Probably too long a shot to get one's hopes up for but please, oh please let this mean that Kirkor is fired and a real architect is brought on board.

Probably too long a shot to get one's hopes up for but please, oh please let this mean that Kirkor is fired and a real architect is brought on board.

No way will that happen, unfortunately.

Why can't heritage buildings be left entirely in tact in this city? It seems that every single low rise heritage building will inevitably be incorporated into a condo/office proposal.

Really hope plans go through to keep this structure. I don't understand why developers are so brash to tear down original structures. It keeps the condominium more animated at the base in my opinion rather than just glass and windows.

I was at the community council meeting this morning where this was discussed. Unfortunately, they voted not only to merely "receive" (i.e. ignore) the heritage report, it seems they didn't even go along with the staff recommendation for a facadectomy. Instead, they're apparently going to preserve "some terra cotta panels." It was a pretty disappointing meeting all around. Before she was selected councillor, Ceta Ramkhalawansingh was saying that the College Street residence project a few doors down would destroy the neighbourhood's heritage. In the meeting, however, she didn't say much of anything about heritage or its effect on the neighbourhood. She even questioned one speaker who complained about height, saying that there were other tall buildings in the area. The whole discussion didn't last very long as it appears they had already worked out a deal. A bit of a surprising performance from the new councillor.

I was at the community council meeting this morning where this was discussed. Unfortunately, they voted not only to merely "receive" (i.e. ignore) the heritage report, it seems they didn't even go along with the staff recommendation for a facadectomy. Instead, they're apparently going to preserve "some terra cotta panels." It was a pretty disappointing meeting all around. Before she was selected councillor, Ceta Ramkhalawansingh was saying that the College Street residence project a few doors down would destroy the neighbourhood's heritage. In the meeting, however, she didn't say much of anything about heritage or its effect on the neighbourhood. She even questioned one speaker who complained about height, saying that there were other tall buildings in the area. The whole discussion didn't last very long as it appears they had already worked out a deal. A bit of a surprising performance from the new councillor.

Thank you for the update, U. In retrospect, it is clear that city staff wanted one thing, politics wanted another. I naively thought that the staff report write up was the result of some new work brewing along with the new Councillor. Nope.

There's a good chance that this has to do with what the City believes the developer could get were they to go to the OMB. This is several floors shorter than what Knightstone got from the OMB for their student residence just down the block. Maybe Ceta is holding her nose while voting.

I wonder why they chose to ignore the heritage recomendations.

Is there anything that can be done regarding heritage protection?

I wonder why they chose to ignore the heritage recomendations.

Is there anything that can be done regarding heritage protection?

Sure, write to Councillor Ramkhalawansingh saying that this deal, not even saving a full facade, isn't acceptable.

This is disgusting. I was admiring this building today and wondered what ever happened to this proposal, and reading these posts is really depressing. Have we learned nothing as a city? How is this still being allowed to happen without a fight? And why is the developer so audacious and obnoxious as to not even propose a façadomy?

I guess I’ll start writing to Ms Ramkhalawansingh.

Done. Here’s my response, in case anyone else will be following suit and would like ideas:

Dear Councillor Ramkhalawansingh,

I was very disturbed to hear that the proposal to tear down the beautiful historic structure at the south-east corner of College & Huron is in the process of being accepted by the City without so much as a stipulation that its facades are retained.

Gorgeous old architecture such as this is so rare in this city, and so much of our architectural past has been destroyed already by past Torontonians’ indifference that it would be a tragedy to lose such a gem. This is the kind of structure that makes me proud to be Torontonian. It tells so many stories in its decorative flourishes and is a monument to a time way before I was born.

Unlike most people, I’m not against something tall being built here (or anywhere); I love tall buildings, but I also know how important it is for old buildings to remain part of our urban landscape.

I dearly hope that you will do your best to maintain as much of this building as possible.

I got a response from Ramkhalawansingh’s Executive Assistant:

Thank you for your e-mail and your keen eye for heritage.

Councillor Ramkhalawansingh noticed the facades, as well, and asked for the following to be included in the motion:

"Before introducing the necessary Bills to City Council for enactment, City Council require the owner to incorporate elements of the north and west façades, as much as possible, of the existing building at 231-237 College Street into the design of the development, to the satisfaction of the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning."

If you are interested, you can read the entire document here.

We also met with Planning about it and discussed the desire to maintain as much as possible.

I hope this helps,

Back