News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Leslie intersection could certainly been better designed - why they didn't go for a south-side alignment through that area I don't know. I'm not sure it would have even cost more money - perhaps less with the simpler arrangement. It's almost like someone was trying to protect a future Leslie extension to the south.
This is digging deep into the recesses of my memory, but my recollection from those meetings was that they wanted to keep the grade-separated interchange with the then Celestica lands as part of the revamp of the lands around Don Mills and Eglinton. When it was pointed out to them that they could fill the bridge and put an at-grade intersection there - much as was then planned at Wynford - the planners claimed that traffic levels there were going to be higher than at Wynford and thus necessitated a grade-separated interchange, plus would allow for safer active transportation access to the park.

Dan

Unless we're talking at grade crossing with boom gates... it kinda does.

Kinda like the outer ends of the CTA Brown, Pink, Blue (Congress) and Purple Lines, speaking of the L.
The majority of the red and blue lines in Calgary have them too. And the Capital and Metro lines in Edmonton. The same could have been done on Eglinton through Scarborough.

True. For some reason we think it's a great idea to build a subway extension to one of those places. :p

I would've had no problem with an elevated line here, but I understand why they decided to build a street level solution. A little surprising people still have so much of a problem with it. We can certainly point to a lot of cities with elevated rail, but there also many cities that have street level LRTs. I'm sure people will find this line quite convenient.
My prediction is that you're going to hear a lot more people having a problem with it after the line opens. The general public doesn't pay attention to the specifics of how a line is designed while it's being built. They don't care if it's elevated or at the surface or in a tunnel. But they do have a general idea of how rapid transit operates. We're probably going to see a lot of complaints and bad press when people realize that the expensive new line on the subway map whose construction disrupted the area for more than a decade has to stop at red lights and wait for cars to turn left. The news story practically writes itself.

The majority of the red and blue lines in Calgary have them too. And the Capital and Metro lines in Edmonton. The same could have been done on Eglinton through Scarborough.

My prediction is that you're going to hear a lot more people having a problem with it after the line opens. The general public doesn't pay attention to the specifics of how a line is designed while it's being built. They don't care if it's elevated or at the surface or in a tunnel. But they do have a general idea of how rapid transit operates. We're probably going to see a lot of complaints and bad press when people realize that the expensive new line on the subway map whose construction disrupted the area for more than a decade has to stop at red lights and wait for cars to turn left. The news story practically writes itself.
Should crossing gates be installed along Queen' Quay, Spadina Avenue, St. Clair Avenue West, The Queensway streetcar right-of-ways, and the RapidTO bus lanes? 😄
o_O

Should crossing gates be installed along Queen' Quay, Spadina Avenue, St. Clair Avenue West, The Queensway streetcar right-of-ways, and the RapidTO bus lanes? 😄
o_O
Honestly, yes

I seem to recall a final admission that they could do side road, and it would be better, but didn’t want to reopen the EA following the underground flip flop debacle

Yes that was pretty much the case, it looked like the PC's where going to win the upcoming election, and if they did without the eastern tunnels construction being awarded, then the entire line east of Yonge would have been at risk.

If you’ll pardon one more shot from the competition…. Here’s a nearly-ready Edmonton LRT stop. Note how there is a shelter for each door opening on the tram. I think this is far superior to Crosstown’s design as it distributes sheltering riders down the platform, making boarding quicker than if they all huddle in one shelter and bunch up at one or two doorways.
Each shelter has auto-opening automatic doors, which striikes me as an extravagance and possible maintenance cost/headache - but I’m told existing LRT stations have them, and they work fine even in winter.
Leaving provincial politics aside, Edmonton is way ahead of Toronto in terms of urban planning and I would say LRT station design.
My only quibble is with the way the line alternates between centre of roadway and side of roadway…. Sideswipe potential and repeated conflict between cars and tram.
Nicer OCS, too…. But leading side stop locations….

- Paul

View attachment 357846You must remember that Edmonton has been doing this since the late 70's. This isn't their first rodeo. They've had time to improve stops and make it more convenient for passengers, while Toronto is going to learn this as the years go by with their first LRT lines coming online soon.

Ho hum, another weekend of subway closures.

No subway service, November 13, 14: Finch to St Clair​

2021%20-%2011-13%20-%20Finch%20to%20St%20Clair.jpg

All day Saturday, November 13 and Sunday, November 14, the TTC is closing Line 1 Yonge - University subway between Finch and St Clair stations. Line 1 trains operate only between St Clair and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre stations those days.
Shuttle buses partly replace subway service. The buses start and end their trips in the bus terminals at Finch and St Clair stations, but also drop off or pick up passengers on the street near the other stations on this part of the line.
(Or, consider a shuttle-bus alternative.)
Most stations on the closed section of Line 1 remain open so you can pay fares or connect with TTC buses, streetcars and Line 4 Sheppard trains or GO Transit and York Region Transit buses. However, North York Centre and Lawrence stations are closed. (At Lawrence Station, board buses along the 52 Lawrence West route on the north side of Lawrence Avenue West at Lorindale Avenue. Board buses along the 124 Sunnybrook and 162 Lawrence Donway routes on the south side of Lawrence West at Yonge Street.)
Note also that the TTC is closing exits / entrances at two other stations:
  • at Sheppard - Yonge Station, the automatic exits / entrances at Yonge Street and Poyntz Avenue and at Yonge Street and Anndale Drive are closed. Use other station entrances.
  • at York Mills Station, the Old York Mills Road exit / entrance is closed. Use the other station entrances in the York Mills Centre and the Yonge Corporate Centre or at the corner of Yonge Street and Wilson Avenue.
While this section of Line 1 is closed, Metrolinx contractors work on the Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit line. TTC crews will take advantage of the closure to work on the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system and Easier Access projects.
The TTC says that “The existing signals, relays, wiring and cabling equipment, much of which is over 60 years old, need replacing as their failure significantly impacts service. Once Automatic Train Control is fully installed and operational, [passengers] will see improved frequency of subway service, less crowding and greater reliability of the signal system.”
According to a TTC news release, “While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state of good repair work as well as ATC signal upgrades.”

Continue reading No subway service, November 13, 14: Finch to St Clair.
From link.

When will there come a time that there will be no Line 1 closures to accommodate Line 5 construction? Maybe we will close the Yonge and Eglinton intersection for a street party?

Oh wait! Then there will be future street closures for the Osgoode Station and Queen Station on Line 1, Pape Station on Line 2, and Science Centre Station on Line 5 for construction of the Ontario Line.

69398544.jpg
From link.

When will there come a time that there will be no Line 1 closures to accommodate Line 5 construction? Maybe we will close the Yonge and Eglinton intersection for a street party?

Oh wait! Then there will be future street closures for the Osgoode Station and Queen Station on Line 1, Pape Station on Line 2, and Science Centre Station on Line 5 for construction of the Ontario Line.

The good news is that the new Line 3 Ontario Line will be so deep that Line 1 and Line 2 will not need to close, and being elevated at Don Mills there should be no closure at Line 5 either. But, street closures at certain locations will definitely happen, and streetcar tracks will be renewed, sewers will need rebuild, roads will be repaved, and new things will be built continually until some far distant future where no people live here and perhaps the sun has burnt out.

The good news is that the new Line 3 Ontario Line will be so deep that Line 1 and Line 2 will not need to close, and being elevated at Don Mills there should be no closure at Line 5 either. But, street closures at certain locations will definitely happen, and streetcar tracks will be renewed, sewers will need rebuild, roads will be repaved, and new things will be built continually until some far distant future where no people live here and perhaps the sun has burnt out.
How are you possibly confirming that the construction of this line will not need closure of any other line or station just because it's so deep? Just because it's deep doesn't mean there's no construction happening under or near the existing subway. I'm not saying they couldn't but a few will be necessary I do hope you realize.

How are you possibly confirming that the construction of this line will not need closure of any other line or station just because it's so deep? Just because it's deep doesn't mean there's no construction happening under or near the existing subway. I'm not saying they couldn't but a few will be necessary I do hope you realize.
There will be construction in the station around the perimeter, but the tunnel will be bored through the area far underneath the station. You only need to close the line when your construction impacts track level and signalling. I don't think they needed to close Line 1 at Eglinton West did they? The closures at Eglinton are mainly due to shifting the subway platform northbound. I would be surprised if they have anything more than a station closure where trains still run through the station... although Line 2 will probably get ATC upgrades needing some closures unrelated to the Ontario Line.

There will be construction in the station around the perimeter, but the tunnel will be bored through the area far underneath the station. You only need to close the line when your construction impacts track level and signalling. I don't think they needed to close Line 1 at Eglinton West did they? The closures at Eglinton are mainly due to shifting the subway platform northbound. I would be surprised if they have anything more than a station closure where trains still run through the station... although Line 2 will probably get ATC upgrades needing some closures unrelated to the Ontario Line.
Let's just hope no trains get buried while they are excavating underneath rumbling trains.

I think they installed those support columns underneath all the GO train tracks at Union during off peak times.

Don't read, listen, or look at the news?

Downtown section of Queen Street may be closed for nearly 5 years for Ontario Line construction

From link, dated August 17, 2021.

A section of Queen Street in Toronto may be closed for nearly five years to construct a new subway station downtown.

On Tuesday, Metrolinx announced its detour plans to manage construction of a new Ontario Line subway stop at the intersection of Yonge and Queen streets.

The new subway station will be located underneath Queen Station and will provide connections to the existing Line 1 subway and TTC surface routes.
The proposed closure of Queen Street is expected to start in early 2023 and last for about four and a half years into 2027.

Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins says the Queen Street closure will be the most difficult to accommodate throughout the construction of the Ontario Line.

“Even though you're building subway underground, it's going to have impacts above ground. And we're going to limit them as much as we can by doing all kinds of things but it is definitely going to have an impact on cars, as well as transit,” Aikins told CTV News Toronto.
image.jpeg

Metrolinx says detours will be made for both streetcar lines and car traffic around two parts of Queen on either side of Yonge, while maintaining pedestrian connections.

All vehicles and streetcars will be diverted off Queen from east of Bay Street to Yonge Street and from Yonge to Victoria streets.

Metrolinx says it decided to go with a full closure instead of a partial one to speed up construction.

“We looked at a partial closure option, but diverting all traffic for a set period of time means construction can be completed over a year sooner, the Ontario Line can open more than nine months earlier, and we can minimize disruptions to residents, businesses and visitors,” Malcolm MacKay, Metrolinx program sponsor for the Ontario Line, said in a news release on Tuesday.

Yonge, Bay and Victoria streets will remain open to cross north and south across Queen throughout construction and pedestrian access will remain open to all businesses in the area.

“There's some advantages that we didn't have in Eglinton [station construction] that we have here at Queen Street. They're all large businesses, they all have access off of Queen Street, and in some cases many different access points and even underground access. “So there's lots of advantages, there will always be pedestrian traffic so that will always be maintained,” Aikins says.

Streetcars will run on detour routes on Richmond and Adelaide streets during construction.

Metrolinx says it will construct new tracks that will link Queen to Adelaide via York Street for eastbound route diversions. Streetcar tracks that connect Queen to Richmond already exist for westbound diversions.
image.jpeg

For businesses in the area, Metrolinx says it will use “proven noise and vibration solutions” to address potential disruptions.

A 24-hour hotline will also be created to give people access to someone who can listen to their concerns, along with offices along the route to answer questions and provide updates.

Aikins says the closure and detour plan will go to city council for approval in November.

Metrolinx also plans to host a virtual open house about the closure in the coming weeks. More details can be found on Metrolinx's website.

Yonge & Queen will see the "worst" closures, however we can expect to see closures at the other intersections, but not as bad.

Don't forget the 5 year partial closure of Bloor near Yonge starting 2024.

Last edited:

Back