News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
doorsopenbanner-home.gif

175 buildings of architectural, historic, cultural and/or social significance open their doors to the public. See the Buildings to visit page for our 10th Anniversary bigger and better 2009 roster! Admission is free.

Cultural Services is proud to present the annual Doors Open Toronto — one weekend, once a year — when 175 buildings of architectural, historic, cultural and social significance open their doors to the public for a city-wide celebration.

The program allows visitors free access to properties that are either not usually open to the public, or would normally charge an entrance fee. Many locations have organized guided tours, displays and activities to enrich the visitor experience.

From heritage landmarks to modern structures, hidden gems, green roofs, places of worship, halls of learning, boardrooms, bedrooms, breweries, lighthouses, mansions, museums, theatres, national historic sites, centres of rail travel, cemeteries, factories, banking halls, architects' offices and more.
Doors Open Toronto invites you to get to know the city, whether you've lived in Toronto all your life or you're visiting for the first time. See Toronto like you've never seen it before!

Ah, I love this event, even if the list of buildings downtown I haven't seen gets smaller every year.

Really excited that they're opening up the first new building in the new Regent Park - that'll be great to see.

Ah, I remember when it toured *old* Regent Park.

Cute quip on my part was when we went into the steaming hot boiler room for the complex, I suggested that all the young ruffians in Regent Park were taken down there and made into gingerbread

i'm very excited about my saturday schedule. i plan on seeing...

Artscape Wychwood Barns
TTC Greenwood Maintenance Shop
TTC Eglinton Garage/Division

visiting harvey shops last year was great and i look forward to seeing these two sites as well. gotta say, i'm loving the fact that the ttc is opening these places up to the public.

sunday i think i'll be checking out...

Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre
Canon Theatre
Osgoode Hall
Zeidler Partnership Architects Office
Mountain Equipment Co-op Green Roof

and if there's some time left, although i doubt it, either the Exhibition Place - Horse Palace - Green Roof or the John St Roundhouse.

i wanted to check out the regent park area but it's just a bit out of the way.

Two words for me: Don Jail! Anyone up for an early Saturday morning?

(and two more: Greenwood Shops)

Last edited:
Ah, I love this event, even if the list of buildings downtown I haven't seen gets smaller every year.

Really excited that they're opening up the first new building in the new Regent Park - that'll be great to see.

I really want to see Regent Park too but it's only the lobby and common areas that will be open. What I really want to see is inside the apartments. That sucks! Why allow people in the lobby but not the apartments?

Presumably there'll be a lot of display + handout bumph to compensate for that (at least in theory)

In many ways I prefer going to random open houses (real estate related) than to doors open. Not really a fan of crowds and the "tourist" thing.

Am I weird?

(I just wanna see TD tower, Don Jail maybe as well.)

the don jail is really amazing. went there yesterday to take photos for an hour and i'm glad i did. i think it'll be really crowded for doors open and won't have free reign as i did on saturday.

either way, it's a must see site since it'll be altered coming this september.

Don Jail, Greenwood Shops and Regent Park are certainly on my wish list.

I'm also looking forward to some not-so-prominent places. Scarborough Masonic Temple (Markham/Ellesmere) will not only be open, but will permit interior photography (surprising for a group that is seen as a 'secret society'). I'm also planning to go to Stantec's new offices at Wellington and Spadina. My company did the renovations, so I want to see in person what our guys did. (Now we're doing the interiors at BAC and RBC Centre... if these places ever make it to Doors Open I'll be visiting them with pride.)

I'm also planning to go to Stantec's new offices at Wellington and Spadina. My company did the renovations, so I want to see in person what our guys did. (Now we're doing the interiors at BAC and RBC Centre... if these places ever make it to Doors Open I'll be visiting them with pride.)

stantec's office is really nice. went for a visit a couple of weeks ago and it looks like a treat to work there.

There are a couple of 1930s vintage pictures in the Toronto archives taken from the upper floors of the Canada Life building. I'll be going there and take modern day pictures and post them here at UT.

Back