5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 13K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.3K     0 

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
The first virtual public meeting for the reconstruction of Sheppard between Leslie and Bonnington is on December 7 with a second one sometime in February and a report to Council in March. A mailout to area residents has a concept plan that doesn't appear on the project website. The design includes physically separated bike lanes with protected intersections and reduced curve radii. The cycle tracks on Willowdale are proposed to be extended to Sheppard as well.

20211129_225321.jpg

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's best bikeway/cycletrack? Sheppard? ....have a look:

1638383395297.png

Sheppard looking east towards Leslie Street

The City's Plans:

1638383450682.png

Full PDF presentation should be found here in the next few days:

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Love it! Glad to see car lanes being narrowed.

Combined with all the new development along Queensway, these improvements should make the area feel and function in a much more urban manner.

One quibble: why can't planters be adjacent to the road instead of bike lanes?

Fill out the survey!

I suggested removing the median where there is no buffer between the cycle tracks and the road, in favour of a buffer for the cycle track (s).

Where the median is narrow, I suggested buffering the north side only, as this would provide more weather shelter than on the south side; but where the median was wider, do both.

I otherwise expressed maximum support.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I give it a "like".

To get a "love", they should have included provision for a streetcar right-of-way so the 501 QUEEN could later reach Sherway Gardens. OR, a light rail right-of-way for the Lakeshore West LRT from the enlarged Union Station Loop to Sherway Gardens.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I give it a "like".

To get a "love", they should have included provision for a streetcar right-of-way so the 501 QUEEN could later reach Sherway Gardens. OR, a light rail right-of-way for the Lakeshore West LRT from the enlarged Union Station Loop to Sherway Gardens.
If they narrow the traffic lanes to meet the actual speed limit (50km/h) instead of designing wide traffic lanes for the "safety" of speeders doing 100+km/h, they would be able to widen the bicycle lanes along with segregated barriers and berms for the snow windrows.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Looks great. Not a fan of retaining the right turn slip lane at Park Lawn, nor am I still not a fan of reducing the lanes on Park Lawn.. but that's another issue entirely.

daniel_kryz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like that these projects are happening, but the landscaping and materials could be much better. At the same time, the roadway is still car-oriented. For example, there is a dedicated highway-style right turn on the Park Lawn intersection and there are pedestrian islands. This doesn't create a friendly environment for those that aren't drivers.