News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I wouldn't be opposed to a path extension like that in addition to a bike lane on 112 Ave, but I would consider it to be an absolute failure as an alternative.
Having the bike lane directly on 112 Ave supports access to shopping and services which is critically important to supporting usage of this infrastructure. Not to mention grade changes, inevitable winter condition, or that since it's hidden/out of the way its usage would be far lower for casual users; many will still opt to just ride on the sidewalk down the main road anyways.
Personally I would use a bike lane on 112 to get to the Save-On. I wouldn't use this one under the Kinnaird bridge ever.

112 Ave definitely needs a separated MUP on the north side for access to Save On and Borden Park.

I wouldn't be opposed to a path extension like that in addition to a bike lane on 112 Ave, but I would consider it to be an absolute failure as an alternative.
Having the bike lane directly on 112 Ave supports access to shopping and services which is critically important to supporting usage of this infrastructure. Not to mention grade changes, inevitable winter condition, or that since it's hidden/out of the way its usage would be far lower for casual users; many will still opt to just ride on the sidewalk down the main road anyways.
Personally I would use a bike lane on 112 to get to the Save-On. I wouldn't use this one under the Kinnaird bridge ever.
I agree that a bike lane on 112 ave would be preferable, but I'm not holding my breath. I do not see them spending the money or disruption to mess with that intersection. I think a proper bike crossing at 80th street from the bike lane along 112ave S would allow access to Save On a lot better than currently is available.

My idea is mainly to fix the conflict I see with bike commuters from Highlands and area travelling into the core, which I would argue is the majority of bike usage through here. I agree it has problems with grade, maintenance, and visibility but IMO it would be the most realistic way to get real separated bike infrastructure through the area.

As northlands pointed out, the lack of bike consideration on the Kinnaird Bridge rehab was a major miss by the city and IMO is further evidence of the lack of actual commitment to bike infrastructure by city administration.

Proposal to pedestrianize section of 83 Ave. Makes total sense.

Screenshot_20240318-173719_Slack.jpg

You can never get rid of stupid. Seeing cars traveling in separated bike lanes in Vancouver was almost a daily occurrence.

• Administration estimates it would need between $20 million and $65 million to upgrade the lighting on 86 kilometres of its active transportation routes to meet current requirements. The lower end of the range would see lighting improved on district connector routes, while the higher end of the range would include neighbourhood routes. Administration said council could fund the lighting upgrades through the $100 million active transportation fund that was approved in the 2023-2026 budget, but that could mean up to 60 kilometres of new active transportation infrastructure would be cancelled. A report detailing the lighting enhancement options is scheduled to be presented at the urban planning committee meeting on April 9.

I think at this stage we skip lighting for most routes. Most people ride most in the summer, which we thankfully have very long daylight hours during. Anyone biking at night is already required to have lights and a nice $80-120 light for bikes works incredibly well.

No routes should be cut from being built to add lights unless somehow severely needed.

I think at this stage we skip lighting for most routes. Most people ride most in the summer, which we thankfully have very long daylight hours during. Anyone biking at night is already required to have lights and a nice $80-120 light for bikes works incredibly well.

No routes should be cut from being built to add lights unless somehow severely needed.
I complete agree. Lighting is important, but not nearly as important as getting the network expanded and connected.

Knowing the way this city council operates, they'll cut routes in favor of unneeded lighting.

Knowing the way this city council operates, they'll cut routes in favor of unneeded lighting.
I don't think I would say "unneeded lighting", lighting plays a big role in many women's sense of safety in public spaces. If we want to make our public infrastructure comfortable for everyone it has high value. But I would agree it shouldn't come by redirecting planned expansion. Rather, lighting should come from the same budget as lighting upgrades on roads.

Spend 1mil buying 10,000 bike headlights and give them away for free before you spend 20-60mil on pathway lights

Glenwood Renewal!

This honestly looks awesome. Highlights:
- tons of new trees and boulevards
- shared paths everywhere
- new sidewalks
- lots of curb bulbs, raised crossings, and continuous crossings.
- alley SUP is big for 170st arterial not having a proper bike route yet (sidewalk west of 170st needs one still honestly, just got built before that was the standard).

Please share feedback and affirm the good work here. Still some strong anti bike/change people in this community. So let’s show them people like this direction!

Back