It strikes me as bad design not to include any connections from the GO platform to the neighbourhood to the south of Eglinton, especially considering that the tracks are already grade separated from Eglinton (meaning that there's no need to dig under Eglinton).

They also eliminated this pedestrian crosswalk on the east side of the intersection in front of the station in building the LRT station, which will force pedestrians headed for the GO station to make a pointless detour to the west to cross the road legally and then to back track east again to reach the platform.

Then, there's the silly surface parking lot fronting onto Eglinton, which is the last thing you want on an urban avenue from a city-building perspective. The urban design here is a hot mess, and the city should point these issues out to Metrolinx as a stakeholder. It's setting up the GO station to struggle from a ridership perspective by making it harder for residents to access it. It's clear that like its predecessor, GO Transit, Metrolinx still struggles with the design of its train stations in city neighbourhoods.

Last edited:
There will be a pedestrian bridge connection between GO and TTC, right in front of the kiss-n-ride.
The current design doesn't futureproof or rough in anything for this. It actually will deny any future bridge connection there as currently envisioned in these drawings.

Good news, there are still plans for a bridge

snip2.PNG

snip1.PNG

Wow, from 3 tracks, 2 platforms (one island and one side), overhead walkway and new east entrance with passenger pick-up and drop-off loop, to a small extension to the existing building with stairs down (not escalators) to the single track and single platform and possibly "future" elevators. If they are only building one track at this time... isn't there a way to punch a hole into the subway station to avoid going upstairs altogether? No shovel in the ground yet though, there is still time for this to be a gravel area with an old bus shelter to wait for the train.

I hope they move the track as far west as possible before building the platform. It would be pretty embarrassing to not fit two tracks under the bridge later on.

Last edited:
Wow, from 3 tracks, 2 platforms (one island and one side), overhead walkway and new east entrance with passenger pick-up and drop-off loop, to a small extension to the existing building with stairs down (not escalators) to the single track and single platform and possibly "future" elevators. If they are only building one track at this time... isn't there a way to punch a hole into the subway station to avoid going upstairs altogether? No shovel in the ground yet though, there is still time for this to be a gravel area with an old bus shelter to wait for the train.

I hope they move the track as far west as possible before building the platform. It would be pretty embarrassing to not fit two tracks under the bridge later on.
My understanding is the bridge is getting replaced. There's a full EA for it.

My understanding is the bridge is getting replaced. There's a full EA for it.
I haven't seen any EA for the bridge replacement. It seemed like one of those "improvements by others" that show up in these plans when the hope is for others to completely pay for something that is mutually beneficial. Who is running the bridge replacement EA?

I haven't seen any EA for the bridge replacement. It seemed like one of those "improvements by others" that show up in these plans when the hope is for others to completely pay for something that is mutually beneficial. Who is running the bridge replacement EA?
City of Toronto scope, according to Metrolinx:
From Metrolinx:
Eglinton Avenue West Bridge works to be completed by the City of Toronto through discussion and coordination with Metrolinx and in advance of the Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion works. This work is to be staged such that impact to rail and roadway operations are minimal; Existing bridge to be suitably supported if Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion track work is commenced prior to the City of Toronto bridge reconstruction work being completed;
On P.4 of this thread:

Article from Alex Bozikovic in the G&M about Beltline Yards, a development that plans to connect directly to Caledonia GO:

(a GO connection is depicted in a couple of the renderings)

connection is depicted in a couple of the renderings)
Yes but don't waste our time trying to get pictures of the Caledonia GO station construction. The same results can be found from the comfort of your desk by going to Metrolinx - Barrie Line - What are we building and clicking Caledonia station. It isn't to be missed as it really gives you a sense of what they have accomplished.

In a report to the General Gov't Ctte next week, the City has identified the need to transfer a piece of the Eglinton West ROW here to Mx for the station.

Below, the parcel in question, highlighted, this reveals the original Egliinton ROW here, which was never sold off, the bridge moved the road to the south.

1710858846693.png

Eglinton has not run on this part of the ROW since 1930!

Eglinton has not run on this part of the ROW since 1930!
Interesting history there. From what I can see, Eglinton was (at least in part) grade separated from the Northern Railway as early as 1903.

Here's the earliest map I found (1903):
1710876732489.png
Here's an early aerial photo (1947):
1710876540362.png
The land for the FreshCo plaza wasn't developed until around 1965.

Back