News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hi,
Its an old thread but want to find out what the resolution was as i have a very similar issue. Any advice appreciated.

The tenants of the condo next to me, they broke their sprinkler because the had things hanging on it and caused a major flat to 7 units as the sprinkl;er was spraying for close to an hour before it was shut off my firefighters. Half of my unit flatted from water entering from the hallway. and the room adjacent to the neighbors room with the sprinkler flatted from the wall.

The building send people to dry the units and remove the bottom parts of the dray wall right away. I havent talk to the managment yet because its still a weekend.
Extremely silly me i dont have insurance. i wanted to change, i cancelled my existing one to make new one but havent gotten around it for a couple of months.
Who is supposed to fix my flooring? i know my insurance would have probably done that. But i am not insured and this flatting was not my fault. It happend by negligence ? who do i seek help from? Laywer? if i quickly make a new insurance now could they handle talking to hte insurance of the neighbor even though the damage is prior?
All condominiums insure the 'common elements" which includes the building's STRUCTURE and VERY few insure owner 'improvements' or flooring. You need to talk to your property manager to see what the condo will deal with. I doubt STRONGLY that their insurance will cover your flooring and the likelihood of getting it replaced by your neighbours is negligible. No doubt a lawyer would happily take it on but I bet their fees would exceed any funds you MIGHT get. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is EXACTLY why it is always STRONGLY recommended that condo owners have insurance. (From my experience insurance companies usually cover flooding and do not try to extract the $$ from the insurance of the owner 'at fault' and the possibility of a NEW insurance company going after another company for something that happened before they were insuring is zero.)

Have to agree with the bad news. Getting the at-fault owner to pay for your floor replacement is going to be a big onus on yourself to lawyer up, but I really don't know if you will even win. And *no* insurance company will fix the damage considering it happened after you started a contract with them - and they certainly aren't going to waste their resources trying to get the money from the at-fault party.

The building will fix the drywall but the floor is going to be your problem I'm afraid. And go get insurance!

Back