39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking for ideas from around the world. Take a major street, one with cars, bikes, retail and lots of people, and redo it wholly. Give it a unique look that will make it stand out. Here are some that I found. Looking for more. Some of these are over the top. Ideas don't have to be this extreme. Looking at streetscaping, lighting, signage, monuments etc.

GettyImages-1092560054.jpg
images-2.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
images.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
Most%20Beautiful%20Streets%20Around%20the%20World%20-%208.jpg
cherry%20blossom%20bonn.jpg
Most%20Beautiful%20Streets%20Around%20the%20World%20-%202.jpg
GettyImages-556581403.jpg

Melbourne's laneways. Toronto could really look to Melbourne for inspiration on how to animate many of our laneways and small streets, specifically the micro-bars, (very) small businesses, cafes, patios and attractive brick/stone paving.

distanbach-melbourne-cbd-13.jpg

HR_2016.02.18-CAMPARI-HOUSE_VENUE_HR-98.jpg

main.jpg

And building off of afransen's note about arcades, I definitely agree we could use more covered shopping streets. In fact, I say we start a petition to rebuild Toronto's original arcade in place of the dud that replaced it. Just look at Melbourne's Block Arcade:

Block_Arcade_Melbourne.jpg

Not sure if it is 'cool', but here's an example from Rotterdam. The cycle path is separated from the road. The design guidelines are that 50 kph roads should have physically separated bike infrastructure, and I would think any road that is 4 lanes is probably faster than 30 kph.

I'm not a big fan of angled parking.

Neither am I.

But I still think the overall look is appealing and a radical improvement in the case of Guelph.

But I'd much rather ditch the parking and add cycle tracks!

Last edited:
Another option used in NL is having 'access roads' with the street parking and an access lane that is 30 kph that doubles as a cycle path. This keeps parking vehicles well away from the through lanes, and might help to reduce the need for a 4 lane street by maintaining flow.

graafseweg2.jpg

Some good ideas. Any ideas from a lighting perspective? Or signage? Or monuments indicating you're entering a special area? Yorkville is a cool example since they redid it a few years back. Looking for other ideas like that from a world perspective. There must be some cool ideas from around the globe.

Some good ideas. Any ideas from a lighting perspective? Or signage? Or monuments indicating you're entering a special area? Yorkville is a cool example since they redid it a few years back. Looking for other ideas like that from a world perspective. There must be some cool ideas from around the globe.

Chinatown Gates are certainly a big thing around the world.

This is Seattle's:

1630596833291.png

By Joe Mabel, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3470946

Back