News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter fiendishlibrarian
  • Start date
bah..misleading title....they should add people to the subway station.

What's the logistics (or necessity) of a S entrance to Summerhill?

No need at this time, but easy logistics. They planned for a south entrance, apparently the mezzanine is roughed in.

You mean, back in 1949-54? Anything to do with the train station above (i.e. reactivation potential)?

Yes, exactly. The TTC also needs to add it eventually as they need multiple exits to meet the fire code.

I believe that the developer has totally cancelled the project and is starting from scratch (I seem to remember reading such in my local Town Cryer).

Yeah, appearently there was something fishy about the whole thing. A restuarant by Susur was announced to be located over the bridge, but Susur never agreed to it and the developer's claims turned out to be false.

CP North Toronto Station Restaurant.

As Tuscani01 and I sit in a fairly boring class in a windowless lecture hall deep in the bowels of Ryerson University:

'All aboard' call for railway bridge restaurant
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 | 12:16 PM ET
CBC News

The developer behind the restoration of Toronto's midtown railway station and Summerhill clock tower wants to build a 100-seat restaurant spanning the Canadian Pacific Railway overpass, right over Yonge Street.

Diners would look south through the heart of the city, while sitting right next to passing freight trains.

Canadian Pacific has signed on and Woodcliffe Development Corp. hopes to get city approvals for a 2009 opening.

"We're proposing to build on an active railway bridge, over Yonge Street, and that doesn't occur every day," said developer Paul Oberman as he showed off a model of his glass-walled restaurant.

He said the restaurant will be "somewhat reminiscent of the original canopies that were there when the train station was in use back in the teens and '20s."

Oberman said it's taken the railway, neighbours and the city some time to warm up to the idea of putting diners on a working rail overpass.

"You see down this corridor of buildings straight down Yonge Street to the lake on a clear day, and at night you see a ribbon of lights in both directions."

Jennifer Ayres of the Summerhill Residents Association is skeptical.

"I just couldn't understand someone spending $200 a plate to be shaken to bits sitting on the top of that platform there.

"My house shakes, especially in the wintertime, and I cannot see any kind of engineering that would change that type of vibration when you are actually on the bridge," she said.

To receive final city approval Oberman still needs to address zoning, safety and parking issues.

to-train-resto.jpg

The architect's illustration shows what the new restaurant on the railway overpass near Yonge and Davenport would look like.
(Artwork courtesy of Woodcliffe Corporation)

That would be so awesome for Trainspotters!

Highly doubt the average train spotter could afford to eat there....

But I'm still waiting to see how this will affect GO's plans for the midtown line. if they can coexist, then i'm happy. If not, transit trumps restaurant.

That would be so awesome for Trainspotters!

Not really...the north wall (facing the tracks) would be left completely blank and form part of the required crash barrier. Would have been cool to have windows there though...anyone else remember dining at the Leaside Village Station restaurant?

This is somewhat old news, no? It was first announced early last year I think...they "supposedly" had Susur Lee lined up to run the restaurant until he denied ever having talked with Mr. Oberman.

AFAIR the City was going to make sure appropriate clauses were put into the development agreement about the future GO Transit needs.

They had the developer on the radio this morning. The view could be cool. They will need one hell of a motion and sound dampening system though.

As Tuscani01 and I sit in a fairly boring class in a windowless lecture hall deep in the bowels of Ryerson University:

to-train-resto.jpg

The architect's illustration shows what the new restaurant on the railway overpass near Yonge and Davenport would look like.
(Artwork courtesy of Woodcliffe Corporation)

The propose restaurant area is where GO crosstown line platforms need to be.

These are some of the 30 shots I took on Sept 23-07

This is what the south side looks like except for the station. The tracks ran in this area that is next to the platform that has another track on the opposite side. This station supported 7 tracks when it was a live. Today there are only 2 tracks.

If you look straight ahead, you will notice that those condos on the north side are right in the path if GO was to put their tracks on the north side. An example of rail land turn over for development that may come back as a mistake.
1439608220_e5d11ed14f_b.jpg

The view you would get if a restaurant is built and you will notice where the tracks were at one time and the platform that still exist today.
1438745367_01ce517e24_b.jpg

A view of what there now. The south side is the better location for GO as there is nothing on the south side from Mississauga to east Toronto that will require CP to service at all.

The only thing that has to happen on the south side in this area is relocating the sound wall about 5 feet south on the east side of the station and there is room to do this.
1438743451_8f36fd2ced_b.jpg

1438802943_a82e982e2c_b.jpg

If you look straight ahead, you will notice that those condos on the north side are right in the path if GO was to put their tracks on the north side. An example of rail land turn over for development that may come back as a mistake.

That property was never part of the railway right of way. The rail yard was all south of the existing track.

Back