News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Have there ever been any ridership studies/estimates, no matter how vague, for the Midtown route? Would be really interesting to have even a ballpark figure...

@Nadnev is the time traveler showing us that Midtown transit will happen in at least one timeline ;)
I did a quick estimate on how much it would cost to build the missing link and a set of parallel tracks for CP based on the amount of new grade crossings needed to free up the Midtown section.
Somewhere in the range of 30$B if that section is quad tracked to keep CP and CN traffic separate.

5-6$B if CP and CN are ok with running their traffic together on two lines.

Now powering it? It will be disconnected from the EMSF to the west for at least another year yet. I wonder if they'll trailer over a vehicle to begin testing on that end before through running is achieved...

I think that is the idea... The above ground portion is expected (key word is expected) to be completed before the underground portion. Would only makes sense to start testing on the eastern portion of the line. Then again Metrolinx usually doesn't take the common sense approach so we shall see. I can't make the virtual town hall for the eastern portion of the line but if someone could ask this question that would be awesome.

Just noticed this:
1604199570234.png

Crews at Keelesdale Station will be reopening the road and implementing the final traffic configuration! As early as Tuesday November 3, crews will begin grinding, paving, and asphalting along Eglinton Ave W, Keele St, Trethewey Drive, and Yore Rd. Road reinstatement activities will involve rolling lane closures, from Tuesday November 3 until Friday November 6. One lane will remain open in each direction at all times. Upon completion of the road restoration, all pedestrian crosswalks will be re-opened, and all turns at the intersection will be reinstated!

The cycle tracks won't be useful but whatevs.

Last edited:
If the Midtown GO Line's "Don Mills" Station is built, expect the "Science Centre" Station on Line 5 AND the Ontario Line to become a very busy transfer station.

View attachment 280742

Expect Peterborough to become a new commuter destination, IF this happens.
The corridor passes much closer to Sunnybrook Park stop than Science Centre station, although Science Centre has the Ontario Line.

Maybe I am niave, but I don't see how this will be a very busy corridor.

"Midtown" will become busy by people who do not want to go "downtown" and then go back up to "midtown". (New York City's Empire State Building is located in their "midtown", not "downtown".)

"Midtown" will become busy by people who do not want to go "downtown" and then go back up to "midtown". (New York City's Empire State Building is located in their "midtown", not "downtown".)

But how will you get there from any of the lines except Milton?

Back