News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That would be great, Varsity is going to be the only cinema going to remain in that area.

Ya great, less screens to play non-Hollywood fare.

That's unfortunate. Seems like movie-going will soon be only another big box store experience.

I wonder if 146 Bloor W. (former Famous Players offices) will become part of this redevelopment project. That building has been empty for a couple of years now.

Am I the only person that wonders where this condo-mania is going to end up? Forty story towers looking into 40 story towers? Maybe Spiderman would be enthralled, but look at what we are giving up!

I love tall buildings. Plaza 100 at Jarvis & Wellesly is a fabulous example of what this city could be. WTF is going on in the core? Every building is being knocked down and a 40 story tower is going up!

Egad, are we going to have to drive to Vaughan for entertainment next? If the theatres are closing up (well, we've already lost 3 major theatres in that area), what next?

We're even moving old mansions (on Sherbourne) to make room for 40 story towers. We're squeezing two towers on lots where only one should be (Murano).

Has anyone 'in the know' bothered to make a scale model of the core and really look at what this is going to end up like? Who is going to want to live here in 10 years?

I wonder if 146 Bloor W. (former Famous Players offices) will become part of this redevelopment project. That building has been empty for a couple of years now.

completely empty?? how many square feet?

I don't really think you could characterize the Cumberland as a 'major theatre' but I'll definitely miss it. The theatres were oddly shaped (almost oblong) and you could faintly hear the subway trains sometimes, but it had a lot of charm.

Sad to see it go.

It's a no-brainer that it's all likely part of the same package. And given the awkward early 80s aesthetic, it's probably a no-brainer that this was on the likely brink of redevelopment as well...

Am I the only person that wonders where this condo-mania is going to end up? Forty story towers looking into 40 story towers? Maybe Spiderman would be enthralled, but look at what we are giving up!

I love tall buildings. Plaza 100 at Jarvis & Wellesly is a fabulous example of what this city could be. WTF is going on in the core? Every building is being knocked down and a 40 story tower is going up!

Egad, are we going to have to drive to Vaughan for entertainment next? If the theatres are closing up (well, we've already lost 3 major theatres in that area), what next?

We're even moving old mansions (on Sherbourne) to make room for 40 story towers. We're squeezing two towers on lots where only one should be (Murano).

Has anyone 'in the know' bothered to make a scale model of the core and really look at what this is going to end up like? Who is going to want to live here in 10 years?
Other cities in this world have already done this a long time ago. Maybe ask them... I'd start with Hong Kong.

The physical theatre itself is of far less significance than the place it held in the spectrum of movie options it presented to the population. If others are willing to fill the gap then its lose isn't that important, if not, the richness of the city's cultural life is diminished.

Dichotomy, don't worry something will eventually slow the condo mania. It's called the market and when it comes it will exact its vengence on the development industry and buyers alike.

Those were brutal theatres. Long matchbox shaped auditoriums, obstructed views because there are no inclines, non cushioned seat backs and no leg room. I won't miss them.

I like they way they (for a while) hired concession staff with developmental challenges. It was great seeing the pride they took in their work, although the impatience of some movie patrons was occasionally disheartening.

I'm sure one of the big boxes will set aside some screens for foreign films and so forth. There's enough pretentiousness in this city to support it.

Back