News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The TRCA is now examining a draft Trail Strategy for the Greater Toronto Area.

This strategy is part wishlist, part planning exercise and very much a compelling argument for public funds.

It envisions a vast number of trails, hiking trails, multi-use trails, bike lanes, and even paddling routes for the whole GTA.

It also provided a plethora of info, including the state of those routes (conceptual, planning, detailed design and/or construction) and assigns priorities based on said state as well as strategic value.

Here's the key map.

1543549319185.png

The link to the workbook this came from: https://laserfiche.trca.ca/WebLink/0/edoc/1562014/Draft Trail Strategy - Workbook (Nov 23, 2018).pdf

Over arching Report: https://laserfiche.trca.ca/WebLink/0/edoc/1562013/Draft Trail Strategy (Nov 23, 2018).pdf

1543549804802.png

1543549880825.png

1543549944414.png

Full Credit to the TRCA for the images, from their workbook, as linked in the above post.

Last edited:
^ Many thanks for the heads-up on this! I'll read up and add comment later. My immediate intrigue is not so much the "bike lanes" but the "paddling routes"...something unfortunately I can no longer do due to torn shoulder tendons and ligaments, but something for those who can who've been pretty much overlooked.

More comment later, this is fascinating...

Maybe the paddle routes can complement GO Lakeshore. Steve Munro's swan boats aren't too far away. ;)

Maybe the paddle routes can complement GO Lakeshore. Steve Munro's swan boats aren't too far away. ;)
lol! Actually a high-speed ferry service along and across the lakefront (to St Kitt's area) might not be a bad concept that could be considered...lake ice is not what it used to be.

Niagara to Toronto ferry service.

Niagara to Toronto ferry service.
Yeah...albeit there might only be limited numbers from Niagara. I'm trying to think of a way from Hamilton and east along the south shore, and St Kitt's was an attempt at a compromise, but the answer might be Niagara *and* another stop towards Hamilton before cutting to Toronto. We're off-topic for this string, but very on-topic in another. Let's move this to another string, it might be a better way of serving the Niagara Peninsular since GO is being stymied there.

A few notes from me:

I'm pleased to see the Meadoway concept being pursued for most major utility corridors. Its one I was a very early supporter of and encouraged the TRCA to look at as a template.

I'm also generally encouraged by the comprehensiveness of the proposal, this is the sort of bold thinking I've encouraged in various agencies and departments. I've used the naturalization of the mouth of the Don as a key
example of being able to capture the broader public's imagination, which can leverage both charitable and government support.

Not every project lends itself to that type of thinking and one must be careful not to ignore the less 'sexy' needs. But we also can't wait forever to invest in environmental (and recreational) priorities.

I'd like to see more of this around key restoration/protection sites in the GTA. My personal list includes a dozen or more priority areas to acquire for protection, and maybe 1/2 that many again for restoration, where there is a compelling ecological gain to be had.

Massive update on this.

Strategy is now being rolled out.

An update is going to the next meeting of the TRCA Board of Directors on February 26th, 2021.

Many of these will be cycling routes (the majority) but a small number are hiking trails only (unpaved).

The update is too large for to publish all of it here.

So first...........the report appendix (which has all the good stuff in it): https://pub-trca.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=6828

Then, I'm going to post only the City of Toronto sections below. There are also sections for Brampton, Pickering, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Markham and more.

A word on what's below:

Not all projects are funded yet; but many are. They are, however, in alphabetical order of project name. Funding is indicated in the Project Status column.

P = Planning; D= Design, C= Construction in the schedule columns.

Note that some projects have a C for this year, but currently lack funding. As a rule of thumb, I would suggest a positive take on the project being calendared already, even though formal funding may not yet be in place.

Here we go:

1614016036941.png

1614016058991.png

1614016090851.png

1614016127919.png

1614016169190.png

1614016199903.png

Maps:

1614016247621.png

1614016285385.png

For those more keen on the suburban trails, lots of projects there!

Brampton, in particular will see many new trails; but also a trail connection is coming.........to the Gormley GO Stn!

Massive update on this.

Strategy is now being rolled out.

An update is going to the next meeting of the TRCA Board of Directors on February 26th, 2021.

Many of these will be cycling routes (the majority) but a small number are hiking trails only (unpaved).

The update is too large for to publish all of it here.

So first...........the report appendix (which has all the good stuff in it): https://pub-trca.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=6828

Then, I'm going to post only the City of Toronto sections below. There are also sections for Brampton, Pickering, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Markham and more.

A word on what's below:

Not all projects are funded yet; but many are. They are, however, in alphabetical order of project name. Funding is indicated in the Project Status column.

P = Planning; D= Design, C= Construction in the schedule columns.

Note that some projects have a C for this year, but currently lack funding. As a rule of thumb, I would suggest a positive take on the project being calendared already, even though formal funding may not yet be in place.

Here we go:

View attachment 301336

View attachment 301337
View attachment 301338

View attachment 301339
View attachment 301340
View attachment 301341

Maps:

View attachment 301342

View attachment 301343
For those more keen on the suburban trails, lots of projects there!

Brampton, in particular will see many new trails; but also a trail connection is coming.........to the Gormley GO Stn!

Bloor bikes lanes extending to Mississauaga. No brainer.

Bloor bikes lanes extending to Mississauaga. No brainer.

TRCA is only doing off-road trails/connections through natural areas or hydro corridors etc.

On-road is entirely up to the City.

Attachments

• 1615993428241.png
    1615993428241.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 238
Found a 'dashboard' showing the status of all Trails planned in the strategy.

It shows existing trail, conceptual trail (anything in the Strategy), in-planning trail (detailed design under way), and under construction.

View attachment 306267

Legend:

View attachment 306268

Source: https://camaps.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/87e0f19521834990be8f5b7a3d2d08c8

View attachment 306270

Meaning 52.9% of the conceptual trail network is in place.

View attachment 306271

Some things are definitely missing though,

Existing like the Yellow Creek trail, is not on the map.

And approved, like the Davenport Diamond path and the Greenway path.

I guess those are city/MX projects etc.

Just saying that this map doesnt necessarily show everything.

Back