News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This was a pilot bike lane. I think what was done on Danforth with concrete curbs bolted to the roadway and flex posts would be better. If we want planters, they should be built in a mort permanent way. These have been hit by cars on a regular basis since they went in.

Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong is anti-cyclist...

He once came to my mom's door with a petition to criminalize skateboarding on public property. She asked why they didn't build a skate park. He said 'too expensive & these kids are criminals in training' -- my brother was a skateboarder -- he was impolitely told to take a hike.
What a reprehensible response from an elected official to a smart proposal from students. I would like to see Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong's financial credentials. Or better yet...his urban planning credentials..since we're criticizing the credentials of people with ideas.

Last edited:
This is exactly the type of comment that I hope leads to him losing in the next election. A good chunk of the students that attend that high school live in his ward. They'll be voters within a year or two.

He won by a roughly 4,000 vote margin the last time.

It'll be a tough battle to unseat him; even though it should be easy.

Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong is anti-cyclist...

I have a lot I could say about DMW; but I think, I'll endeavour not to be banned for use of profane language.

LOL, suffice to say, I'm not his biggest fan.

In respect of this bridge, I wish the article offered more information.

For instance, at one point Jacquelyn Hayward of the City says:

"The City recognizes the need to enhance the bridge with wider sidewalks and higher railings, for example, and several of the concepts that the students were looking to see are already incorporated in preliminary designs,"

Good. But how much wider? Is that to be achieved by reducing lane width, or is the proposal to enlarge the deck slightly? What about bike lanes?

Can the bridge support additional weight? If so, could the sidewalk be shifted out, either on an enlarged deck, or cantilevered?

If not, has the option of a dedicated by bike bridge; and/or pedestrian bike bridges been considered?

I don't expect the kids to know all these things; but I do expect the reporter to ask those questions.

Then, and only then, can we get to costs; and details.

The City also makes clear they aren't really open to cutting the number of vehicle lanes; which should really surprise no one.

In fairness, that couldn't be considered in isolation anyway, but only in conjunction with removing 2 lanes from Don Mills and 2 lanes on Millwood south of of Overlea.

Otherwise you would only create a bottleneck.

Edit to add: I would be a proponent of those collective lane reductions.

Don't forget that Holyday is somehow also a deputy mayor. Those two are among the worst in an already very bad crop of councillors, and they've both coincidentally been elevated to positions of power. It's amazing that we've managed to build any pedestrian or cycling infrastructure with a mayor who wants those two in his inner circle.

Don't forget that Holyday is somehow also a deputy mayor. Those two are among the worst in an already very bad crop of councillors, and they've both coincidentally been elevated to positions of power. It's amazing that we've managed to build any pedestrian or cycling infrastructure with a mayor who wants those two in his inner circle.

I was just about to say -- it looks really badly on Tory that two of his Deputy Mayors are the two biggest pieces of shit on Council. I wish he took more flak for it.

Last edited:
He won by a roughly 4,000 vote margin the last time.

It'll be a tough battle to unseat him; even though it should be easy.
He's the result of first-past-the-post voting. That's why his pal, Doug Ford, banned ranked balloting in Ontario. Hiding it in his COVID-19 bill.

See link.

ahh, limiting democracy for the millionth time, what more can we ask for?😍😍😍

This is exactly the type of comment that I hope leads to him losing in the next election. A good chunk of the students that attend that high school live in his ward. They'll be voters within a year or two.

Previously, Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park were in the same ward, along with Leaside. When the city was forced to go with the federal/provincial ridings, it split the schools' catchment areas in two. All the students using that bridge everyday live in Robinson's ward, and Jaye Robinson is more beholden to wealthy Lawrence Park residents than anyone else. Meanwhile, DMW doesn't give a crap about anyone who doesn't drive. He's reached the peak of his political career, and doesn't have anything to gain by doing any real work.

I was just about to say -- it looks really badly on Tory that two of his Deputy Mayors are the two biggest pieces of shit on Council. I wish he took more flak for it.

He really should. I get that he did it as a cynical bone-throw to the suburbs to show that he would not be a downtown oriented mayor in his first term, but he didn't need to retain that facade after being re-elected to a second (and supposedly final) term, yet he kept both of them in the same positions anyway. Really disappointed he did that despite having access to loads of far better, more intelligent, and less divisive councilors.

Back