8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ganjavih

Member Bio
Reaction score
Was Scarborough this bad in the early 80s?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3321720/Dwaynes-world.html

The Canadian hails from Scarborough - a crime-ridden area of greater Toronto known as the 'gang-infested wild, wild east'.

And he admitted his upbringing was as tough as they come with drugs, gangs and violence everywhere he turned.

De Rosario, on trial with Celtic this week with the hope of winning a permanent move from Toronto FC, said: "Scarborough is like every other poor community. It can either make you or break you - and there are more ways to break you than make you.

"I didn't stick around to see if people were dead when they were shot, but I've been at places where suddenly there's stuff being shot up and you're diving over pool tables. That's as scary a situation as you can imagine."

De Rosario, whose parents moved from Guyana to Canada in the '70s, insists he refused to follow a path of crime.

He said: "I had my own moments of trouble-making but I grew up with a conscience and I followed it.

"When I did bad things, I was punished and I learned from my punishments.

"How I grew up taught me nothing is ever going to come easy. And when you grow up with not a lot, when you finally get something, you want more."

DeRo insists he isn't kidding when he describes how deprived his hometown is - and reckons the infamous South Central LA is paradise in comparison.

He said: "I would have traded that for where I grew up. People have houses with front and back yards. There's no projects with people stacked on top of one another.

"You haven't got tap water coming out grey or people setting off fire alarms and elevators not working."

De Rosario's two older brothers kept him in check as well as his great aunt after his parents separated.

But it was really his love of football which kept him away from a life of crime.

He added: "We needed an income in our family so I became the breadwinner.

"I gave up a lot of my teenage years, the so-called fun years of my life for soccer so I decided I couldn't just waste all that. I gave up so much."

De Rosario, who has 55 caps for his country, signed for Toronto Lynx at the age of 18. But he lasted just half a season in the Canadian A league as he switched to German side FSV Zwickau where he spent two seasons.

He headed back to North America in 1999 and signed for Richmond Kickers - where his career took off.

San Jose Earthquakes signed him in 2001 and he helped them win the MLS Cup by scoring a golden goal in the final against LA Galaxy.

He again helped Quakes to the cup in 2003 as well as the Western Conference title before a trial with Nottingham Forest the following year.

He landed the MLS goal of the season award for 2004 and 2005 then moved to Houston Dynamo in 2006 and scored the only goal for the MLS All Stars in a 1-0 win over Chelsea.

He won the MLS Cup twice more with Houston as well as two more Western Conference titles before moving to Toronto in late 2008.

And there is no doubt he lives for football.

De Rosario, who also turned down a chance to train with Blackburn, said: "I have always admired clubs like Manchester United and Real Madrid while my past and present heroes are Pele, George Best, Maradona, Zidane, Patrick Vieira and Raul.

"My dad told me football was all about flair and rhythm. And that's how I like it - but I appreciate it is also about hard work."

De Rosario has made sure he has looked after wife Brandy and their three kids, Asha, Osaze and Adisa.

DeRo, who will be right at home in Scotland as he claims no one eats more porridge than he does, has also invested wisely over the years.

He added: "I grew up in an environment where we didn't have money to save. We just didn't know what savings were all about.

"I started to learn about all these different areas of investment and thought it was a whole new world.

"Careers go so fast, I want to be able to enjoy my hard work by having some money put aside to support my family, or do whatever it is that I desire.

"I try to share tips with some of the young guys and ask them if they've considered investing.

"If you're not going to be making a significant amount, it's important that you understand how you're investing your money.

"I'm not a big risk taker. On the field I am and it works for me sometimes, but I would say I'm more of a conservative investor."

And once he retires from the game, De Rosario is hoping to put all his efforts into helping charities and under privileged kids.

The 32-year-old player hopes to help the United Nations anti-malarial programme 'Spread the Net' and he already owns DeRo Entertainment which helps talented artists from poorer areas become professionals.

He said: "When I do retire, I can put more effort and time into DeRo Entertainment and create environments where people, who at a young age aspire to be musicians or artists, can develop.

"Then, hopefully, they can have a successful career like I've had."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3321720/Dwaynes-world.html#ixzz1AMqWXiDL

DeRo insists he isn't kidding when he describes how deprived his hometown is - and reckons the infamous South Central LA is paradise in comparison.

He said: "I would have traded that for where I grew up. People have houses with front and back yards. There's no projects with people stacked on top of one another.

There are "projects" in Scarborough? There are no houses in Scarborough with front and back yards? Compton is a paradise is comparison? Is this guy for real? He just trying to make himself look hard to ignorant Scots.

"You haven't got tap water coming out grey or people setting off fire alarms and elevators not working."

I had the exact same experiences growing in my co-op building in Mississauga. But you don't see me wishing I grew up in Southcentral LA. What a jackass and a coward. It's a good thing he doesn't live in this country anymore. Good riddance I say, I hope he stays out.

Sounds like this guy saw a gang movie and got it mixed up with memories of childhood.

What a fantasy this dude describes. Sounds like he's desperately trying to confer some street cred' on himself.

Geez, maybe he's going, chicken walk and all. Did he have anything positive to say at all about Toronto ? The guy actually seemed thrilled to be ending his carreer in Toronto when he signed. Who are you ,l De Ro ?

Geez, maybe he's going, chicken walk and all. Did he have anything positive to say at all about Toronto ? The guy actually seemed thrilled to be ending his carreer in Toronto when he signed. Who are you ,l De Ro ?
He probably feels betrayed by TFC/MLSE. I think he was promised things that never materialized.

haah.. what a noob...

He's obviously neverbeen to any U.S. projects.

Scarborough in the 70's and 80's LOL!!

I don't think you could find a safer 'project' in North america than those in the GTA/

The Scots will eat it up!

He probably feels betrayed by TFC/MLSE. I think he was promised things that never materialized.

Well, he would have tons of company certainly in feeling betrayed by the MLSE money machine. Still, that doesn't explain the reported smear job.

DeRo denied saying all of that about Scarborough. The British media loves to exaggerate this sort of thing to influence the public (i.e., Celtic's fan's) perception of players.

I grew up and lived in Scarborough until the early 80's in a post-war subdivision, it's nothing like that. I had friends in the "bad areas" as they were known back then, Vic. Park & Eglinton, Kingston Road & Lawrence etc... they were fine and I never felt unsafe. It's all crap.
To those who grew up in the west end, it's pretty much the same as growing up in the east end, less an airport.

It's unfortunate to see such outrageous things said about Scarborough. I hope these claims are exposed for the pathetic slander that they are.

Also, disrespect of Scarborough is also seen in this Google map, where Albert Campbell Square isn't labelled and Scarborough Civic Centre, their former city hall and still central public building, is labelled as "Walmart Tire & Lube Express". I clicked the "report a problem" button on the lower right hand side a few months ago, but they never fixed this egregious issue.

Forget Scarborough......if he really wants to be more scared than South Cental, perhaps someone will take him to Nitshill or Govan Cross for a night out!

One of my mother's friends lived in an Ontario Housing complex, in Scarborough, and when we'd go to visit, it didn't seem bad at all. I think this guy is so full of shit.

I don't doubt that there are some serious problems in Scarborough, but I doubt that not being able to play a game of pool without getting shot at is one of them.

Wow. Just wow. I grew up in Scarborough. My parents still live there as does my brother. Our business is at Morningside/Sheppard and I just came back from having lunch at Lick's at Morningside and Kingston. I have never seen a drive-by shooting or have had to duck to avoid being shot or anything like that. I have had friends from all backgrounds and some that lived in public housing. Nothing even compares to the description above. Talk about slamming your home town.

Back