artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Slate Asset Management and Choice Properties REIT are proposing to redevelop Dixie Outlet Mall (at 1250 South Service Road in Mississauga)!

Taken from the promotional website: "The Plan Dixie Project Team will work closely with the City and community to bring to life a new vision for the property at Dixie Outlet Mall. The plan will have a mix of uses, including enhanced green space, improved access for bikes and walking, new shops and restaurants, housing options, and will bring vibrancy and architectural elegance to the area. From the first community engagement session, Open House #1, key themes were chosen that have helped drive the planning process. Feedback from Open House #2 and Open House #3, hosted online in 2020, will continue to support the evolution of the design over the coming months."

More information can be found here: https://plandixie.ca/

A draft site plan in video format:

Here are some pictures are shown below:

PlanDixie_1280x720Site-Context-Board.jpg

Certainly lots of opportunity there.

I would like to see the on-site creek, currently in a straight, narrow, hardened channel see some restoration.

A bit of meander, softened, naturalized banks, a bare minimum of 30M of natural/green space on either side of it; maybe daylight some of the now buried* section further north.

* I haven't confirmed there is any buried section, but flow volumes are suggestive of same.

I would also like to see a bare minimum of one E-W street punched all the way through this site, and adjacent lands at least to Haig; with a notional plan that would see it extended all the way to Cawthra.

A finer urban grid here is crucial to walkability and future transit services.

Making the area more pedestrian friendly is great but this includes preserving indoor space and heated bus stops etc for the brutal winter.

I'm pretty sure they'll want to build condos at 20 storeys or higher to compensate for all of those perks this development will offer !

I think going highrise is not really suitable here given the surroundings. Missing middle actually makes more sense here.

I think they will most likely go highrise here, since it looks like they plan on 6,400 units for 12,000-15,000 people, so this will be dense. I don't see them going any other way but vertical since this a lot of units. Either way, yet another mall planning on intensifying is a good thing. From the video, it looks like there will be plenty of green space too which will be nice for the area.

I think they will most likely go highrise here, since it looks like they plan on 6,400 units for 12,000-15,000 people, so this will be dense. I don't see them going any other way but vertical since this a lot of units. Either way, yet another mall planning on intensifying is a good thing. From the video, it looks like there will be plenty of green space too which will be nice for the area.

On greenspace, quality matters, not merely quantity! (not suggesting you disagree, just making the point)

I will come back to the need for this site, especially at that density to further additional grid connections in the area.

Making the area more pedestrian friendly is great but this includes preserving indoor space and heated bus stops etc for the brutal winter.
Don't all bus stops in many Ontario cities have heaters installed...I rather have more frequent services than heated bus stops. You are still freezing standing in a bus stop despite standing under the heater.

I'm pretty sure they'll want to build condos at 20 storeys or higher to compensate for all of those perks this development will offer !
Developers have to build higher in order to compensate the price they paid for the land and cover the cost of the overall project...

This, by definition, isn't a 'missing middle' site.
My thought exactly! Plan Dixie is a master-planned community in an underutilized mall in Mississauga!

Don't all bus stops in many Ontario cities have heaters installed...I rather have more frequent services than heated bus stops. You are still freezing standing in a bus stop despite standing under the heater.

Most bus stops in Ontario do not have any heaters.

Until this past year, the TTC had none.

Mississauga is only beginning to install them.

While I agree frequent service is a greater priority; in the context of this development, heating shelters at 2 nearby stops (one in each direction) is a nothing-cost.

While I agree frequent service is a greater priority; in the context of this development, heating shelters at 2 nearby stops (one in each direction) is a nothing-cost.
Wow didn't know the heater in the bus stop still cost a fortune...hey Slate/Choice isn't paying my two cents. I guess the citizen of Mississauga is paying.

If I was living there, I rather prioritize frequent service than some fancy heater in bus stops. My opinion but good to find supporters who can agree with this request.

Wow didn't know the heater in the bus stop still cost a fortune...hey Slate/Choice isn't paying my two cents. I guess the citizen of Mississauga is paying.

If I was living there, I rather prioritize frequent service than some fancy heater in bus stops. My opinion but good to find supporters who can agree with this request.

The cost, based on the City of Toronto's contract with Astral is around $19,000 per shelter.

As per this report: https://www.cp24.com/news/city-staff-proposing-heaters-for-some-bus-shelters-1.4354060

Mississauga is putting 88 heated shelters w/Infrastructure funds in the next year or so.

Their cost seems to be about $18,000 per shelter (includes the full cost of the shelter, w/doors, lights etc.)

As the following:

The opening salvo of the article:

Mississauga’s Dixie Outlet Mall has been attracting droves of discount seekers since the 1980s. But like some of its bargain merchandise, the plaza itself has faded in appearance.​
Now there is a plan to transform the 45-acre mall into a new, sustainable, mixed-use community of more than 6,000 homes, parks, roads and retail. But residents fear the redevelopment at Dixie Road, south of the QEW, is no bargain for the city and the neighbourhood.​
The lack of transportation connections — transit and roads — the likelihood of reduced employment and the density being proposed are at odds with the single-family home surroundings and existing infrastructure, say community groups and neighbours.​
City officials have similar questions about transit, road capacity and jobs, as well as how a neighbourhood of more than 10,000 people would be served by schools and medical facilities.​

The opening salvo of the article:

Mississauga’s Dixie Outlet Mall has been attracting droves of discount seekers since the 1980s. But like some of its bargain merchandise, the plaza itself has faded in appearance.​
Now there is a plan to transform the 45-acre mall into a new, sustainable, mixed-use community of more than 6,000 homes, parks, roads and retail. But residents fear the redevelopment at Dixie Road, south of the QEW, is no bargain for the city and the neighbourhood.​
The lack of transportation connections — transit and roads — the likelihood of reduced employment and the density being proposed are at odds with the single-family home surroundings and existing infrastructure, say community groups and neighbours.​
City officials have similar questions about transit, road capacity and jobs, as well as how a neighbourhood of more than 10,000 people would be served by schools and medical facilities.​

I noted above that I believe a new E-W grid street is required here.

I'm certainly pro-development and intensification here; but that does require certain infrastructure.

I see no reason said infrastructure shouldn't be provided; and, in fact, it would arguably open up more adjacent lands to intensification.

At a quick glance, I couldn't find the capacity utilization rates for nearby schools; but as there is no junior elementary school nearby on the same side of the QEW, that one is probably a fair question.

I suspect the nearby school on Ogden which currently houses grades 6-8 could be reconfigured given a fairly large land area to work with.......

In downtown or midtown Toronto, people are able to enter (correction, used to) the corner store at bus and streetcar stops to warm up (and maybe buy something). In the suburbs, there are vast open spaces between the stop and a store, making a quick entry difficult.

Back