4.7K     0 

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Planning a vibrant Downtown for all
February 15, 2018

Join in a Downtown Public Places drop-in engagement session and help build a vibrant, safe and welcoming downtown for everyone. Learn why this project is important and share your ideas on the kind of public places we need Downtown. Input will be used to inform the vision of the Plan and areas of improvement the Plan needs to address.

Date: Wednesday, February 28
Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Date: Thursday, March 1
Time: 4 - 8 p.m.

Date: Saturday, March 3
Time: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Location: City Market, City Hall, 1 Sir Winston Churchill Square

Date: Thursday, March 8
Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 4 - 7 p.m.

Downtown public places provide space for Edmontonians to socialize, celebrate, recharge and live life. These places need to act as the playgrounds, resting spots and social spaces for residents, workers and visitors, while also providing great locations to host international and local festivals, events, commerce, arts and culture. The Downtown Public Places Plan will help guide direction for open space development, design and programming in Downtown Edmonton and the Quarters Downtown.

For more information:
http://www.edmonton.ca/downtownpublicplaces
downtownpublicplaces@edmonton.ca

Media contact:
Denise Gee
Senior Communications Advisor
Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development
780-496-5633

:(
Reference ID:Job No 429999404-002
Description:To demolish a Single Detached House.
Plan NB Blk 2 Lot 52
Applicant:VISCO DEMOLITION CONTRACTORS
Create Date:4/13/2022 2:53:19 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 9.43.17 PM.png

I don't recall a DP for this site, but believe there was also an intent to have a connection through the site to the garden and even expand it (which would be odd on the Northside of a tower such as that.

My buddy used to live in the yellow house beside this one and it was not long ago that both were occupied by multiple tenants and had a mini-community between the two.

In my mind these two should have been raised and put on new foundations, renovated and retained as character houses for law firms or even sold as historic single family.

The erosion of character continues:(

:(
Reference ID:Job No 429999404-002
Description:To demolish a Single Detached House.
Plan NB Blk 2 Lot 52
Applicant:VISCO DEMOLITION CONTRACTORS
Create Date:4/13/2022 2:53:19 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

View attachment 393851
So will this just become another empty lot - so many in this area. Almost all the old character houses in this area have been torn down over the last few years and the area is definitely not as nice with all the empty lots.

I suppose it is demolition by stealth, let the buildings run down and then say it costs to much to fix them and then tear them down. It might be a bit better if something nice was put in its place, but nothing new has been built on any of the empty lots in this area.

Edmonton sure knows how to tear down buildings and leave empty lots. Are we in a some sort of competion for ugly vacant lots with Detroit that I don't know about?

That's often in the shade and kinda middle of nowhere because the owner of the home didn't want to retain it and spend the dollars to ensure some character remained in the area:(

I don't recall a DP for this site, but believe there was also an intent to have a connection through the site to the garden and even expand it (which would be odd on the Northside of a tower such as that.

My buddy used to live in the yellow house beside this one and it was not long ago that both were occupied by multiple tenants and had a mini-community between the two.

In my mind these two should have been raised and put on new foundations, renovated and retained as character houses for law firms or even sold as historic single family.

The erosion of character continues:(
Correct, the Parks department wanted to connect Urban Eden Community Garden to the broader open space network Downtown and unfortunately this house's lot was the most direct option. The house is not even on the Inventory of Historic Resources so that doesn't help...

Correct, the Parks department wanted to connect Urban Eden Community Garden to the broader open space network Downtown and unfortunately this house's lot was the most direct option. The house is not even on the Inventory of Historic Resources so that doesn't help...
I am afraid we already have far too much of an "open space network" downtown (read: empty lots) and we really do not need more - how can people (especially City staff(!)) not see this?

I hadn't heard of the Open Spaces Network before, so I did some digging. Here's some context from the June 2020 Downtown Public Spaces Plan. It looked at a few different parts of downtown as well, so I think I'll make a separate thread for this.
Eden1.PNG
Eden2.PNG
Eden3.PNG
Eden4.PNG

Back