• No, not really.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Chicago
Since there's a thread about Canadian-owned coffee shops and earlier at some point I created a thread about preferring Mr. Sub vs. Subway, as well as the fact that you occasionally encounter some other threads that center around Canadian vs. American (or foreign)-owned stores such as Target (well, at least for a short time) vs. Zellers, I thought I would ask this question.

If Canadian businesses supply great products, I'll go Canadian. It benefits us all to support Canadian businesses and to keep our money cycling through our economy. But it's important that we don't support mediocre businesses out of patriotism. If Canadian businesses aren't competitive, we're left buying inferior products and end up less likely to export our products and services to other nations because of their mediocrity. Economic growth is catalyzed by exporting goods and services to other nations. To do that, your goods and services must be of desirable quality.

I have mentioned it before....but when we buy a new vehicle, we restrict our choice to car companies that make cars in Canada. The car we buy does not necessarily have to be made here....but the company has to have a manufacturing presence here. So no Nissans, BMWs, Mercedes, etc.......Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM or Chrysler get a look from us.

It is unfortunate that there are no Canadian-based car manufacturers that are not defunct. Magna doesn't count, as they are a car parts manufacturer. Bombardier doesn't count, as they don't manufacture private motor vehicles.

My interest in shopping Canadian tends to exert itself more in terms of Canadian labels rather than Canadian retail banners: wings + horns, United Stock Dry Goods, etc.

The real question is do americans tend to shop more american or european more european. I wonder if we do not support our stores the way other countries support their own. I will agree that I would not go out and pay a premium for a Blackberry today but there was a time when the apple product was 10/10 and the Blackberry was 9/10. When it is that close I am going to support the canadian product... When it is like it is today (apple 10/10 vs BB 5/10) I rethink my purchases. All that being said I am sure someone has done market research to show at some level this does matter to canadians. The McDonalds (american company) in canada has a maple leaf in it. Sears (bad example since they are bankrupt) has a maple leaf beside it. Theres got to be countless other companies as well. Why would american companies do this if it were not to sell itself off as canadian since it hels their sales?

If Canadian businesses supply great products, I'll go Canadian. It benefits us all to support Canadian businesses and to keep our money cycling through our economy. But it's important that we don't support mediocre businesses out of patriotism. If Canadian businesses aren't competitive, we're left buying inferior products and end up less likely to export our products and services to other nations because of their mediocrity. Economic growth is catalyzed by exporting goods and services to other nations. To do that, your goods and services must be of desirable quality.

Agreed. If the extent of a company's sales pitch is 'We're Canadian! Isn't that awesome?' I am going to look elsewhere.

It is unfortunate that there are no Canadian-based car manufacturers that are not defunct. Magna doesn't count, as they are a car parts manufacturer. Bombardier doesn't count, as they don't manufacture private motor vehicles.

Magna has assembled cars for other manufacturers (lower-volume models such as convertibles), but only in Europe.

The real question is do americans tend to shop more american or european more european. I wonder if we do not support our stores the way other countries support their own. I will agree that I would not go out and pay a premium for a Blackberry today but there was a time when the apple product was 10/10 and the Blackberry was 9/10. When it is that close I am going to support the canadian product... When it is like it is today (apple 10/10 vs BB 5/10) I rethink my purchases. All that being said I am sure someone has done market research to show at some level this does matter to canadians. The McDonalds (american company) in canada has a maple leaf in it. Sears (bad example since they are bankrupt) has a maple leaf beside it. Theres got to be countless other companies as well. Why would american companies do this if it were not to sell itself off as canadian since it hels their sales?

Americans often don't realize that a given brand isn't actually American or American-owned. Or if the brand is American but the product is made outside the US: GM, Ford and Chrysler don't go out of their way to tell consumers which cars are built in Canada or Mexico. There'll be a Chinese-made Buick on sale later this year - that ought to be interesting.

But it's important that we don't support mediocre businesses out of patriotism. If Canadian businesses aren't competitive, we're left buying inferior products and end up less likely to export our products and services to other nations because of their mediocrity.

Well said!
I don't think blindly supporting a non-competitive Canadian company is patriotic at all. It is detrimental to the country in the long run although it appears to be helping Canadian jobs. Want me to buy Canadian, produce something as good as those made in Germany or Japan (even China I would say).

The word Canadian has the biggest strongest effect when it comes to cheese. Unfortunately it's very negative. I have to jump through hoops to get my Dutch Gouda, British Cheddar and Greek Feta. The Canadian producers have started hiding their canada logos so it's getting harder and harder to avoid the Canadian ones.

Disclaimer: I always try a good selection of the best Ontario cheese but so far, even at double the price to the original, they're worse.

If the option is there, I do consider Canadian-owned or produced product but it doesn't factor into my decision making as much as other factors such as pricing, value, or quality.

Not much.

This is something I think about mostly when buying beer. There are tons of good local breweries so I would opt to go Canadian there or if there is Canadian whiskey I may consider it but in general, it is not something I think very much about.

Back