In downtown or midtown Toronto, people are able to enter (correction, used to) the corner store at bus and streetcar stops to warm up (and maybe buy something). In the suburbs, there are vast open spaces between the stop and a store, making a quick entry difficult.
I mean that why retail spaces near transit are considered "Prime A" real estate! If the cities want to reduce car-dependent communities they would already have zoning preventing suburban sprawl..

I noted above that I believe a new E-W grid street is required here.

I'm certainly pro-development and intensification here; but that does require certain infrastructure.

I see no reason said infrastructure shouldn't be provided; and, in fact, it would arguably open up more adjacent lands to intensification.

At a quick glance, I couldn't find the capacity utilization rates for nearby schools; but as there is no junior elementary school nearby on the same side of the QEW, that one is probably a fair question.

I suspect the nearby school on Ogden which currently houses grades 6-8 could be reconfigured given a fairly large land area to work with.......
It's part of a master-planned community...infrastructure and pre-school or community centre take decades to plan and build! Hence multi-phase project developers wait for the government to provide the budget to allocate for those "amenities" spending. Also, you have to wait for the new population to move in and decide if a new school is appropriate or a potential new community centre.

ex. Concord Cityplace or Vancouver's River District!

Don't all bus stops in many Ontario cities have heaters installed...I rather have more frequent services than heated bus stops. You are still freezing standing in a bus stop despite standing under the heater.
Im not sure if it's feasible to make every bus stop heated, although we could start by giving every bus stop a seat. I finally gave in, and invested in an electric heated vest and insoles so Im lucky enough to have never needed to use one of these indoor heated bus stops in the past few weeks.

But I mention this because I feel like malls have a golden opportunity to expand their premises right beside bus and LRT stops so people can wait indoors.

Unfortunately, many malls like Parkway have gone backwards and got rid of connections between the grocery store and indoor mall. In Ontario, indoor connections to staple stores and transit are a huge benefit. Walking outside on icy parking lots and windswept plazas is dangerous and should be discouraged, especially with aggressive drivers and distracted pedestrians.

Last edited:

The opening salvo of the article:

Mississauga’s Dixie Outlet Mall has been attracting droves of discount seekers since the 1980s. But like some of its bargain merchandise, the plaza itself has faded in appearance.​
Now there is a plan to transform the 45-acre mall into a new, sustainable, mixed-use community of more than 6,000 homes, parks, roads and retail. But residents fear the redevelopment at Dixie Road, south of the QEW, is no bargain for the city and the neighbourhood.​
The lack of transportation connections — transit and roads — the likelihood of reduced employment and the density being proposed are at odds with the single-family home surroundings and existing infrastructure, say community groups and neighbours.​
City officials have similar questions about transit, road capacity and jobs, as well as how a neighbourhood of more than 10,000 people would be served by schools and medical facilities.​
What!?! Why isn't that man crossing his arms for the photo!?!?

Last edited:
Well, racists aside, public transit access is a legitimate issue and developers do tend to want to squeeze in way more density than is often appropriate. I think these issues need to be addressed calmly and honestly.

Hold on.................prejudice aside.....just for a second.........

1,000,000 immigrants in a single year?

What alternate timeline is this?

What's this guy on?

For the record, Canada has never exceeded immigration of 400,000 in one year.

Nor did it this past year.

The target for the year ahead is in that range..............sure as hell not 1M.

Last edited by a moderator:
As @condovo points out..........there are legitimate questions around the proposed density here.

I'm not particularly phased by the total number.

I do think its reasonable to ask how transit, traffic, and schools among other items will meet that level of development.

For the record, I think they can; and there isn't yet enough substance here to suggest otherwise.

But on a preliminary basis, there are some fair questions outstanding.

I, for one, would like to see those properly answered, such that high density intensification is supportable here.

Hold on.................prejudice aside.....just for a second.........

1,000,000 immigrants in a single year?

What alternate timeline is this?

What's this guy on?

For the record, Canada has never exceeded immigration of 400,000 in one year.

Nor did it this past year.

The target for the year ahead is in that range..............sure as hell not 1M.
It's this kind of racist nonsense that got the UK, Brexit.

...btw, what was this thread about? Something about a mall? >.<

While the NIMBY comments are amusing, this does seem like quite a dense proposal. If the site is 45 acres/18 hectares, the 6400 proposed units is 355 units per hectare. Seems like this proposal could be pushing 600-700 people + jobs per hectare, when Mississauga has a density target for downtown Mississauga of 400 ppjph. So yes, we are talking serious highrises here to achieve that, if they plan to also include the greenspace hinted at in the consultation.

Last edited:
The reason the houses in the area (and most of the GTA) are worth so much, and have probably increased in value 4x+ in the last 20 years, is because of all of the immigration to the GTA. The NIMBY sentiment.. I want to reap the benefits of the mass immigration (in the form of my property going up in value 4x+), but not near where I live!!

I'm all for density, so take this at face value... But the strawman demonstrated above that hints at an idea that anyone who opposes a new development via community consultation must be a backward racist is... really really weak. And the quote about the importance of community consultation put above it... honestly, I think that's really disappointing and shameful.

Yes, racists are bad. Yes, we need to have more productive engagement, and that includes neighbourhood groups. Yes, we need to discuss what appropriate density levels are for different parts of our city. Yes, many neighbourhoods need to open their minds. Yes, community consultations are often brutal. But those attempts at being edgy on Twitter toss aside any sort of productive or nuanced discussion and basically play right into the polarization that people at meetings who scream and shout represent.

But the strawman demonstrated above that hints at an idea that anyone who opposes a new development via community consultation must be a backward racist is... really really weak.
I don't think that was what posters were implying. From what I could read, people were responding to this tweet from this message: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...nnone-petricone-associates.32055/post-1656492

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 09.11.51.png

There was another comment on the factually wrong "1 million immigrants per year" tweet in the same post (and Northern Light is right: this country has never hit that, even in the boom days of immigration in the early 1900s.)

Others have acknowledged the density and transit challenges here (among others), so I think the opinions here are nuanced.

Yes, I understand the context. I am suggesting that it seems like an edgy post a teenager would make as opposed to any meaningful commentary about consultation processes.
But that's Twitter - everyone seeking their gotcha moment. It is not a place for nuanced discussion. I digress.

Back