News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Update from the suburban wasteland of York Region!
Cycle tracks on Yonge north of Elgin Mills finally open. Crazy how long they took to open it, the cycle tracks were complete save for paint last year, green paint was done like a month or two ago, and white paint was finished several weeks ago, but they put pylons and cones at every driveway and intersection to prevent anyone from using the cycle tracks even though they were basically complete. The bus lanes were open months ago. Anyways, nice to see this finally open.

Pictures taken today:

79D43BD8-9CF0-426C-BF39-FD6C332B72CB.jpeg
DB731092-B9D5-4EC7-B89D-9E8A3FAE7D3A.jpeg

Here's another pic from about a month ago before they finished the white paint (but after they finished green paint). Also shows the pylons.
49FD8092-8583-4660-B6D8-F42E26B3FC9B.jpeg

And there are still a *lot* of problems with these cycle tracks, so here's a rant:

They're better than before (i.e. nothing) but still very unsafe and most people would probably still use the sidewalk. The cycle tracks go back to street level at intersections, and when there is a right turn lane (there's still a few along this section of Yonge) the cycle track just disappears and turns into a bike lane to the left of the right turn lane, which is terrifying for basically everybody for obvious reasons. They're also way too close to 70km/h speeding cars for comfort - they should have absolutely swapped places with the trees. There's also a small vertical curb between the cycle track and the trees/sidewalk, which is small enough for you to not pay attention to but just large enough to cause you to fall over/lose balance on your bike if you accidentally hit it at a shallow angle. It also makes it annoying to go back onto the sidewalk when you get to one of those horrifying right turn lane sections. It's also still incredibly terrifying to cross Yonge or turn left on minor roads, since bike lanes usually end just before the intersection and you are left mixing with impatient drivers. There are also no left turn box things to turn left from a road onto Yonge (not that that is the best solution, but I guess protected intersections are too much to ask for...). All of these things, especially the horrible treatment with right turn lanes, pretty much negates any benefit of these cycle tracks, which is why I say most people will still stick with the sidewalk, but I guess it's better than a painted line.

They're also way too close to 70km/h speeding cars for comfort - they should have absolutely swapped places with the trees.
It's much safer for cars going 90 in the 70 zone to use cyclists as rumblestrip than to have trees in the clear zone.

I'm honestly not sure if that's a joke or actually how engineers approach this.

I don't understand the fascination with raising the cycle lane above the roadway, while creating zero lateral separation from 2 tonne cars driving 90 kph.

Update from the suburban wasteland of York Region!
Cycle tracks on Yonge north of Elgin Mills finally open. Crazy how long they took to open it, the cycle tracks were complete save for paint last year, green paint was done like a month or two ago, and white paint was finished several weeks ago, but they put pylons and cones at every driveway and intersection to prevent anyone from using the cycle tracks even though they were basically complete. The bus lanes were open months ago. Anyways, nice to see this finally open.

Pictures taken today:

View attachment 330504View attachment 330505

Here's another pic from about a month ago before they finished the white paint (but after they finished green paint). Also shows the pylons.
View attachment 330518

And there are still a *lot* of problems with these cycle tracks, so here's a rant:

They're better than before (i.e. nothing) but still very unsafe and most people would probably still use the sidewalk. The cycle tracks go back to street level at intersections, and when there is a right turn lane (there's still a few along this section of Yonge) the cycle track just disappears and turns into a bike lane to the left of the right turn lane, which is terrifying for basically everybody for obvious reasons. They're also way too close to 70km/h speeding cars for comfort - they should have absolutely swapped places with the trees. There's also a small vertical curb between the cycle track and the trees/sidewalk, which is small enough for you to not pay attention to but just large enough to cause you to fall over/lose balance on your bike if you accidentally hit it at a shallow angle. It also makes it annoying to go back onto the sidewalk when you get to one of those horrifying right turn lane sections. It's also still incredibly terrifying to cross Yonge or turn left on minor roads, since bike lanes usually end just before the intersection and you are left mixing with impatient drivers. There are also no left turn box things to turn left from a road onto Yonge (not that that is the best solution, but I guess protected intersections are too much to ask for...). All of these things, especially the horrible treatment with right turn lanes, pretty much negates any benefit of these cycle tracks, which is why I say most people will still stick with the sidewalk, but I guess it's better than a painted line.
The cycle tracks on Yonge in Newmarket have the same bad design, and it's painfully obvious that the forced conflict at right turn lanes is going to turn off would be users. The proposed design on Port Union is even worse. Intersections are where cyclists need protection the most but where they get it the least.

Best practices for cycling infrastructure aren't that complicated. It's amazing how designers keep getting it so wrong.

Speaking of horrifying bike lane design, the one going past the 400 on ramps near Georgian College are atrocious.

And for people like me who like pretty pictures: from the link above:

Attachment 1 - Proposed Cycling Detour Route - Phase 1
View attachment 330346

Attachment 2 - Proposed Cycling Detour Route - Phase 2
View attachment 330347
The diversion seems quite acceptable BUT I strongly suggest that the cycle track they propose on Commissioners Street should continue from Carlaw to Leslie where it would join the Martin Goodman trail on that street. This would allow cyclists to avoid crossing Lake Shore Blvd twice (at Carlaw and again at Leslie) and would be FAR safer.

The diversion seems quite acceptable BUT I strongly suggest that the cycle track they propose on Commissioners Street should continue from Carlaw to Leslie where it would join the Martin Goodman trail on that street. This would allow cyclists to avoid crossing Lake Shore Blvd twice (at Carlaw and again at Leslie) and would be FAR safer.
That does seem really inconvenient; I assume most cyclists will continue along Commissioners regardless.

Does this mean they're finally doing something about that awful four-stage crossing over Lakeshore E and Cherry?

That does seem really inconvenient; I assume most cyclists will continue along Commissioners regardless.

Does this mean they're finally doing something about that awful four-stage crossing over Lakeshore E and Cherry?
If I read it right, cyclists will be on the road so will come down Cherry and keep going to Villiers. You are right,, the Cherry/Lake Shore area is not good.

Those of us who use the bike track (Martin Goodman Trail) on Leslie Street will recognise this:
bike-leslie.jpg

I reported it to 311 (with this photo) and suggested the trail needs to be re-graded. Here is their response!

We have generated a service request to Transportation Services for road; damaged, and this will be investigated and made safe. Road repair will be completed within four years.
Your reference number is 7055811 and is required in order to check the status, make changes or cancel the request. You can also check the status of your service request online at http://www.toronto.ca/311
We hope this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you require further information or assistance.

FOUR YEARS!!

EDIT: I have sent this email thread to Councillor Fletcher as this is in her Ward.

Last edited:
Those of us who use the bike track (Martin Goodman Trail) on Leslie Street will recognise this:
View attachment 330848

I reported it to 311 (with this photo) and suggested the trail needs to be re-graded. Here is their response!

We have generated a service request to Transportation Services for road; damaged, and this will be investigated and made safe. Road repair will be completed within four years.
Your reference number is 7055811 and is required in order to check the status, make changes or cancel the request. You can also check the status of your service request online at http://www.toronto.ca/311
We hope this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you require further information or assistance.

FOUR YEARS!!
The best time to request road work is four years ago. The second best time is now!

FOUR YEARS!!

lol yup that's road services for you. I emailed 311 about fixing a sunken catch basin on a major road and their response was the same four years crap.

lol yup that's road services for you. I emailed 311 about fixing a sunken catch basin on a major road and their response was the same four years crap.
But to fix it means spending money, and the city can't do that. Especially if involves cycling, which is a waste of money for some of the suburban councilors.

But to fix it means spending money, and the city can't do that. Especially if involves cycling, which is a waste of money for some of the suburban councilors.
Funnily the basin was on the road where it affected drivers more lol

Much welcomed addition, though they need to fix some sewer gates that are smack in the middle of the Yonge bike lanes, and a solid inch and a half sunk into the ground. That is a hazard if you're not paying attention.

Back