News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thanks for the updates, @billyt23 and @rbt. Man @WislaHD, that 125-crane number is hilarious. Of course, we're tracking all cranes , not just those on residential projects, but still, that number is nonsense.

Change log: added 1 to Pickering, 1 to Vaughan, 1 to Whitby, removed 2 from Toronto, 1 per above and 1 from Liberty Market Tower, added 2 to Toronto for Lake & Town and 2525 Bathurst.

Grand Total: 303!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates, @billyt23 and @rbt. Man @WislaHD, that 125-crane number is hilarious. Of course, we're tracking all cranes , not just those on residential projects, but still, that number is nonsense.

Seems pretty close to me. Residential does not include mixed use and it's Municipality of Toronto only.

A lot of condos on the list have a retail/commercial component.

Seems pretty close to me. Residential does not include mixed use and it's Municipality of Toronto only.
The 416-part is understood, but okay, they get off on that technicality even though mixed-use is usually mostly residential.

The 416-part is understood, but okay, they get off on that technicality even though mixed-use is usually mostly residential.

The renx.ca reporter plucked out the residential-only number for some reason. RLB tracks crane counts (and construction activity in general) across 15 different categories, Residential and Mixed-use (often a residential component) are the two largest categories (49% and 20% of cranes in North America respectively).

Thanks @innsertnamehere!

Change log:

21.05.06 • added 6 to Oakville per above • Grand Total: 309
21.05.06 • added one to Mississauga for 185 Enfield • Grand Total: 310
21.05.06 • moved The One from 2 cranes to 1 in Toronto • Grand Total: 309
21.05.06 • removed 3385 Dundas West from Toronto • Grand Total: 308
21.05.06 • added 1 to Promenade Mall in Vaughan • Grand Total: 309

Last edited:
Here's a puzzle. I spotted a bunch of cranes in the distance and took an extremely zoomed shot. There are 6 cranes here, although they're probably not from the same project. I can't figure out where they are. I suspect the 3 cranes on the left belong to 293 Kingsway, but there's no other projects next to it to account for the additional cranes. I live downtown by Jarvis & Wellesley, and these cranes are northwest of me - definitely north of Bloor, although not by much (definitely south of St Clair). Any ideas? The newish white condos may provide a clue, although I'm not familiar with them.

IMG_0780.JPG

Last edited:
One is 299 campbell, the one building you can actually see under construction.
Thanks. That's one down. Using 299 Campbell as a reference, I thought the crane on the left (pointing upwards) may have been 2376 Dundas, but that project is located next to a couple of pretty tall brown towers, which are not visible in my shot. I also revised my initial guess that it's part 293 Kingsway, as it's too far from 299 Campbell. The zoomed shot may have compressed distances, but these 6 cranes can't be more than 1 mile apart from each other.

Well, I suspect that two of three at 293 The Kingsway are there; you can see the existing tower there on the left side of your shot (and I think the third crane may be behind it to the left. 2376 Dundas might be another of the cranes. Agreed re: 299 Campbell. Telephoto images are so weird as left-right distances are exaggerated and depth is so, so compressed, it's tough to gauge it all!

Change log:

21.05.08 • added Terrasse Condos at the Hunt Club in Toronto • Grand Total: 310
21.05.08 • removed Orca from 1 crane in Toronto • Grand Total: 309

Last edited:
Thanks. That's one down. Using 299 Campbell as a reference, I thought the crane on the left (pointing upwards) may have been 2376 Dundas, but that project is located next to a couple of pretty tall brown towers, which are not visible in my shot. I also revised my initial guess that it's part 293 Kingsway, as it's too far from 299 Campbell. The zoomed shot may have compressed distances, but these 6 cranes can't be more than 1 mile apart from each other.
The other three are Scout and Reunion Crossing.

Well, I suspect that two of three at 293 The Kingsway are there; you can see the existing tower there on the left side of your shot (and I think the third crane may be behind it to the left. 2376 Dundas might be another of the cranes. Agreed re: 299 Campbell. Telephoto images are so weird as left-right distances are exaggerated and depth is so, so compressed, it's tough to gauge it all!

I've identified the white and beige blocks and the shorter beige blocks in the foreground. They're at or near Landsdowne & Dupont, very close to 299 Campbell. Based on this, I think the lower red-and-white crane pointing upwards belongs to Junction House. The crane that appears to be 299 Campbell's (the one that doesn't rise above the boom) is actually Reunion Crossing's. 299 Campbell's crane is the one immediately to the left of it (looks like it has an inverted V 'clip' on the boom). I'm a bit baffled by the other crane pointing upwards: based on location, it should be Scout's, but looking at the latest shots on Scout's thread, its crane was NOT pointing upwards. It's of course possible they changed the crane's position. The brown tower with white rods on its rooftop (on the left edge of the picture) is almost certainly the existing tower of 293 The Kingsway, so one or both cranes to its right is/are part of that development, although according to GoogleMap, that address is 6.7 km away from 299 Campbell (you're right, telephoto shots can be very misleading).

One thing for sure: in any other North American city, any local construction buff would easily be able to identify which distant cranes belong to which projects, especially if they're in the inner suburbs where cranes are few and far between. But not here in Toronto ....

Back