News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Changes/enhancements proposed for cycling along Wellington, from Blue Jays Way to Strachan:

Presentation: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...lingtonStakeholderMeetingFinalAccessibile.pdf

Highlights from the above:

1639408196941.png

1639408244600.png

1639408264567.png

1639408325572.png

1639408355841.png

1639408384290.png

1639408449132.png

1639408469934.png

1639408504851.png

1639408528438.png
1639408561298.png

1639408593726.png

1639408635254.png

1639408667259.png

Leave comments via Social Pinpoint: https://toronto.mysocialpinpoint.ca/wellington-map#/

Changes/enhancements proposed for cycling along Wellington, from Blue Jays Way to Strachan:

Presentation: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...lingtonStakeholderMeetingFinalAccessibile.pdf

Highlights from the above:

View attachment 368655

View attachment 368656
View attachment 368658

View attachment 368659

View attachment 368660

View attachment 368661

View attachment 368662

View attachment 368663

View attachment 368664

View attachment 368665View attachment 368666

View attachment 368667

View attachment 368668

View attachment 368669

Leave comments via Social Pinpoint: https://toronto.mysocialpinpoint.ca/wellington-map#/
Very happy to see this happening! This is an important connection to the railpath extension. However, it also needs to be extended east to Simcoe and beyond to the financial district.

Very happy to see this happening! This is an important connection to the railpath extension. However, it also needs to be extended east to Simcoe and beyond to the financial district.
I was just thinking that it needs to be extended to Yonge where it could jog down to some extended Esplanade lanes

Without looking into it closely, I'd expect an extension to Simcoe to be very do-able.

Wellington there isn't that high volume for cars at most times, and there are no streetcar tracks.

The latter would be a complicating issue for any extension to or beyond York Street.

I do believe the eventual plan is to connect Esplanade/Mill bike path with this one. Cannot wait, I always find myself trying to navigate across downtown through this area and it's no fun. I'd like to see them find a way to add the EV spaces somewhere else though. Hopefully this might alleviate some pressure on the MGT as well for bike commuters coming in from the west.

I do believe the eventual plan is to connect Esplanade/Mill bike path with this one. Cannot wait, I always find myself trying to navigate across downtown through this area and it's no fun. I'd like to see them find a way to add the EV spaces somewhere else though. Hopefully this might alleviate some pressure on the MGT as well for bike commuters coming in from the west.
Sorry, what is EV?

Cummer cycle track today. The narrow car lane was refreshing, but I wish the cycle path was paved with something other than asphalt:

View attachment 369457View attachment 369458View attachment 369459View attachment 369460View attachment 369461View attachment 369462
The cycling lane should be level with the sidewalk, not the roadway. Less need to speed as much as possible going downhill so they could make it up the uphill before gravity and friction slows the cyclist down.

Some exciting bike related news today in conjunction with the removal of parking minimums for new developments. Standards for bike parking in new developments to be updated, haven't had the chance to dig through the report yet. Also includes a new "payment in lieu of bike parking" fund that will go towards bike share stations and the like.

Council Item:

Background Report:
New buildings (including houses, condos, and garages) should include electric vehicle charging systems (EVCS).

Personally, I think this inferior to having the bike lane divert to further away from the street, with a zebra crossing across the bike path to a narrow loading/unloading platform. This design above is less safe and prone to congestion.

Do you have any examples of the above? I'd be interested to see how that works in practice and or/would work in practice in our examples. (Roncy is the obvious one, but we've started doing this on Christie, and I think a couple of other spots as well)

I would add, w/o judging your idea in the least, that I think its important to compare this design w/the baseline alternative, which is a bus pulling over and blocking the bike lane, or more challenging vehicle boarding/alighting for passengers from transit vehicles away from the curb, w/passengers stepping down into the curb/bike lane.

It's the standard approach in the Netherlands.

An example from central Amsterdam:
View attachment 357355

Sometimes the shelter/signage is also on the other side of the bike path with the small unloading/loading platform being even narrower.

Interesting, thanks for that.

Can say, that won't be approved here in that form, it would be considered non-compliant with our accessibility rules. That certainly don't look to be 2.1M unencumbered, which is the requirement.

I'd add as well though, that design provides net to no shelter for transit users.

Non-starter here.

On a wide enough road (University/Avenue, the big suburban arterials) we could certainly do something like this, but with adequately large platform areas, if transit is curbside.

But this won't happen on narrower streets in the old city.

Don't mean to revive a months-old conversation from the dead, but something out of Waterloo Region that caught my eye:

Shared cycle track stop with cyclist riding in bike lane behind person waiting at stop marker

Diagram of cycle track stop showing where transit riders board and where bicycles stop.

Looks like the first such implementation of this type of infrastructure in Ontario - looks like a safer method of handling transit rider-cyclist interactions and I hope to see it come to Toronto in the future.

I think they have something similar on the reconstructed Speers Road in West Oakville. The bike lanes are physically seperated from vehicular traffic and then rise and fall as they pass through a bus stop area, sharing the same ’platform’ height as the bus stop. I’ll have to go and have another look. Have yet to see a cyclist on Speers so not sure there is feedback from the cycle crowd yet.

Back