News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think a lot of ppl are overstating the street section of the LRT. The only issue I see is that short bunch of stops in the golden mile section. I think one of those stops aren't needed. Other than that, it's going to be more comfortable and faster to go along Eglinton compared to being on a bus for that trip and that's the most important thing for me when it comes to mass transit. Is it more comfortable and faster than a bus.

I'd also add that if the plans they have in place for increased density come to fruition, people will be grateful for those extra stops.

The problem is that the unreliability of the surface section will affect how the underground section operates. For this amount of time and money it could have been designed properly.
This is the frustrating point I keep thinking about as the line nears completion.
Knowing the TTC, despite any contingencies to separate the underground and at-grade sections, a car breaking down on the tracks near Kennedy will still lead to chaotic delays in the underground section.

At least part of the issue IMO is that in part of the city it’s expected that you can drive on rails without issues (ie streetcar lines downtown).

If that was a southbound car turning left onto Eglinton I can see how they made the mistake. I make that turn regularly and often find myself making a sharp correction to avoid the tracks. The ever-shifting pylons and fences and lack of road markings don't help.

It's not opening up anytime in 2022. The line will be operational Jan/Feb 2023

See video as first Crosstown light rail vehicles travel from Laird Station back to their storage facility​

Light rail vehicles were recently moving across the Toronto transit route. In a moment that is a glimpse of transit to come, the vehicles were being moved for maintenance – and we have the video and images.

The Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit (LRT) route saw an impressive journey recently.

Six light rail transit vehicles made their way for the first time from Laird Station back to the Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility (EMSF), the facility that’s essentially their home base.

From link.

That's Weston Road (Mt. Dennis Station) to Laird Drive. They had to go through Cedarvale Station (Eglinton West Station) and Eglinton Station.

See video as first Crosstown light rail vehicles travel from Laird Station back to their storage facility​

Light rail vehicles were recently moving across the Toronto transit route. In a moment that is a glimpse of transit to come, the vehicles were being moved for maintenance – and we have the video and images.

The Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit (LRT) route saw an impressive journey recently.

From link.

That's Weston Road (Mt. Dennis Station) to Laird Drive. They had to go through Cedarvale Station (Eglinton West Station) and Eglinton Station.
Based on this a 2022 Q4 opening is very doable fingers crossed. Latest 2023 Q1 I would say.

Construction did start in 2011 with a tunneling contact... but that contact ended long ago. The stations they are finishing now probably only started construction in 2017 or so.
Why would construction on stations start so late? It makes no sense! Build them at the same time!

At this point to be honest with you all I am just glad we are speculating on when the line will be opening within a 12-14 month period. At least we are not bickering over another delay or concerns. As soon as stations are complete those workers will automatically move to other incomplete stations thus helping all the stations get ready quicker. We just got a train travelling on its own across the entire line what achievement. Who would have thought. We thought it would take years to fix the yonge and eglinton mess that happened there.

We are at a point where within 12-14 months the line will be open. I suspect Ford will announce an opening date early next year and declare it as a victory prior to the elections. I am sure of it. They will have to announce an opening date by the June elections.

Back