12K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.2K     0 

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Has anyone heard what's happening with the grocery store that was to come in the bottom of the new condo just east of Church St. on Shuter St?

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
Personally I am sad that McEwan's is closing at Yonge and Bloor. I enjoyed jumping downstairs to grab a pizza slice from their counter on my way between places. Probably wouldn't have found myself grocery shopping there if I was a local though.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone heard what's happening with the grocery store that was to come in the bottom of the new condo just east of Church St. on Shuter St?

The space has become construction offices for 88 Queen's south tower. I suspect that whoever was going into that space (I heard Longo's) pulled out or is willing to wait. The 88 North tower is occupied, as is Fleur, adding more residents to the area, with more to come (Ivy, Garden District, 88 South). There is the Metro two blocks north, but it'd be nice to have a second option around here.

Bayer

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Personally I am sad that McEwan's is closing at Yonge and Bloor. I enjoyed jumping downstairs to grab a pizza slice from their counter on my way between places. Probably wouldn't have found myself grocery shopping there if I was a local though.
That was the problem I think. Eataly opened, and the market at Manulife improved its already large selection of imported products. I had no reason whatsoever to go there.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Celebrity chef Mark McEwan’s restaurant and gourmet foods business files for creditor protection, citing cash crunch (paywalled)

"Toronto-based McEwan Enterprises Inc. was struggling even before the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in temporary closings and reduced traffic at its locations. The company has not been profitable since 2017, according to court documents." He wants to dump his Yonge & Bloor store, as well as Fabbrica in Don Mills

Update to this in today's Globe; the judge has rejected the proposed sale of most company assets to a new company controlled by the same owners.

This largely has to do w/whether a good faith effort was made in terms of how First Capital (1BE landlord) was compensated.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Stretching well beyond Downtown; but Organic Garage now has ambitious expansion dreams of up to 22 additional locations across south-central and south-western Ontario.

1636163258999.png

jacnel

Member Bio
Reaction score
Stretching well beyond Downtown; but Organic Garage now has ambitious expansion dreams of up to 22 additional locations across south-central and south-western Ontario.

View attachment 360981
Guelph will be a difficult market to get into. My home city, it's full of organic grocers with Goodness Me holding a big portion of the market. There's also a lot of competition from traditional grocers like Zehrs.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Guelph will be a difficult market to get into. My home city, it's full of organic grocers with Goodness Me holding a big portion of the market. There's also a lot of competition from traditional grocers like Zehrs.

I haven't spoken to Matt Lurie about this (CEO of OG); but I would assume they will target DT Guelph, the other likely choice would be near the university.

While I'm semi-familiar w/Guelph, I'm not sure of the competitive situation on the ground in those two spots.

My recollection was that none of the majors had space right in DT. Where the University I think had NF close by, and a Metro a bit further out.

jacnel

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to Matt Lurie about this (CEO of OG); but I would assume they will target DT Guelph, the other likely choice would be near the university.

While I'm semi-familiar w/Guelph, I'm not sure of the competitive situation on the ground in those two spots.

My recollection was that none of the majors had space right in DT. Where the University I think had NF close by, and a Metro a bit further out.
Downtown would be the better option, right now Stone Road is becoming a bit saturated. While Downtown only has a Goodness me and a Zehrs, Food Basics, slightly up Eramosa Rd, Stone Rd has a No Frills at Gordon, a Walmart at Edinburgh, a Metro also at Edinburgh, and now a Farm Boy at Scottsdale. The last thing that part of Guelph needs is yet another grocery store.