39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Today is the premier of CP24's new show with host Adam Giambrone broadcast live from a runing TTC streetcar 8pm to 9pm. Viewers can phone, email, tweet, or board the streetcar to contact the show.

It's an interesting concept, and looks good so far.

Last edited:
This will be my question next time I get him on the phone

1-Why are you advertising Transit City as Rapid Transit when the average speed will be 22kph?

2-Why investing over a billion dollar over a line SELRT that will have a low speed and will be useless past Agincourt?

Hope this will get CP24 talking and see him speechless will be priceless.

:D

Anyone catch the show tonight? I missed it.

I catched only the end...

He's on the streetcar with a TTC planner answering phone calls, emails, twitter

Maybe you should ask him why he keeps imposing unnecessary transfers on Scarborough residents.

the average speed is only 22km/h? I think my bicycle can go faster than that :D

You skipped over the word average. That 22 km/h includes the time the vehicle is at 0, at stops and stations. The top speed is over 60 km/h, depending on what the speed governor is set at.

You skipped over the word average. That 22 km/h includes the time the vehicle is at 0, at stops and stations. The top speed is over 60 km/h, depending on what the speed governor is set at.

The average speed is what matters. Pretty rare that an individual is going one stop at top speed.

The average speed of my car, which is driven 75 percent on the highway, is only 55km/h (on board computer calculated). I imagine the average speed of a car driven mainly in the city would easily be 60 percent of that at around 30km/h.

An average cyclist will be able to ride at 30km/h avg speed, which is what I usually do when I go on my leasuirely ride. Therefore, for all the 25km/h is slower than a bike people, we shouldn't drive cars either.

You all got a heck of a battle ahead of you people.

What slows you down significantly when taking transit is the time it takes for you to walk to the stop, the time it takes to transfer, and the time it takes to walk to your final destination. At these times, you're going between 0-6 km/h, bringing down your average speed.

If you have to take the bus or on-street LRT a longer distance and then transfer you could even attain very low overall average speeds within the capabilities of a bicycle. This is why without substantial increases in transit speed, it fails to compete with driving or even cycling if you're in average shape in many cases.

UD2 said:
An average cyclist will be able to ride at 30km/h avg speed, which is what I usually do when I go on my leasuirely ride. Therefore, for all the 25km/h is slower than a bike people, we shouldn't drive cars either.

On city streets an average cyclist will not be able to ride 30 km/h. Someone travelling over a moderate distance in average physical shape will probably ride at between 10-20 km/h. The numbers are brought down because of traffic lights and time spent waiting to turn.

Off-peak speeds matter too. That 22 kph is only tolerable during peak hours. In off-peak hours, where their cars are a lot faster, most people will end up driving instead. That's not a good way to get people to take transit.

How far did the streetcar get? Did that one hour include the wait?

I only saw the last 15 mins, but from what I saw, it was a chartered streetcar that ran on Queen St. It was followed by a CP24 vehicle and Special Const. vehicle.

A rerun will air Sunday, October 8, 2009 from 3:30 AM tp 4:30 AM if you want to catch it again.

Back