News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Interesting that the bus stop is marked TTC when this is a miway only stop. The 50 turns in the loop just east of Mill.
Also interesting is that the map inside the bus shelter is a TTC map. :) Bus stop + shelter is maintained by Toronto / Astral.

@Northern Light The Eglinton TOday page has been updated with some stakeholder meeting group summaries that include project updates. In the January update there is a grainy presentation slide with an updated map. It appears to show the four lane cross section extended east from Bathurst to Spadina and configuration B replacing configuration D between Oakwood to Times Road. On page 2 there is a reference to the cycle tracks being protected by only bollards and *not* curbs.

Also this from the March stakeholder consultation stood out to me:
"The project team is working hard to align the complete street installation as closely as possible with the opening of the ECLRT."

View attachment 551294

I have confirmed there are no material changes to this project.

All bike lanes/cycle tracks will have separation, but curbs appear only where there is no parking; where there is parking, you get the bollards.

@Northern Light The Eglinton TOday page has been updated with some stakeholder meeting group summaries that include project updates. In the January update there is a grainy presentation slide with an updated map. It appears to show the four lane cross section extended east from Bathurst to Spadina and configuration B replacing configuration D between Oakwood to Times Road. On page 2 there is a reference to the cycle tracks being protected by only bollards and *not* curbs.

Also this from the March stakeholder consultation stood out to me:
"The project team is working hard to align the complete street installation as closely as possible with the opening of the ECLRT."

View attachment 551294
honestly they should just build a bi-directional cycle track with a 4 meter width. It would be a better use of the limited space, as you could consolidate the buffers space into one.

I have confirmed there are no material changes to this project.

All bike lanes/cycle tracks will have separation, but curbs appear only where there is no parking; where there is parking, you get the bollards.
Bollards with no curbs? More like bollocks.

The only places I've seen that are maybe the Bloor Viaduct, or some early installs on Bloor West's bikeway. I am sure there are others, but it's a) a less efficient install as the bollards must be bolted into the road, rather than into curbs, but moreover, b) They get mowed down mercilessly, as there is little incentive for cars and trucks not to run into them accidentally on purpose.

The amount of safe passage they give cyclists is minimal, just slightly better than paint alone. Given the volumes and aggressiveness on Eglinton currently, I see this as a fatal flaw, and unfortunately that may be literal.

Last edited:
While I was happy at first, I think this is a sign that the city has given up on this last portion of the trail between Marlee and the Allenway.

View attachment 551075
Why build a fully separated bike lane all along Roselawn from the Allen Greenway to Marlee if youre going to use the part labelled "Future York Beltline trail connection"

Seems to me like they aren't going to use it and are just not saying so to not get any negative feedback until this work is done

I have been searching for answers on a city council motion from Councillor Colle, passed in 2021 for transportation services to do a feasibility study on building a bridge over the Allen, which is really the only way to make a sensible Beltline extension work.

Unfortunately I recently conirmed that staff have not done this or started it, and they have no plans to. They cited budget and other priorities, but still a bit of a shock that staff can simply not do something that was requested and passed at council three years ago.

Maybe someday it will be done, but for now they are focused on selling these above changes. They are mostly postive, but I think converting the south sidewalk on Roselawn to a bidirectional MUP is a cop out. It forces very different users together in close quarters, as it's not like they have the width of the MGT there. It's a compromise based on the space they have, and not wanting to even consider the bigger challenge of making a truly seamless trail across the Allen.

Last edited:
By bolllards, I assume they mean flexiposts?

Flexiposts are definitely not bollards worthy of the term. A bollard is a physical impediment to provide protection. A flexipost is glorified paint that won't deflect a vehicle and may make the driver think twice about scuffing their paint.

Fair point. Bollards seems to be the term used by the city of Toronto for several designs, but all of them are plastic and more or less flimsy. The newer ones put in in High Park, for example, are a sturdier round design but still plastic and would do no real damage to a car. Other than the low barrier curbs like on Adelaide, I don't see many bike lane protections in Toronto that prioritize cyclist safety above car damage.

Back