News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Safe, inviting, accessible and amenity rich.

YEGDT must work on its residential population and retail offerings.

Reactions: God
I feel it's worth adding the map of what Statistics Canada considers Downtown for context

Screenshot_20221020_143348.jpg

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/en/pub/91f0015m/2021001/m-c/m-c-edmonton-eng.pdf?st=VPT80rsn

I know I've mentioned this before, but the idea of 20,000 people by 2020 was kicking around from the old Downtown Vibrancy Task Force. To achieve this, say 7000 people and 250 per building is 30ish buildings.

So what you're saying is we should build even more new apartments around Stadium to bump up our numbers! ;)
Haha, let's get rid of the empty lots in the core first!

But really it's an exercise in drawing a boundary, and depending on where you define "downtown" you'll get different data. I don't doubt the accuracy of the density in this boundary, but take out anything north of 104th ave and add the rest of Oliver to 124th and you'd likely get a different result.

Stats canada does have their Definition of downtowns as:
Downtown core: The dissemination areas encompassing the highest job density based on the place of work information from the census.
Downtown neighbourhood: Area composed of the downtown core, and the encompassing one-kilometre adjacent area surrounding the core

So the comparison still holds up as long as other cities are held to the same definition.

I know I've mentioned this before, but the idea of 20,000 people by 2020 was kicking around from the old Downtown Vibrancy Task Force. To achieve this, say 7000 people and 250 per building is 30ish buildings.
Math adds up, but we do have bigger projects, with much more units than 250/building proposed and/or under construction. I think 20ish buildings would likely get us there. 15ish is we consider that we have towers with a lot of vacancy right now (looking at you Stantec) and one that is under conversion, currently. That is still a lot of towers, nonetheless, but with the right incentives (both public realm and new businesses), might be achievable by the end of the decade.

30 bids already apparently.
This would be a beautiful place to add some retail in a mixed use development. Especially a grocery store. Grandin is a great neighborhood but bit of a retail desert.

Groceries are nearby, but how about a bakery, cafe and local live music joint.

Back