News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Can't they just implement left hand turns after Green lights instead of before, they do that on other lines if I'm not mistaken and would be a great improvement.
Better yet, left turn arrows after, if there is a light rail vehicle approaching. Left turn arrows before, if there is NO light rail vehicle approaching. Like they do in Europe. Even better, left turn arrows after, only if there is at least one vehicle in the left turn lane and turn to a yellow left turn arrow as the motor vehicle enters the intersection. Otherwise, remain with a red left turn arrow.

Why does Toronto not use RED or YELLOW LEFT TURN ARROWS? Toronto and Ontario is so far behind other jurisdictions.

Just a casual observation, but the construction activity for the central section seems to have grown immensely. I see way more workers and equipment now than in the past.

Can't they just implement left hand turns after Green lights instead of before, they do that on other lines if I'm not mistaken and would be a great improvement.
On the VIVA rapidways, typically, the Transit signal clears the bus (and only the bus) through the intersection before the left-turn phase kicks in. Of course, this only occurs if there is a bus at the intersection. I don't see how this cannot also be implemented on Eglinton given that even York gives this sort of priority to buses.

On the VIVA rapidways, typically, the Transit signal clears the bus (and only the bus) through the intersection before the left-turn phase kicks in. Of course, this only occurs if there is a bus at the intersection. I don't see how this cannot also be implemented on Eglinton given that even York gives this sort of priority to buses.
That is only implemented at a select few intersections where the bus has to turn left or right onto another street. Otherwise, left-turn vehicles still go first.

The Eglinton Crosstown website says about 38 minutes from end to end. 26 minutes between Bloor-Yonge and Kennedy.

I will believe it when I see it. That is in a perfect world with no other vehicles and perfect headway management.

Yes is it is underground and on a ROW but between signals, customers, bunching and cars turning in front of it on the above ground sections I doubt it will hit 38 minutes end to end.

That compares to about 1 hour on transit today to get from Mount Dennis to kennedy, which involves taking the bus down to line 2 and taking line 2 across.

The same trip from Yonge-Eglinton involves going down Line 1 and across Line 2 for a travel time of 39 minutes. Taking the Eglinton bus across takes 55 minutes.

So some pretty substantial time savings overall. Will give a practical alternative to getting across the city other than Line 2.

Even if it’s 5 minutes slower than advertised by ML, it’ll still offer a big relief for Scarborough riders facing line 2 disruptions.

That is only implemented at a select few intersections where the bus has to turn left or right onto another street. Otherwise, left-turn vehicles still go first.
For VIVA Orange/501 ZÜM at least, they activate the "transit-only" phase even when the bus is just going straight through (it seems like all intersections are capable of this, but I could be wrong). I have seen it in-action on multiple occasions west of VMC. Granted, I'm only out on Highway 7 during rush hour, so I assume they are only activated during this time.

For VIVA Orange/501 ZÜM at least, they activate the "transit-only" phase even when the bus is just going straight through (it seems like all intersections are capable of this, but I could be wrong). I have seen it in-action on multiple occasions west of VMC. Granted, I'm only out on Highway 7 during rush hour, so I assume they are only activated during this time.
The intersection you mentioned is Edgeley Blvd/Highway 7. They have the transit-only "vertical white bar" because before the section west of it opened, the bus needed to wait for this signal and merge back onto regular traffic. Ever since the whole section is completed they still activate the "vertical white bar".

Here is a list of intersections with the transit-only "vertical white bar" signal based on my knowledge:

Highway 7 @
  • Edgeley Blvd (westbound only) (bus merged here before completion of the next section)
  • Jane St (eastbound only) (Zum turning onto Jane)
  • Keele St (westbound only) (Discontinued VIVA Purple turning onto Keele)
  • Yonge connector (eastbound only) (VIVA orange turning left)
  • Town Centre Blvd (eastbound and northbound) (VIVA Purple going straight/turning)
  • Courtyard Ln (eastbound only) (VIVA Purple merging)
Centre Street @
  • Highway 7 (westbound only) (VIVA orange turning left)
  • Bathurst St (eastbound and southbound) (VIVA orange turning)
Bathurst Street @
  • Highway 7 Connector (northbound and westbound) (VIVA Orange turning)
Yonge Street @
  • Highway 7 Connector (southbound only) (VIVA Blue turning left/VIVA Blue A merging)
  • Major Mackenzie Dr (northbound only) (VIVA Blue merging)
  • South of Trayborn Dr (southbound only) (VIVA Blue merging)
  • Savage Rd (southbound only) (VIVA Blue merging)
  • Davis Dr (eastbound and northbound) (VIVA Blue turning/VIVA yellow going straight)

The intersection you mentioned is Edgeley Blvd/Highway 7. They have the transit-only "vertical white bar" because before the section west of it opened, the bus needed to wait for this signal and merge back onto regular traffic. Ever since the whole section is completed they still activate the "vertical white bar".

Here is a list of intersections with the transit-only "vertical white bar" signal based on my knowledge:

Highway 7 @
  • Edgeley Blvd (westbound only) (bus merged here before completion of the next section)
  • Town Centre Blvd (eastbound and northbound) (VIVA Purple going straight/turning)
Centre Street @
Bathurst Street @
Yonge Street @
  • Highway 7 Connector (southbound only) (VIVA Blue turning left/VIVA Blue A merging)
  • Davis Dr (eastbound and northbound) (VIVA Blue turning/VIVA yellow going straight)
The vertical white bar is the ONLY legally allowed transit specific signal allowed by Ontario. Shows how far behind the rest of the world Ontario is.
3-2-9.jpg
From link.

"Illegal" in Ontario, where they don't like change or improvements...
fig8c_03.gif
From link.

Highway 7 @
Centre Street @
Bathurst Street @
Yonge Street @
Ah, thanks for the info. I just assumed this was something all intersections allowed. As for the Crosstown, I guess we'll just have to wait a few months to see how fast the test trains can go on the at-grade section (and pray they're not unbearably slow). I'm just going to be happy construction is finally over.

Ah, thanks for the info. I just assumed this was something all intersections allowed. As for the Crosstown, I guess we'll just have to wait a few months to see how fast the test trains can go on the at-grade section (and pray they're not unbearably slow). I'm just going to be happy construction is finally over.
The TTC is operating it, and applying many of the streetcar operating rules to it. Expect speeds and rules similar to the St Clair and Spadina lines (i.e. not great)

Back