News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I can’t stop thinking how horrible it will be to wait on the platform with these blistering chilly winds! If only they had an enclosure along the lines of...

3DCAF33A-0E37-4265-9B2E-DD194C7C27F8.jpeg

I thought the last we heard in October 2020 was they'd open the full line except for Eglinton station in March 2022, and open the new platforms in May 2022, and the connections from Line 5 to Line 1 in September 2022.

When did it slip?
Don’t remember when but they said that they’re not planning on opening until eglinton is ready too

Don’t remember when but they said that they’re not planning on opening until eglinton is ready too
We don't know if they are saying that cause they want crosslinx to speed up or they actually care about the riders. I wouldn't be surprised if the plan charges closer to that date.

Ah interesting. So opening almost all of it in March 2022, with the final station opening in May and some pedestrian connections in September is bad. But opening it all at once in September is good?

It doesn't feel like Metrolinx is putting passengers first.
I think it is putting the Pasengers first it would be a PR nightmare for them to open up the crosstown without Eglongton being in service. Think about what it would have been like if the TTC had opened the Bloor- Dansnforth line without Younge being complete.

I think it is putting the Pasengers first it would be a PR nightmare for them to open up the crosstown without Eglongton being in service. Think about what it would have been like if the TTC had opened the Bloor- Dansnforth line without Younge being complete.
Yeah but at least this time we have Mount Dennis and Cedarvale to boot, at least relieving some west end “crosstowners” that be heading downtown. This would also be fully justified if Caledonia GO Station was built in time, and if somehow the ttc extends their 6 Bay route to one of the stations like Avenue or Chaplin Stations for the time being, actually giving a purpose for this route to exist despite being in the tight crunch of basically 2 subway lines in the downtown core.

Yeah but at least this time we have Mount Dennis and Cedarvale to boot, at least relieving some west end “crosstowners” that be heading downtown. This would also be fully justified if Caledonia GO Station was built in time, and if somehow the ttc extends their 6 Bay route to one of the stations like Avenue or Chaplin Stations for the time being, actually giving a purpose for this route to exist despite being in the tight crunch of basically 2 subway lines in the downtown core.
That's not much of a concession though. Yonge Line is still the most important line in the city, so missing that vital connection on opening day is a pretty bad look.

That's not much of a concession though. Yonge Line is still the most important line in the city, so missing that vital connection on opening day is a pretty bad look.
Being in construction for 10+ years was the bad look. There’s nothing else we can’t expect anymore. I’d take having the rest of the line open compared to waiting for just one station to finish doing whatever its doing even though its the most important one.

So your saying that it's ok for people on the east end of the city to not be able to have a connection to the Young line because the people in the west have a connection to the Spadina line.

I fall to see why anyone excepts it to open with a major interchange station not being completed. If it was another station I could see it being bypassed but Eglinton is just as major as Eglinton West is (I refuse to use the stupid name Metrolinx came up with their planning expert and the random group of people they asked to come up with names just to be different)

So your saying that it's ok for people on the east end of the city to not be able to have a connection to the Young line because the people in the west have a connection to the Spadina line.

I fall to see why anyone excepts it to open with a major interchange station not being completed. If it was another station I could see it being bypassed but Eglinton is just as major as Eglinton West is (I refuse to use the stupid name Metrolinx came up with their planning expert and the random group of people they asked to come up with names just to be different)
It’s not about east vs west. It’s about getting some use out of the line sooner versus no one getting any use out of it even though some portion might be operable.
I’m skeptical whether they can get all the acceptance signiffs without the whole line being operable and tested as an integrated whole - but if they can, I would hope they run whatever portion they can.

- Paul

I think Toronto and the TTC are doing much better than other cities by embracing technology rather than staying stuck in the past with paper maps and printed schedules that can change and need to be reprinted and updated. Most of the time if I want to plan where I'm going now if it's somewhere new or I'm unfamiliar with it I'll use either City Mapper or Google Maps to find my destination, I can't even remember the last time I looked at a bus or streetcar route map on a pole.
"I think Toronto and the TTC are doing much better than other cities by embracing technology rather than staying stuck in the past with paper maps and printed schedules."

Only a short time back we ditched paper transfers, but OK. If the crowd is feeling better about this, then I can get on board. I'd like to see more of those LED scroll boards at important bus and streetcar stops with the time to next vehicle.

Back