8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
My wife and I have our own computers and share an Internet connection through a wired router. We are ready to replace them, mostly because of all the clutter we have collected in the last couple of years.

We would like to buy 2 new computers and a wireless router because my wife's recently acquired laptop has a wireless card in it.

I used to be reasonably well versed in the jargon used to describe the innards of a PC but a glance at contemporary advertising tells me I have no idea what they are talking about now.

Advice on where and what to look at is welcome except suggestions to buy MAC's, I have too large an investment in software to change.

I'm going to ignore your "except suggestions to buy Macs" and say buy a Mac anyway. Purchase a desktop iMac, and buy Parallels ($79), which lets you run Windows on your Mac for your "large investment in software" concurrently with Mac OS X. Hooked up to your ethernet connection, your Mac can become your wireless router, with easy internet sharing (which I know is available in Windows as well, but I've found that it works much easier on a Mac). And if you hate clutter, the iMac is the best way to go. If you go for a wireless keyboard/mouse, the only cords you'll have is the power cord and your ethernet cable. In terms of computing power, it sounds like you're just looking for something for day-to-day use, and the iMac provides more than enough for that.

Not to mention AppleCare is top notch in dealing with any problems you may have.

My wife and I have our own computers and share an Internet connection through a wired router. We are ready to replace them, mostly because of all the clutter we have collected in the last couple of years.

We would like to buy 2 new computers and a wireless router because my wife's recently acquired laptop has a wireless card in it.

I used to be reasonably well versed in the jargon used to describe the innards of a PC but a glance at contemporary advertising tells me I have no idea what they are talking about now.

Advice on where and what to look at is welcome except suggestions to buy MAC's, I have too large an investment in software to change.

Are you looking at desktops or laptops or one of each? That would help.

This might be better off in the "General Discussions" section - it's not going to get many views here.

Computer sourcing

We are looking for 2 desktop machines. I agree that this thread is probably in the wrong area of the site. How do I move it?

We are looking for 2 desktop machines. I agree that this thread is probably in the wrong area of the site. How do I move it?

What exactly are you using your computers for? That would help.

The mods would have to move this to the general discussions section, but it doesn't seem they look here much either. Try sending one of them a private message and I'm sure they'd be happy to move it for you.

Thread move

Thanks to someone for moving this thread to a better location.

My wife has modest power needs, I run a few web sites which requires some graphic manipulation but nothing huge aside from RAW files from my camera.

Her current machine has a Cerelon processor, mine is a Pentium P4.

We both spend a lot of time on the net, sharing a connection through a hard wired router. Her new laptop is equipped with a wireless network card and she would like to connect to our little network.

Our current setup is about 4 years old and our grand children could use computers so we are in the market for 2 desktop computers and a wireless router to set up a brand new network.

I just wonder if there are any little guys out there who can compete with MDG or DELL both of whom load up their machines with crap that we don't want.

MACs are non-starters, don't even ask. I don't see any sense in running software to fool the processor into thinking it is running a Windows machine when I can have the real thing cheaper.

Thanks all.

My personal recommendation is to stay away from Dell, focus on parts instead of name brand, and the respective warranty programs each manufacturer provides.

I'm assuming you're looking for pre-built machines instead of build-it-yourself enthusiast types.

Based on this, I'm going to look at what Future Shop has listed online.

You will want to stick with the Core 2 Duo/Quad or Phenom processors for the best price/performance ratio. If you want games, you will need a graphics subsystem or future upgradability. Definately get a system with an ATI Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce graphics system, and avoid integrated solutions like Intel Graphics.

If you want a solid system that has a fast Phenom processor and a good starter graphics card in the Radeon HD2400, try this system:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10100118&catid=

That system has 3 gigs of memory and a Radeon based graphics system so its more than sufficient. Combined with a Phenom processor it should be sufficient, although the HD2400 is not top of the line graphics and the 667MHz memory also isn't the fastest on the market, but if you aren't into games it doesn't matter. The 500 gig hard drive is sufficient storage space.

If you need more graphics power and/or intend on doing high end gaming, I'd recommend this.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10100503&catid=

This is obviously a higher priced, faster machine. The Core 2 Quad processor at 2.66GHz is significantly faster than the Tri-Core Phenom at 2.1 Ghz, it has a slightly better graphics solution in the GeForce 8600GT, and it has much faster memory at a full 1066 MHz bus with 4 gigs, and that means its packed with 64 bit Windows Vista instead of 32 bit preinstalled.

Obviously better costs more, so if you want something that has power for games and more, I'd go with this system.

Really it depends on what your budget allows. If you don't run games, get the Phenom system above, if you want better performance and higher 3D rendering capability, get the HP system.

If you need further help, just go to a local computer store and ask around.

Don't get a new system with less than 3 gigs of memory or a 2 GHz dual core system. In my opinion there's no reason to stop at dual core, get a tri-core or quad core system with a non-intel integrated graphics solution.

You'll thank me later for repeating not to get an intel integrated graphics solution, its possibly the most important selection in your computer. If in the future you find out that your banging new system is great, but was stuck with an intel integrated solution without any upgrade slot, you've just wasted hundreds of dollars on a system that screwed up possibly the entire reason you wanted a new system.

^Was trying to edit the above with some more information before the forum went down earlier today.

Some keywords to remember:

Phenom = Good
Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad = Good
Athlon 64 x2, Pentium D, Core Duo, or Pentium 4 - Bad (older technology, don't waste your money)

ATI Radeon = Good
Nvidia GeForce = Good
Intel Graphics = Bad (no matter what version, it misses a lot of features and to many people's surprise, many of the el-cheapo brands don't even include upgrade slots to overcome this negative later on)

Whatever you do make sure the system has a PCI Express x16 upgrade slot available. Some systems even have built in Nvidia or Ati graphics and don't upgrade, while at least having them built in is an advantage over Intel, you never know when you'll need that extra power. Not to mention, if you were to get that Phenom system above from Acer and dropped an upgraded Nvidia Geforce 9x00 series or Ati Radeon 3870 graphics card in it, it would blow away even the faster Core 2 Quad with the lesser Nvidia 8x00 series graphics AND still be hundreds less even though you purchased an extra card for $150-200.

Components and performance are always a mixed bag on computers, you can't always focus on one stat or one category. 10 years ago you could look at the processor and almost be done shopping, today is considerably different.

As long as you stick to these key principles, you'll be fine.

Brandon,

Thanks for your read on the current home computer market and your recommendations.

A wiser Spider

Actually, I would say the AMD Athlon X2 64 still isn't a bad choice, especially if you have a budget.

These days computers last a long time. If you get one with a quad core processor you probably won't need a new one for years based on what you use it for.

I would also recommend you look around. Filtech Computer at Spadina and College has good service and good pricing too. You could ask them to put a quote together for you with similar parts to the Acer listed in the Future Shop listing and see how competitive they are.

Thanks spider, I'm an industry professional so hopefully the comments weren't too cryptic.

BTW, the Athlon 64 x2 technically isn't bad, but its obsolete. You're buying aftermarket products, and that Phenom system is only $699.

Personally I'd probably just recommend he buy the Phenom system and drop a newly discounted $150 CAD Radeon 3870 graphics board in it (or get Future Shop to install it) and save the hundreds over the Core 2 Quad system. You'll get the best of both worlds: cheap price and excellent gaming/graphics performance.

Acer's tech support is mostly North American based and top rated, they've come a long way.

^I would agree with that setup.

I'm not sure if AMD has corrected some of the issues the Phenom had on release. If so it's not a bad choice.

I would still look around though. A lot of the systems you buy at Futureshop don't use the greatest motherboards.

If you look at the Acer system, the specs state that the system has 2 PCI Express x16 slots. One is occupied, one is available. Suggests to me that its highly expandable... That's why I picked that particular system.

There is another more advanced Phenom system available from Future Shop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10100117&catid=

At $749 CAD its got two PCI Express x16 slots for good future upgradeability, a fast 3600 MHz system bus, 4 gigs of memory, and this model has 64 bit Windows Home Premium... Can't beat the price if you ask me.

And that's a Quad Core Phenom at 2.2 GHz, absolutely top of the line.

The only thing I see on this system that has been discounted is the 667 MHz memory, but I can tell you that testing with my own eyes, that 667 MHz memory is less important than having 2 PCI Express x16 slots with a decent graphics card or future upgradeability possibilities.

I've seen some pretty rediculously configured systems before, including PC800 or PC1066MHz memory in motherboards with integrated Intel graphics and no upgrade slot.

Its a tragedy any system is built like that. ;)

These Acers I chose have 2 PCI Express x16 slots, and its one of the top reasons I chose them. Then they have good standard equipment as well (4 gigs of memory or 3 gigs is more than enough for the next few years).

Some people just don't like name brands, so I listed the HP if he were more into Intel with a Core 2 Quad (which is slightly faster for some things like video encoding or even games if he upgrades the graphics subsystem).

But at a hefty $1200-1500, these Intel Core 2 Quad systems from HP don't justify that high of a price increase.

$749 for a Phenom Quad Core 2.2 GHz and 2 PCI express x16 slots with built in memory at 4 gigs and 500 gigs HD space is very sufficient. I'd personally choose the Acer, save the hundreds of dollars, and if I were into games buy a Radeon HD 3870 card and run it in crossfire mode with the build in HD2400 graphics system.

^The motherboard may be expandable, but I was referring to the quality. A lot of the systems you get at Futureshop don't use the greatest quality motherboards.

I'm unaware that Future Shop is selling anything less than what the competition is offering, these are essentially the same computers available in other outlets. Granted that I'm not a Future Shop enthusiast, I just thought it would be easy because they are a known name.

If anything, Acer has been offering 2 year standard warranties on all their desktops recently (so no need to purchase any kind of extended plan) and most of their support teams are North American based so you can more easily communicate with them.

HP is okay, but they truly do have second rate support for Canadian customers, and I know this first hand as I just finished up a contract job on behalf of HP working in a service center for both desktop and printer support. HP loves to shaft Canadian customers on support by offering extended delays on repair items among other things.

The reason is because HP is very US centric, they warehouse and ship support/replacement products to Canada on an irregular basis. I can tell you that Acer is a more global company and Acer tends to treat their Canadian customers equally with other regions.

Back