News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Market 63 by Coppa's at 1 York Street has permanently closed:

I have gone here a few times while working in the area. I found this store to be lacking and really not anything to write home about.

Not surprised they are closing, the selection is poor and the store was always empty.

West end natural grocer 'The Sweet Potato' is adding a second outpost, this one in the east end.

It's adding a 16,000ft2 store at the base of The Stack, on Bayview. Approx. opening November 2022:

*cross-posted* to 'The Stack thread, here:

Metro now offers a "cardboard box" option for delivery instead of using plastic bags, which I imagine is coming with the new laws restricting single use plastics.

I ordered a delivery today for the first time in a while and picked that option and can report they are very good. They are like bankers boxes, though wider and without the lid. But the good part is they are still that very sturdy cardboard. One box had about 8 large cans in it plus some other items and it easily held all that weight. Also, like bankers boxes, you can carefully disassemble them back to their flat state. I like that as I can conceive using them in the future to carry stuff. Otherwise, they are easy to toss in the recycling. A good change to stop with the plastic bags which they frankly overused for orders, sometimes putting single items in their own bag for no real reason so your delivery would have like 20 bags.

No specific news........but a bump for a reason just the same.

There's been a real surge in interest in downtown/urban grocery spaces by all the majors in the last few months.

A couple of developers are actually seeing competition for their supermarket-ready spaces (planned or under construction).

Look for several announcements over the next 12-18 months.

With multiple new stores opening in 18 month-4 year time range.

There's been a real surge in interest in downtown/urban grocery spaces by all the majors in the last few months.

A couple of developers are actually seeing competition for their supermarket-ready spaces (planned or under construction).

Peter and Adelaide?

Metro Centre has recently boarded up all their empty storefronts. It feels like something is happening soon - maybe that long-rumoured LCBO and Farm Boy?
But for some reason, not the empty Starbucks. Which makes me wonder if that's coming back eventually.

But for some reason, not the empty Starbucks. Which makes me wonder if that's coming back eventually.

Surprisingly the Starbucks that was vacated from the Hyatt has reopened in the exact same spot. So definitely possible.

Although this neighbourhood probably had the highest density of Starbucks in Toronto at some point.

Fun fact: I worked my entire 8 hours at Starbucks there before getting let go.

8 hours... that was all I managed to last at Starbucks

You knew you weren't allowed to spell out those words w/the foam on top of Cappuccino! Don't act so innocent! LOL

I hope someone will think of Yorkville. At Manulife, I have nothing to complain about obviously, but thousands of apartments are in the pipeline around here and we have actually lost grocery space with the closure of McEwen (not crying about that one though).

I do think this part of the city had the most Starbucks/km pre-pandemic. Hard to say if Metro Centre's will come back. With WSIB leaving for London soon, a lot more of the tenants at neighbouring Simcoe Place have packed it in recently. I suppose the new TD Tower will help in about a year though.

You knew you weren't allowed to spell out those words w/the foam on top of Cappuccino! Don't act so innocent! LOL

LOLOLOLOLOL!

Actually I got let go for acting stupid and doing feats of strength with the espresso. I was downing 20 shot espressos to show off with the cute barista and tying up the machine during training.

Later on when they reconciled their tips, I got a cheque for 1 cent from their US head office.

LOLOLOLOLOL!

Actually I got let go for acting stupid and doing feats of strength with the espresso. I was downing 20 shot espressos to show off with the cute barista and tying up the machine during training.

Later on when they reconciled their tips, I got a cheque for 1 cent from their US head office.

Don't leave us hanging...was the cute barista sufficiently impressed to make the economic sacrifice worth it?

Back