4.8K     0 

S

samsonyuen

Wednesday » October 5 » 2005
Costco leaves no stone unturned
Kristin Goff
The Ottawa Citizen
Wednesday, October 05, 2005

'We know we are going to grow in Canada,' says Costco Canada country manager Louise Wendling. The shopping-club giant, which once figured 20 warehouse-style stores would cover the Canadian market, now believes Canada 'could easily support 100 stores,' she says.
When Costco Wholesale began doing business in Canada nearly 20 years ago, officials figured it could succeed only in markets with a half million people or more.

But as Costco Canada prepares to open its third Ottawa store in Kanata in mid-November, its 66th in Canada, it has much more ambitious plans for the retail strategy it once thought was limited to 20 warehouse-style stores in the country.

"I think Canada could easily support 100 stores," says Canada country manager Louise Wendling.

That could mean opening 10 to 15 more stores, including some in much smaller markets, over the next few years, she says.

The company, headquartered in Ottawa, also plans to move its Gatineau store to a larger location next spring.

"We're very aggressive in our approach," says Ms. Wendling. "We know we are going to grow in Canada."

Part of that optimism is based on the company's strategy of selling more to each of its 6.4 million shopping-club customers, who pay annual fees of $45 to $100 for regular or premium types of business or individual memberships as a requirement to shop there.

Even in this day of "everything under one roof" retailing, where you can buy ice cream at department stores and bank at the grocer, Costco Canada seems to be pushing things to the limit.

The club-shopping store sells bulk household and business staples in its warehouse-style stores, but also name-brand clothes, big screen televisions, computers, some appliances and a growing number of services, such as emergency roadside assistance and preferred rates for small-business payroll processing.

Its online store, which started this year, has added violins and trumpets, backup solar-power kits and expensive jewelry to its product mix. The most expensive diamond rings on its costco.ca website this week top $10,000 -- chump change compared with ian exquisite diamond ring that sold for $249,999 this year, its most expensive item by far.

That amazing wide range of products and services could seem like a wildly unfocused strategy. But it isn't, says Maureen Atkinson, a partner with retailing consultant J.C. Williams Group in Toronto.

"They know who their customers are and who they are not, and they are really sharply focused that way," she says.

"For that customer, they are going to do everything."

Because it charges membership fees, Costco shoppers are largely small-business owners and above-average income suburban families, and Costco is working to leverage that relationship in a big way.

It is a strategy that Wal-Mart uses in its Sam's Club stores, which have only started making inroads in Canada with a half-dozen stores in southern Ontario but are widely expected to roll out across the country.

Wal-Mart won't talk about its expansion plans in Canada. So far it doesn't have an online store in Canada, but its U.S. website also carries a wide range of products, from diamond rings to business supplies.

The two membership warehouse titans have battled for years in the United States, where Costco has fewer stores but has managed to achieve higher per-store sales by leveraging more sales per customer.

"We feel we can compete very well against them in Canada, as we did in the U.S.," says Ms. Wendling. Part of its strategy is to find "high quality" goods that the company believes will sell quickly and appeal to its higher income customers.

Despite its discount prices (Ms. Wendling says Costco's maximum markup is only 14 per cent), Costco pays employees $47,000 annually when they reach the top scale, usually after four or five years, she says.

Costco plans to hold a job fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Oct. 14 at the Bell Sensplex to help fill the 200 new jobs the Kanata store will generate.

Employees at its new Kanata store, near Silver Seven Road, will start at $9.50 an hour, but pay progresses quickly based on cumulative hours worked, company officials said.

Costco, headquartered in Issaquah, Washington, doesn't separately report its Canadian financial results.

But officials confirm its sales top $8 billion a year, making it the fourth-largest retailer in Canada.

Costco clearly has one eye on the prospect of growing competition in Canada from Sam's Club. But its latest push into offering more and more services is aimed at more than simply building loyalty among its shoppers in response to Sam's Clubs, says Ms. Atkinson.

Offering services is a way for stores to ramp up sales, without having to physically expand their floor space. In the United States, the trend has taken off. Grocery stores, for example, are offering medical services, where nurse practitioners treat colds and common ailments, Ms. Atkinson said.

Loblaws' Presidents Choice Financial, which offers banking services along with groceries, is one example of the trend she expects to see sweep through the Canadian retail landscape soon.

"This trend will only be limited by the customer," says Ms. Atkinson. "At what point does the customer say, 'I'm not going to buy that in a grocery store?' "

Costco Canada might well be at the forefront of testing that proposition, following the lead of its U.S. parent.

Costco regular or "executive" members (who pay a higher membership fee) can already sign up for such things as emergency roadside service, telephone and Internet plans, and real estate services, which are offered through partnerships it negotiates for its members.

Car and home insurance are coming soon, officials say.

And by next summer, the retailer plans to offer "high quality" travel services and upscale packages -- such as cooking classes in Tuscany --at Costco prices.

Its business members can access payroll, credit card and debit processing financial services, among others.

"We like to have 10 or 12 services offered at any time where the price is great, and it really gives value to our membership," says Ms. Wendling.

I'd like to see Costco adopt some sort of urban format, and I wonder if it will to expand in Canada. Most of the good suburban and mid-sized cities are already covered.

While the chain caters to suburbanites, it doesn't bug me the same way Wal-Mart/Sam's Club does. For one, Costco pays its employees much better than W-M/SC, and doesn't destroy small towns, partly as it needs a much bigger market. It is also not such place for day-to-day goods by nature of its bulk offerings and specialty merchandise, keeping a place for smaller, more convenient stores.

_________
Costco opens in downtown Vancouver

November 2006
By Doug Desjardins

Costco opened its first urban store in Canada Nov. 10 on the bottom floor of a high-rise residential development in downtown Vancouver. It’s Costco’s second urban store in North America and could serve as a model for other urban markets.

“If we can do it here, we can see where it could have applications in other cities like Manhattan and Chicago,†Costco ceo Jim Sinegal told Retailing Today.

The 128,000-square-foot store is about 10,000 square feet smaller than a standard warehouse and has a unique look created by dozens of load-bearing pillars scattered around the store. The pillars, which take up close to 3,000 square feet of floor space, support a parking garage and high-rise towers being built above.

Parking is provided on two levels below the store, which is at street level across from the GM Arena, home of the Vancouver Canucks NHL hockey team. Extra-large elevators are outside the entrance to accommodate shoppers heading down to the parking lot with heavy loads.

Costco chose Vancouver in part because of its demographics. The downtown area has one of the heaviest residential populations of any city in North America. And that built-in customer base will be supplemented by a four-tower, high-rise development above the store that will eventually be home to close to 900 luxury condos, with the first two towers due to open in fall 2007.

The merchandise mix is typical of a standard Costco with a heavier focus on food. Catering to local tastes, the food department has a large selection of cheese and fish along with an extensive array of prepared meals. “With so many people living within walking distance, we think they’ll be a popular item here,†said Sinegal.

Though the store is expected to attract throngs of customers from the downtown area, Costco expects it to perform even better with business members. “We’ve found that to be the case with our store in San Francisco, which is one of our busiest stores, and that’s one of the reasons we chose this site,†said Sinegal. “You have a lot of small businesses, shops and restaurants down here.â€

The new store isn’t likely to impact others in the area, since Costco’s locations in Richmond and Grandview are about a 20-minute drive from downtown Vancouver.

Costco’s store in San Francisco was its first attempt at operating in an urban area and, like Vancouver, has a two-level parking garage attached to the store. But that warehouse is a stand-alone and doesn’t have a residential complex built into the site, which makes Vancouver unique for Costco and for most retailers experimenting with urban concepts.

Sinegal said Costco will be looking for opportunities in other cities if Vancouver works out as expected. Though it’s relatively new at operating urban stores in North America, it does have some experience overseas. “We’ve dealt with similar issues with our stores in Japan and Taiwan and I think those experiences helped us,†said Sinegal.

Costco is part of a growing list of big box retailers experimenting with urban formats. Wal-Mart opened its first Urban 99 store in Tampa, Fla., two years ago and opened another in White Plains, N.Y., this summer. Those stores have a footprint just under 100,000 square feet and carry an edited selection of products.

The Home Depot has taken a similar approach to entering dense urban markets with a mix of formats that includes multi-level stores. It entered New York City in 2004 with two urban prototypes and is due to open another in 2007. The only difference with Costco is that it’s managing to open stores that are about the same size as a standard warehouse with a full selection of merchandise.

Costco is part of a growing list of big box retailers experimenting with urban formats.
I recall reading somewhere Costco wants to do the same thing here in TO. They were looking at sites in the Port Lands around Commissioner and the Don Roadway. TEDCO is selling off some surplus land around there just north of the proposed FilmPort. Not sure if this would fit in with the plans in the Port Lands.

Costco does have very good quality meat and other food items - often better than the supermarkets. Living alone though, it is often not worth the membership. I bring stuff back from Brampton Costco when I see my parents though.

I'm curious how it will work for condo dwellers with lower car use/ownership.

Costco is very convenient. The good thing is that I find almost everything in one place and the prices are also good. I have a family of six so I couldn't find a more convenient place to shop.

Costco makes a killing on its concession stand - it's outside the store (no membership required to buy) and across the street from GM Place - hockey fans flood the place. I even know of office workers who ride the Skytrain (on monthly passes) to get lunch there (the store is adjacent to Stadium Station).
The one drawback at the downtown store is the $2 charge for parking (not refunded).

When I used to patronize the Etobicoke location, I remember that they had the best fries, so I'm not surprised the so many people purchase their high fat/sodium meals or snacks from Costco. It's an interesting to place the fast food outside and across GM Place. That sounds as if it makes some good use of the urban format, because Costco is most literally "big box", and compared with a store like Canadian Tire, there are fewer small things you can buy and walk home with. Even fresh foods are sold in larger packages.

I follow the sales: zellers, shoppers, etc and if something goes on sale, I buy in bulk. Costco is probably good for the working family that doesn't have time. But I find whatever I save at Costco I spend doulbe on too hard to pass up prepared foods I don't see in regular grocery stores.

Sam's Club is long gone from T.O. right (methinks)? How was the shopping experience there in comparison to Costco?

Sam's Club is long gone from T.O. right (methinks)? How was the shopping experience there in comparison to Costco?

Sam's Club closed all their Canadian locations in 2009. The shopping experience was worse. They had a worse selection of products of all kinds, their food was less fresh, and they didn't introduce new products as frequently as Costco.

I have a membership with Costco again, but they're not as good as they were in the Price Club days. Sometimes the savings were substantial when the dollar was weak and they always had plenty of interesting new products. In those days, it seemed like they had something new every week.

I actually think a combo of No Frills+Walmart is cheaper than shopping at Costco. Even bulk buying for business reasons, No Frills has Costco beaten. Costco really just encourages you to spend more money than you need to. It's sneaky....

Actually, Walmart + Chinatown grocers beats all of the above combined. Buying bulk? Plenty at a discount! Yes you can negotiate the prices of produce even in supermarkets! No Frills is still lotta cents more expensive than a chinese grocer at Hurontario & Dundas. Why pay more for the same quantity?

Costco and Price Clubs actually have high-quality products in stock, refreshing its inventory as slow as a month to less than a week. No other large wholesalers have come close in maching Costco in shopping experience, though the warranty do sucks.

Well, it helps that you probably have a car and perhaps even speak the language. For me, No Frills is the closest grocery option, along with many Polish/Ukrainian stores on Roncevalles and BWV. Not being Polish etc though, I find them rude toward me--I'm that evil English guy lol. So I put up with the smelly masses at No Thrills...or sometimes specialty meat and cheese etc shops in my area.

Why pay more for the same quantity? Well, to be honest, as a single guy, I find buying in bulk is a waste of money--too much produce is wasted as it is.

Costco can be nice if you leave your credit cards at home! It has interesting (American?) products but much of it is, imho, over-priced junk.

I don't have a car (I rely on Sauga Transit in shopping alone), and nope I am not Chinese. However, out of all supermarkets (including Food Basics, No-Frills, Loblaws, Sobeys, Price Chopper, Highland Farms, the Korean supermarkets I often visit and of course, T&T) none have the lowest price close to that supermarket (forgot the name). Then again, I avoid there at all costs as I prefer real quality products (believe me, the produce looks more fresh than it actually tastes and feels) without the unknown stench (something quite omniprescent in Asian markets, though not as intensely harsh as the one went inside).

I often plead my parents not to shop @ Walmart (due to inferior products, Mickey Deez with too many angry South Asian women beating their pestering kids inside) or the grocer I mentioned above, but as a typical Sauga dweller around SQ1, it can't be helped. I agree that buying downscaled is better (to prevent food riots that is commonplace in my house).

Back