8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

neuhaus

Member Bio
Reaction score
Having lived in Denver for a while, I found their new construction defects law which was implemented a few years ago interesting considering their quality issues with new condos is nowhere as bad as we are experiencing here.

Because this new law makes developers more accountable and liable for construction defects and deficiencies, developers are not as willing to build condos and instead building rental apartment buildings which are exempt from this law. This caused an ever dwindling inventory of condos which has caused real estate values to rise significantly which is not good for home buyers especially when Denver is experiencing significant population and economic growth.

Here's a detailed article about this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/print-edition/2013/08/16/lawsuit-risk-slowing-condo.html

I do think Toronto has a big problem with poor construction and developers not being responsible enough. While something should be done to protect homebuyers, new laws could also create new problems. Unfortunately it's a no-win situation.

Reworking the building code and getting rid of tarion would be a start. The code is bare minimum and the cheap builders go below that. Too many condos going up for the inspectors to enforce the code. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are taking bribes...

I absolutely agree! We have insufficient legislation to protect Toronto citizens for their condo purchase, and the builders are too powerful. They can lobby the government to protect them better by shifting the blame to the construction, but if they choose a high quality construction company, how could we have poor delivered condo unit?

Back