8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

BobBob

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun for some, and helpful to me, if I posted a floor plan of a place I'm considering and had it critiqued. Pros/cons, things to be aware of, etc. I appreciate any feedback.

floorplan.png

It is actually not too bad, considering what is out there. The only minor negative is the long hallway leading into the living space, but that can afford a sense of privacy between the common hallway and your unit. As long as it is not located near the elevators and garbage chute, and the balcony does not face north, I approve.

* Move the kitchen to where bedroom 2 is, and open it through to the balcony as well as to the living room.

* Expand bedroom 3 into half of the space created by moving the kitchen.

* Create a small orgy room / art gallery / walk-in closet just inside the door to the left as you enter the apartment.

Bedrooms are way too small. 'Master' bedroom? TINY!!
Lose the the third bedroom and closet. Create a dining room and it should really open the place up.
Don't like the walk-by past the kitchen to and from the front door. Boy fellas, We sure did a number on this place, didn't we?! LOL!
This is fun!:p

Yeah, this is great input!

I had a similar idea re: opening up of the 3rd bedroom. It would also bring some more natural light to the (possibly a bit dark) back of the apartment and really utilize that back window.

Are such modifications (the removal of walls, etc) generally accepted by builders before construction?

Yeah, this is great input!

I had a similar idea re: opening up of the 3rd bedroom. It would also bring some more natural light to the (possibly a bit dark) back of the apartment and really utilize that back window.

Are such modifications (the removal of walls, etc) generally accepted by builders before construction?

Most times, yes. But do it sooner than later. Submit a drawing and get the cost in writing.
Better still negotiate it into your offer, and again, get it in writing.

Bob,
I'm curious.
Why is there a solid wall behind a glass facade along bedrooms two and three and then suddenly opening up to a window in bedroom three right at the back of the unit like that? It seems unusual.

The only thing I don’t like is where the kitchen is located (as BobBob mentioned regarding the sun light factor)… I think as you walk into the condo you’ll feel a little cluster phobic. I would see if maybe there is a way of sliding the stove and fridge counter over to the left and rotating the sink and DW counter 90 degrees to go on the third bedroom wall. This will open up space as you walk in….and you can always get a 4’x6’ breakfast island (to outline the kitchen area). As for the dining room, I am not sure.

Just a suggestion :D

Agreed that the master bedroom is a bit small. Otherwise, I like it. There is lots of window space (no bowling alley effect here). Even the third bedroom (office space?) has a window, which is by no means usual. And I don't think there would be problems moving furniture in and out, unless you have an exceptionally long couch or some such.

Pretzel, counters which include sinks or other plumbing usually can't be moved. The plumbing lines run up the building in fixed locations.

Yeah, I'd probably use bedroom 3 as an office.

Granny: The left-hand wall (north-facing) is an outside wall that is then covered with glass panels, which is why it looks strange in the diagram.

I don't mind the small-ish master bedroom as I will only use it for sleeping, and I think the smaller ones are still big enough for a single bed and desk/chair, if I have kids eventually.

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone! Keep it coming!

P.S. When we exhaust this particular layout, maybe some more people can post some of theirs and it can be an ongoing thing. Analyzing layouts is fun.

KRAMER: I'm completely changing the configuration of the apartment. You're not gonna believe it when you see it. A whole new lifestyle.
JERRY: What are you doing?
KRAMER: Levels.
JERRY: Levels?
KRAMER: Yeah, I'm getting rid of all my furniture. All of it. And I'm going to build these different levels, with steps, and it'll all be carpeted with a lot of pillows. You know, like ancient Egypt.
JERRY: You drew up plans for this?
KRAMER: No, no. It's all in my head.
MORTY: I don't know how you're going to be comfortable like that.
KRAMER: Oh, I'll be comfortable.

Back