News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I just make a point of cleaning off the snow as soon as I get home. Lubing the chain regularly. And before I park it for a long time give is a full cleaning and lubing. You BB should be ok with just cleaning the cranks with a rag. Clothing gets cleaned after each ride. And Studded tire are a must. Mind you with todays Ice not much helps.

I would love it if 95 St between Jasper and 118 Ave got this kind of treatment. It's wide enough to handle cars, parking, and cycling lanes (there's also plenty of parking options on adjacent roads). I also think it would open a quick and direct route downtown for commuting cyclists from the northeast, and would likely prove to be more welcoming than 96 St. I think it would also further enliven the street through Little Italy. Routing cyclists through the east end of downtown might be a challenge but it would result in more eyes on the road. Just one place I can think of.
Welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to getting to know you! If you're interested, you can introduce yourself here :)

This has been terrible almost all winter with ice - 102 Ave bike lane as it passes through Railtown between 110 and 111 streets. Seniors residences and both sides of this MUP as well. Icy and dangerous. I am on this path almost every day and I have seen city crews out a couple of times but whatever process they are using here is not working. Really fed up - the pics were from this morning. Agsin this is a major multi use corridor for active transportation.

I've reported to 311 more than once and shared with Coun. Stevenson.

20220126_074533.jpg
20220126_074547.jpg
20220126_074601.jpg

This has been terrible almost all winter with ice - 102 Ave bike lane as it passes through Railtown between 110 and 111 streets. Seniors residences and both sides of this MUP as well. Icy and dangerous. I am on this path almost every day and I have seen city crews out a couple of times but whatever process they are using here is not working. Really fed up - the pics were from this morning. Agsin this is a major multi use corridor for active transportation.

View attachment 376842View attachment 376843View attachment 376844
Brutal...I have to ride this tonight. Yay.

This winter's freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycle has not been kind to MUPs or sidewalks. Weather like this is when we should be using more ice melt, which we seem to have a strong aversion to in this city.
I've seen them use a machine on this section of the MUP and it has a large spinning blue brush on it. It doesn't do the job - basically just polishes the ice.
It's not that the city hasn't made efforts here, but it has largely been wasted efforts which is very unfortunate.

Last edited:
This winter's freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycle has not been kind to MUPs or sidewalks. Weather like this is when we should be using more ice melt, which we seem to have a strong aversion to in this city.
Its not been kind to any riding. Even with studs its still a challenge some days. But then on the trail system in the valley you hit the occasional fun fast sections.

View attachment 376842View attachment 376843View attachment 376844

Just thought I would update this. City crew was out this morning. Much of the ice gone, and can see pavement. Some parts of the ice is still there but a big dump of sand mix makes it safer and much more manageable. As noted I had sent on 311 app 3 days ago and called it last night.

20220129_094054.jpg

20220129_093913.jpg

Highlights from the report: A total of 678 km of new bike paths are planned, with an anticipated total cost of $190 million to the City and $115m to developers. To put that into perspective, the Yellowhead Freeway conversion project cost $1 billion.
That works out to 12-19m a year on a 10 to 15 year timeline. Also, that quote is for doing everything through stand alone retrofits, which is way more expensive than piggybacking on existing construction projects. This seems like a no brainer to me.

1643945281584.png
1643945297377.png
1643945327191.png
1643945514299.png
1643945530314.png

Attachments

• 1643948196692.png
    1643948196692.png
    624.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Highlights from the report: A total of 678 km of new bike paths are planned, with an anticipated total cost of $190 million to the City and $115 to developers. To put that into perspective, the Yellowhead Freeway conversion project cost $1 billion.

View attachment 378507View attachment 378508View attachment 378509View attachment 378510View attachment 378511
This is really exciting. The plan says 2021 to 2026, but then also sites a 10-15 year implementation with 15-20mil a year going towards implementation.

I hope we can accelerate that. 15 years is crazy long. 15 years ago we got the iphone. Think of how life has changed since. Money isn't endless, but we should look at temporary measures for mass implementation I believe whilestaggering the AAA quality build out. Concrete barriers and planters and parking protected lanes can be implemented asap.

Getting the SE LRT connected to bike routes should be hyper priority with west end bikes routes for the WVL also being finished before 2027 LRT opening.

This is really exciting. The plan says 2021 to 2026, but then also sites a 10-15 year implementation with 15-20mil a year going towards implementation.

I hope we can accelerate that. 15 years is crazy long. 15 years ago we got the iphone. Think of how life has changed since. Money isn't endless, but we should look at temporary measures for mass implementation I believe whilestaggering the AAA quality build out. Concrete barriers and planters and parking protected lanes can be implemented asap.

Getting the SE LRT connected to bike routes should be hyper priority with west end bikes routes for the WVL also being finished before 2027 LRT opening.

These are the near term priority routes, with a total retrofit implementation cost of 20 million. Honestly, this is pretty damn good. Getting that connection on 97 St would be a game changer.
1643948292362.png

Highlights from the report: A total of 678 km of new bike paths are planned, with an anticipated total cost of $190 million to the City and $115m to developers. To put that into perspective, the Yellowhead Freeway conversion project cost $1 billion.
That works out to 12-19m a year on a 10 to 15 year timeline. Also, that quote is for doing everything through stand alone retrofits, which is way more expensive than piggybacking on existing construction projects. This seems like a no brainer to me.

View attachment 378507View attachment 378508View attachment 378509View attachment 378510View attachment 378511
Another noteworthy map is that of the current and future all-season cycling network.
BikeNetwork.PNG

Bike Network.PNG

Examples provided of each category: Downtown protected bike lanes are level one, most shared-use pathways are level two, and painted bike lanes in neighbourhoods are level three.

Wow only 200 million, what a bargain, I'll say lets skim some money from the yellowhead expansion and delay terwillegar drive expansion to build this please! I bet these bike lanes will be way more transformative on traffic than those 2 other projects combined!

Back