roughly ?

I used to commute *by car* to Hi-way 7 and Warden from roughly Finch and Yonge. Took about 25 min. I generally went across Finch -> 404 -> 407 - > Warden -> Work. It depends how much further north of Hi-way 7 you're going on the 404 but traffic is generally really good north of hi-way 7 most of the time.

Where do you work roughly ?

I used to commute *by car* to Hi-way 7 and Warden from roughly Finch and Yonge. Took about 25 min. I generally went across Finch -> 404 -> 407 - > Warden -> Work. It depends how much further north of Hi-way 7 you're going on the 404 but traffic is generally really good north of hi-way 7 most of the time.
I'll be working in Aurora. If I lived on the subway I'd probably be looking at a half hour commute at least, even from say Sheppard and Don Mills. So I'm looking at north of 7 as well.

Back