News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
In a report to the Toronto Public Library Board at the upcoming Meeting on June 22nd it is recommended, subject to certain conditions to transfer the branch to CreateTO for the purposes of a proposed
agreement with a developer.

TPL's conditions include a replacement branch of at least 20,000sq feet, preferably all on one floor. The report envisions the likely outcome being a new branch on the current site, underneath any new development.

This would be an enlargement of at least 24%

No specifics on the proposed development just yet.

But I am under the impression that the 20,000sq ft on one floor has been deemed feasible which would imply an assembly; but that is my surmise for which I do not have evidence at this time.

Report here:

Site here:

1592259542850.png

The Branch is the building with the bright white roof at the North-East corner of Alvin and St. Clair Ave. East

I hope they preserve at least the restrained but handsome early 1950s facade of the library. Hopefully, the situation won't be like Davisville Public School, where the city seemed to sidestep the heritage issues just because the school board wanted to redevelop the land without preserving the school (in what seemed like a conflict of interest on the heritage front).

News of this first surfaced back around 2009, where the TPL began working with Build Toronto for future redevelopment potential. Maintaining a space that functions as a library is definitely critical. Especially as publicly accessible community space at Yonge & St. Clair is scarce, and also to serve to increasing population base with large scale developments on the horizon like Wittington's St. Clair Place masterplan, One Delisle, and the Great Gulf project.

I hope they preserve at least the restrained but handsome early 1950s facade of the library. Hopefully, the situation won't be like Davisville Public School, where the city seemed to sidestep the heritage issues just because the school board wanted to redevelop the land without preserving the school (in what seemed like a conflict of interest on the heritage front).

Definitely agree that parts of the facade could be kept, as a decently trim instance of late transitional Streamline Moderne, before the domination of the International Style. Very much in line with the style of the original Yonge Line subway stations- conservative modernity, influenced by the UK.

pictures-r-4710.jpg

That being said, the interior isn't much to talk about (even in its original state), and could easily go.

Last edited:
Deer Park Library to be redeveloped

Nov 23, 2020

Toronto City Council, Executive Committee voted in favour of moving forward with consultations into redeveloping Deer Park Library.

According to a report from CreateTO, the property was originally identified for proposed redevelopment back in 2009, but “the continuing interest for retaining a library on the site has posed significant challenges, which have limited the ability to intensify the site.”

The action supported by the Toronto Public Library Board enables the board to enter into negotiations with CreateTO and a developer to discuss a potential turnover agreement for the property at 40 St. Clair Ave. E.

If approved by city council, the agreement for consultation requires development proposals to find a suitable replacement facility and new service delivery model for the library. It also requires the proposed resolution of any financial and operational issues arising from the redevelopment, including the cost of relocating library staff. Lastly, the agreement is subject to ongoing consultation and communication with the community, councillor and other local stakeholders.

According to a project proposal from CreateTO, the plan includes the possibility of moving the current library around the corner to 1485 Yonge St.

-------
CreateTO was also unable to answer what the cost of the proposed project would be but said “a financial evaluation is currently being undertaken,” and the, “goal of the project is to deliver a new, modern and expanded library branch that has a strong community presence and is integrated into a transit-oriented development at no cost to the Toronto Public Library.”

The action passed the executive vote on Nov. 18 and will be considered by city council on Nov. 25.

Definitely agree that parts of the facade could be kept, as a decently trim instance of late transitional Streamline Moderne, before the domination of the International Style. Very much in line with the style of the original Yonge Line subway stations- conservative modernity, influenced by the UK.

pictures-r-4710.jpg

That being said, the interior isn't much to talk about (even in its original state), and could easily go.
I'm coming to this discussion a bit late but wanted to add that the sculpture should be retained. It was originally going to be placed on George Locke library bldg. For background see my book Faces on Places: A Grotesque Tour of Toronto (Anansi, 2006).

Back