8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

S

spmarshall

Re: Regent Park and Don Mount

Don Mount provides an interesting glimpse into Regent Park's future, located just across the Don River. I posted some of these pics before, but got removed in the great Ezboard wipeout.

September 2004:

DonMount1.jpg

DonMount2.jpg

DonMount3.jpg

DonMount4.jpg

DonMount5.jpg

DonMount6.jpg

DonMount7.jpg

November 2004, and demolition of the north side has begun.

Album1033.jpg

Album1034.jpg

Album1036.jpg

Album1037.jpg

Album1038.jpg

One year later, November 2005. Grading is still going on.

DM1.jpg

DM2.jpg

Thanks for the update!

Don Mount got held up by the local residents' association (RARA), and the OMB ruled recently the project can proceed as planned.

GB

Could someone remind me what the built-form of the rehabilitated Don Mount is like? I recall it only very vaguely.

Also, where exactly is it located? Judging by the photos I want to say south of Queen along Eastern in the far east end, but I'm not sure.

I can't remember what the built form of the new Don Mount is supposed to look like either, so hopefully someone else will be able to answer that for you.

As per its location, it is actually located north of Queen, west of Broadview, south of Gerrard and east of the Don Valley. It doesn't take-up all of that square, but a good chunk of it.

re: Built form

Mainly a mix of private townhouses and 4s apartments.

www.torontohousing.ca/rev...ad=content

Scroll to the bottom for panels with renderings and site plan (just found out that Montgomery Sisam is responsible for the buildings...)

re: NBS

Yup, will be there to check it out as well.

GB

I noticed the sales office has been erected on the south side of Dundas just east of the DVP. I recall at one time a private developer proposed building a 20s market value condo on this site. It was payback for replacing over 300 affordable housing units for the city. The site has been cleared and ready to build. Anyone have more information on this building?
Also, a For Sale sign is up on the property accross from Don Mount Court facing the DVP south of Dundas. I thought this site was a park or part of the flood plain. Is this site zoned for residential? I thought this was the site of an old baseball field and grandstand. The mix of rent-geared-to-income housing units and new market units in an already well established neighbourhood bodes well for the future.
View the site here

Thanks AoD, that answers some of my questions.

Regarding the parcel of land on the SE corner of Dundas & DVP. I recall seeing a photo of an old baseball stadium down around this area. I might be wrong but I thought it was down here somewhere before they built the highway.

The ballpark was south of Queen .(Downtown Toyota) A lane called Baseball Place is the only reminder of the former Sunlight Field

There's a plaque on the wall of the building there. I noticed it for the first time the other night when I ran by.

The Dundas East (west of the DVP to Parliament) area in IMO one of the most exciting spots in the city, with redevelopment of Don Mount Court and Regent Park, bringing mixed income folks into the city. It make me wonder why the city thought a poor gheto would be workable.

The Regent Park area was already a ghetto. The city thought building new modern homes in a park like setting would make the area better for the poor. They were wrong.

It was leading-edge thinking at the time. Parklike, healthy settings with low-rise buildings would be a lot better than the slums they replaced. With hindsight we now see that it was wrong. Wonder which of today's developments will stand up to scrutiny 50 - 60 years down the road?

For a start, I think history will show that putting high rise rental housing in the renewed Regent Park was a mistake. You might get the density you want, but end up in the longterm with another St. Jamestown, filled with recently arrived poor but hard working immigrants, who sole goal is to get out of there and to buy a house in Brampton.

I would not draw such a conclusion so casually - the dynamic at St. Jamestown is VERY different from the plan for Regent Park. I believe the former is practically all rental nowadays, whereas in the latter it is going to be a mixed of owned and rental housing, with about 1/3 being RGI units (comparable to St. Lawrence). Second, the highrise component in Regent Park is going to be small - most buildings are going to be mid and low-rise; such a mix does not exist in St. Jamestown. Third, high rise rental housing does work so long as you don't use it as the only form constituting a neighbourhood, and designing it in the modernist planning principles of tower in the park, etc.

AoD

Back