Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thread for Duke Tower Kitchener. Currently the tallest building under construction in the city, I'm fairly certain it has just topped out.

sh2TIFG.jpg

N8CEbKX.jpg

Photo credit: ac3r

This building has an absolutely horrendous podium but it does have nice height and the tower cladding appears to be turning out a little nicer.

By the way, IN8 has a few more projects planned for Kitchener, Kingston and Hamilton, if anyone's willing to dig through those cities' development portals and update us... :p

39 stories is really nothing here. Over there though, it makes stand out like the Eiffel tower. 😲

Lots of cranes...
I can see 15 out of the approximately 27? cranes up in all of KW from here, and the building I'm taking the picture from is about 20 floors tall. Already a pretty high figure for a North American city, though most of the reason for being able to see so many is probably the absence of high rise construction before. Toronto's really on a whole different level.

Photoset taken today during an evening walk downtown. Find other photos in my post here.

Upper window wall has been slow on this one, but it seems to be almost done officially. With DTK and Charlie taking occupancy within the coming months it will be interesting to see the effects it has on how busy the surround areas become.

Now being more complete, I'd say the building feels inoffensive overall (excluding the podium), though suffers from both lackluster materials and an inexperienced architecture firm, it reads like something from RAW Design, meaning too many ideas at once. (common in the projects across the region).

The parking lot on Queen this photo is taken from would be another great spot for a tower.

PXL_20210916_232312201.jpg

The first time I've been around Victoria Park with an event actually happening since Pre-covid. Always a reminder that the field makes a great large scale event space with an emerging skyline view.

DTK in peaking out in the back.

PXL_20210916_224737045.jpg

Speaking on Victoria Park, a lot of Downtown Kitchener's housing is actually located in the neighborhood adjacent to the park (right hand side of photo). There's many smaller scale projects in that area that I don't want to spam with new threads but I would like to make note of them.

In this picture:
Yellow Crane is for OTIS by Vive Developments (Condo, 6 Stories)
Black Crane is for 242 Queen by Vive Developments (Rental, 10 stories)
The yellow building peaking out behind the yellow crane is Arrow II by Auburn Developments (Condo, 16 Stories)

PXL_20210916_224925393.jpg

Back on to DTK Condos, only two years ago this view was rather barren, with a few proposals upcoming, that will be far from the case soon.

PXL_20210916_223743791.jpg

DTK poking up behind Young Condos. Also funny that SRM Architects has there office visible here, the one's who designed it.

PXL_20210916_230416514.jpg

Back