News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Was the concern parking spaces or traffic volume?

In so far as it was the former; I'd wager a single off-street, Green P garage would make a lot of people who might drive to such an event much happier than trying to parallel park on Danforth.

As it so happens..........that's coming....... or at least its under serious consideration.

For those concerned, its not about significant net new parking.

Its about current Green P surface lots going away; and putting spaces under a new development.

Yes, those parking lots are definitely endangered species with the strip ripe for housing. I recall a few squabbles 10-20 years ago between residents and restaurant owners about converting some of the less developed parks (pretty much turf) to parking lots.

The Greektown BIA is definitely the most small-c conservative of the Danforth BIAs. Broadview-Danforth to the west, and Danforth Mosaic and Danforth Village BIAs to the east have all been big supporters of the lanes. Ironically, the busiest sidewalk patios during Destination Danforth have been in the Greektown BIA, but according to a friend who used to own a shop on the strip, the local restaurateurs are a stubborn bunch who won't be content until there are giant parking garages at each subway stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love streetcars and when I lived downtown, I took them regularly as did many of the residents of my condo building (convenient stop near the front door). I am neither desperate, poor, or young. Getting old though!

As @ADRM has noted above that is simply too extreme a statement.

It is fair to say that cycling rates decline in the worst of winter. That is true. I think you could even say decline substantially.

But it certainly doesn't go to zero or anywhere close.

The steepest decline also tends to be when snow/slush/ice are big concerns and is less about temperature; as such that tends to be for ~4 months each year in Toronto, from December-March, not '1/2 the year'.

Even if it were plausible to 'repurpose' bike lanes/cycle tracks during that 4 months, its unlikely it would be worth the cost/hassle; and the locations where one might consider such a thing would only be those routes where cycling isn't that high to begin with, and where the yield/benefit to motorists/transit was particularly high.

Downtown Bloor is not such a place.
Not a single bike passed us, and we were driving on Bloor for a solid 10 minutes.

Not a single bike passed us, and we were driving on Bloor for a solid 10 minutes.
Normally when I'm driving bikes pass me, rather than me passing bikes.

Most of us are on Bloor frequently. We see (and dodge) bikes all the time, even in the most dire of weather. So saying there are none, is not going to get much mileage.

Last edited:
I love streetcars and when I lived downtown, I took them regularly as did many of the residents of my condo building (convenient stop near the front door). I am neither desperate, poor, or young. Getting old though!
My earlier note aside I like streetcars too, provided they have a dedicated ROW. Otherwise I can likely walk faster. Though buses I can’t stand. The racket, the rattling windows, swerving and jarring from rapid braking and acceleration. But mostly it’s the noise.

My earlier note aside I like streetcars too, provided they have a dedicated ROW. Otherwise I can likely walk faster.
You can walk faster than the 506 from Parliament to Broadview? You must walk faster than me! I'm challenged to jog faster than a 506 I know I can't catch from the SE corner of Parliament/Gerrard to Sackville! I think I've made it once. Haven't even bothered to keep going to Sumach!

You can walk faster than the 506 from Parliament to Broadview? You must walk faster than me! I'm challenged to jog faster than a 506 I know I can't catch from the SE corner of Parliament/Gerrard to Sackville! I think I've made it once. Haven't even bothered to keep going to Sumach!
You will be able to see the single occupants inside the motor vehicles. The single-occupant motor vehicles are the main cause of traffic congestion.

Remedy:
  • Ban single-occupant non-delivery motor vehicles from the downtown. Only allowing delivery vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, and transit vehicles.
  • Create private right-of-ways for the streetcars (and buses) in the centre lanes. Deliveries use the lane ways or side streets.

Last edited:
When you really need an automobile, no a hybid, no a big SUV, and you don't have one...

I don’t agree with anything in that video. I relied on car sharing for a year during the pandemic while my dad used my car and it was useless most of the time. Cars were unavailable whenever I needed them, the parking restrictions meant having to take transit to get to a car, or to get home after parking, and some of the cars smelled terrible!

Renting > car sharing despite what the video says - at least at this moment.

I have since taken my car back and changed my mind about selling it once my dad purchased a new one for himself. Carshare just didn’t work out for me.

Normally when I'm driving bikes pass me, rather than me passing bikes.

Most of use are on Bloor frequently. We see (and dodge) bikes all the time, even in the most dire of weather. So saying there are none, is not going to get much mileage.
If you're normally getting passed by cyclists going 20-25 km/h, you must be mainly driving during peak periods on the most congested corridors. It's very rare that cycling is the faster option when I choose to drive. While I'm not frequently on Bloor during peak hours, the traffic has certainly been impacted by the new cycle lanes, so you might get passed by cyclists there during the worst times.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're taking the 506 Carlton on Sunday mornings when it's not dealing with any delay. There are definitely times my walks outpace the streetcars in mixed traffic, particularly along Dundas, Queen, etc.

Anyway, the mode that works best for us is largely dependent on the conditions and the timing of our trips. People driving into the financial district on weekday mornings? Bleh. Someone driving into the city for Sunday brunch? Not unreasonable to me.

If you're normally getting passed by cyclists going 20-25 km/h, you must be mainly driving during peak periods on the most congested corridors. It's very rare that cycling is the faster option when I choose to drive. While I'm not frequently on Bloor during peak hours, the traffic has certainly been impacted by the new cycle lanes, so you might get passed by cyclists there during the worst times.

In the area bounded by say Bloor, Bathurst, Sherbourne and the lake, biking is almost always faster than driving, especially when you count the time spent looking for parking and walking to your final destination.

Back