News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think they could probably run it better than it is now at least they would actually work with other transit agencies to solve problems with things like fare integration instead of wasting time and money on doing a study on wayfinding that created a problem and then a saloution to it.

The TTC is hardly the expert on fare integration. If anything, Metrolinx is doing a much better job of it already.

IMG-20210221-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210221-WA0000.jpg

Update from the Victoria Park/O'Connor stop, more of these orange poles have been installed now. I have seen them at all the stops between Don Mills and Warden, and it's a bit hard to see but there is a tiny "Metrolinx" logo right at the bottom which seems a little odd for placement....

View attachment 301375View attachment 301376
Update from the Victoria Park/O'Connor stop, more of these orange poles have been installed now. I have seen them at all the stops between Don Mills and Warden, and it's a bit hard to see but there is a tiny "Metrolinx" logo right at the bottom which seems a little odd for placement....
Toronto transit users will be looking for the white and red signs of the TTC. Expect "lost" users.

existingstoppoles.jpg

From link.

Ottawa's geology is extremely conductive to tunnels, which made it quite cheap. The downtown is essentially built on a gigantic bluff of the Canadian Shield - hard, solid rock that is easy to mine.

Toronto's bedrock is primarily limestone and is typically at a deeper level. Softer rock make it way, way more expensive.

Primarily shale. And yea other than south of Bloor it's fairly deep.

View attachment 301375

I wonder if Metrolinx considers those posts "decorative but functional design elements" or "threshold markers". I guess we will need to see what they put on the other mounts and the unadorned thinner square poles in the picture. I'm a bit worried because nowhere in their standard did it suggest the "T" logo goes on top of a coloured background signifying a line colour. What would they do if a red LRT and white LRT route met here? "T" on a candy cane? The whole point of a wayfinding standard is to come up with a complex wayfinding scenario and devise a coordinated solution so the outcome doesn't look haphazard. Here they have created what looks like a threshold marker which has "T" logo on line colour background, with no facility name, and no differentiation between the entrances. Not having a differentiation between entrances is actually a gap in the standard as published because without indication of Eastbound Platform "E" and Westbound Platform "W" for someone who doesn't know directions they are not going to know where to enter (which is even a bigger gap when the standard is applied to Tahoe Station on the Busway).

Wayfinding_LRT_Layout.png

Wayfinding_ThresholdMarkers.png

Although we thin ML could do better, a tall pole like that really helps wayfinding. Without it, people won't be able to locate the entrance from far. It's much easier to figure out what side of the road is the entrance. However they should put a TTC subway sign on top. It would unify signage across the system. Or TTC could install these poles on all subway entrances😆

I wonder if Metrolinx considers those posts "decorative but functional design elements" or "threshold markers". I guess we will need to see what they put on the other mounts and the unadorned thinner square poles in the picture. I'm a bit worried because nowhere in their standard did it suggest the "T" logo goes on top of a coloured background signifying a line colour. What would they do if a red LRT and white LRT route met here? "T" on a candy cane? The whole point of a wayfinding standard is to come up with a complex wayfinding scenario and devise a coordinated solution so the outcome doesn't look haphazard. Here they have created what looks like a threshold marker which has "T" logo on line colour background, with no facility name, and no differentiation between the entrances. Not having a differentiation between entrances is actually a gap in the standard as published because without indication of Eastbound Platform "E" and Westbound Platform "W" for someone who doesn't know directions they are not going to know where to enter (which is even a bigger gap when the standard is applied to Tahoe Station on the Busway).

View attachment 301409
View attachment 301410

Very valid point, it doesn't make that much sense in the long run but I do think the unadorned thinner pole will also have information on it as it is located next to the ramp to get to the platform.

As for East and West signage, it is difficult to see in the recent pictures but if you go back to older pictures it is posted on the side of the shelters "East bound platform" and "westbound platform".

Although we thin ML could do better, a tall pole like that really helps wayfinding. Without it, people won't be able to locate the entrance from far. It's much easier to figure out what side of the road is the entrance. However they should put a TTC subway sign on top. It would unify signage across the system. Or TTC could install these poles on all subway entrances😆
I think the plan is to put diff stickers on it closer to opening one of which would be the ttc logo

I remember after the Line 2 (then called the Bloor-Danforth Subway) opened on the Saturday, February 26, 1966, on the Monday, crowds of people still went and stood at the streetcar stops on Bloor Street or Danforth Avenue to wait for a streetcar that never came. You may have all the signs, radio & television & newspaper announcements, and talk, people will still not know what is happening.

I remember after the Line 2 (then called the Bloor-Danforth Subway) opened on the Saturday, February 26, 1966, on the Monday, crowds of people still went and stood at the streetcar stops on Bloor Street or Danforth Avenue to wait for a streetcar that never came. You may have all the signs, radio & television & newspaper announcements, and talk, people will still not know what is happening.
Uninformed doesn't make people stupid. TTC didn't do their communication well enough. Nowadays, they could be playing a message on the Eglinton buses telling them when Line 5 will open. Buses that intersect Eglinton could have the same message when approaching Eglinton. Chances are they won't do it and just leaving the opening date on an hourly announcement on the subway PA system.

Back