News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/dtos/

The City of Toronto is currently undertaking a study of downtown transportation operations. The purpose of the DTOS is to identify and address congestion and traffic operations issues in downtown Toronto. The study will develop near–to–medium term improvements to the existing surface transportation network that will help to achieve safe and efficient transportation in the downtown.

The Study is being undertaken at the same time as several other transportation-related studies that some may see as having overlapping interests or objectives. For example, the “Feeling Congested?†public consultation initiative and the Richmond-Adelaide Cycle Track Environmental Assessment (EA) are both currently underway, and both studies deal with transportation issues.

However, their respective objectives differ from those of the DTOS. The “Feeling Congested?†initiative and the Richmond-Adelaide Cycle Track EA are mostly related to the need for new infrastructure for transit and cycling, respectively, and both of those studies are part of longer-term efforts to provide alternatives to private automobile transportation.

The DTOS, on the other hand, is about getting more out of the existing transportation infrastructure, in an attempt to make travel in the downtown less challenging and more efficient for all road users.

The DTOS is:
  • Focused on transportation into, out of, and within the study area.
  • Committed to helping all road users.
  • Based on the existing surface transportation network.
  • Intent on identifying near-term and medium-term solutions to operational issues.

Public Consultation
The City will host a Drop-In-Centre located in the rotunda at Metro Hall, 55 John Street, on Wednesday, March 27th, between noon and 9:30 p.m.

Being a mod, surprised you didn't just post this in the current DRL thread :p

That said, I really think the TTC should look to running a BRT service until they can get a subway built.
How is this related to either DRL or BRT? Neither is discussed in the scope. This is about traffic lights, parking, road and turn restrictions. Nothing to do with proposed BRT or subway lines.

I think placing it in the DRL thread would be a misrepresentation of the scope of this study.

I hope people suggest giving the streetcars their own ROW on King and Queen, and not allowing any parking in the remaining car lanes.

I hope people suggest giving the streetcars their own ROW on King and Queen, and not allowing any parking in the remaining car lanes.

Ford is hoping they recommend full removal of all streetcar services.

I expect the middle ground will be official recommendation (nothing can be done, steady as she goes).

Ford is hoping they recommend full removal of all streetcar services.

I expect the middle ground will be official recommendation (nothing can be done, steady as she goes).

Does anybody care about what Ford wants, especially on the transit file? He's already proven himself to be totally incompetent. Hence the reason that City Council has ignored him on many issues, including transit.

If the report recommends a ROW and Council supports it then it will be built. No matter how much Baby Ford screams and cries.

Does anybody care about what Ford wants, especially on the transit file? He's already proven himself to be totally incompetent. Hence the reason that City Council has ignored him on many issues, including transit.

When City Council gives you direction months after the fact and Ford just goes stomping through the office yelling random things at senior management, yes, if I was senior management I would still try to placate the crazy man who can still make my life a nightmare.

When City Council gives you direction months after the fact and Ford just goes stomping through the office yelling random things at senior management, yes, if I was senior management I would still try to placate the crazy man who can still make my life a nightmare.

Stintz did the same thing. 3 months after voting to bring back the Transit City version of ECLRT and SRT, she proposed to scap the idea and have her One City plan with the SRT cancelled and the B-D extended to STC. She really did loose all credibility then.

Stintz did the same thing. 3 months after voting to bring back the Transit City version of ECLRT and SRT, she proposed to scap the idea and have her One City plan with the SRT cancelled and the B-D extended to STC. She really did loose all credibility then.

Yup, which makes it all the more difficult on staff.

I stand corrected, I didn't comprehend it properly...

I think the best quick-fix would be to direct through traffic away from King and Queen to Richmond and Adelaide. Put up signage along K/Q saying "Local traffic only" to discourage people from driving along these streets and getting stuck behind a streetcar.

Another idea which just came to mind could be to make King and Queen one way... but with a twist. The right side of the road would become an expanded pedestrian sidewalk, thus allowing boarding without impeding traffic. The right streetcar lane would be reserved for them, while the left streetcar lane would be for cars and perhaps a backup if there is something wrong along the line. The far left lane would be for parking and left turns.

Just some thoughts that I came up with on how they should improve the downtown core.

Traffic Light Signals: When the signal reaches Green, the lights should be straight only allowed for the first 45 seconds for pedestrians to cross, then after those 45 seconds, change the light from straight green to all direction green. This will make it easier for car drivers and provide safety for people crossing the streets.

Streetcars: they need to be improved as in they need separation from cars in certain sections (hard to do, i know). It is quite annoying to see a streetcar about half a km away with your own eyes and see it arrive 10 minutes later.

Subways: promote usage of the university branch (thats usually much emptier than the yonge branch), build the DRL (i can't complain, everyone likes to see subways)

Bike Lanes: roads need to be designated where bikes are the main priority with basic separation. Roads that are designated for bikes should not be a car heavy road, making it feel much safer. And it must be made difficult for cars to park in those bike lanes.

Yonge Street Sidewalks: Widen them, there too narrow for the pedestrian traffic that it recieves.

1-a)ROW between the DVP and Roncesvalles on both King and Queen
1-b)No parking allowed at all time between between the DVP and Roncesvalles on both King and Queen
1-c) Bike lanes

2-Traffic from King and Queen will be diverted to both Adelaide and Richmond

3-ROW on Bathurst between Bloor and Fleet with no parking allowed

4-ROW on Dundas and College/Carlton between Roncesvalles and Parliament, no parking allowed, bike lanes

5-Build DRL to decrease the use of cars from people living in fast growing areas like Liberty Village and Cityplace to connect them to the rapid transit network

6-Turn the Lakeshore lines into (France RER service) ASAP. Frequent service all day with hybrid stations with the subway will greatly increase the GO ridership, subway ridership and decrease the need to drive from the suburb to the city.

Chatelet les halles RER Commuter
Picture-11-590x290.png

Chatelet subway station
ImageCache

A King ROW isn't that smart, the streetcar service will likely end once the DRL comes online. I support a queen ROW though, that is unlikely to end service.

Back